Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Anyone ever use one? There are a few services...usually $100 ....which did you use and how we're the results? Worth the Hondo or not?

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thought about. Not done it.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Did one for dog to see if it was a pit bull, it wasn't it was boston terrier mix.

Adalwolf
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The company I looked up only gave you your primary race. Took a whole lot more money to get real details.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably hoping to see a bit of Genghis in there huh?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know a few people who have done it and it seems to give correct results.

abusus non tollit usum
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It verified what I already knew. I'm R1b1c.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife gave me a kit a year or so ago. It was the National Geographic Genographic kit. It was easy to use and I was kind of surprised that it didn't take vey long to get the results back, but I was kind of disappointed in the results. I expected that the results might give some detailed information about where my ancestors came from. It was all pretty general.

My brother has done a good bit of research on our family and we know that the vast majority of our ancestors came from Scotland and England in the 1600 and 1700's. We also know that we are descendants of Native Americans on both our father's side of the family as well as our mother's side of the family.

The results stated that our ancestors came from northern Europe and England. I guess that is a pretty safe statement, but it failed to determine that we had any Native American ancestry at all. I just figured that since the NA blood is only a few generations back on both sides of the family, that a recognizable % of our history would have followed the NA blood lines. They missed it.

I don't know if the test that were run tracks only the male side of the family or if it covers DNA contributed by both male and female parents. The Native American DNA contributions would have both come from the female side of the union.

It was interesting and sort of confirmed what I already knew for the majority of my ancestry. I just guess I expected more information from the advertising I had seen on the project.

Harry
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mathsr
My wife gave me a kit a year or so ago. It was the National Geographic Genographic kit. It was easy to use and I was kind of surprised that it didn't take vey long to get the results back, but I was kind of disappointed in the results. I expected that the results might give some detailed information about where my ancestors came from. It was all pretty general.

My brother has done a good bit of research on our family and we know that the vast majority of our ancestors came from Scotland and England in the 1600 and 1700's. We also know that we are descendants of Native Americans on both our father's side of the family as well as our mother's side of the family.

The results stated that our ancestors came from northern Europe and England. I guess that is a pretty safe statement, but it failed to determine that we had any Native American ancestry at all. I just figured that since the NA blood is only a few generations back on both sides of the family, that a recognizable % of our history would have followed the NA blood lines. They missed it.

I don't know if the test that were run tracks only the male side of the family or if it covers DNA contributed by both male and female parents. The Native American DNA contributions would have both come from the female side of the union.

It was interesting and sort of confirmed what I already knew for the majority of my ancestry. I just guess I expected more information from the advertising I had seen on the project.

It's been a few years, but both my wife and I had the national geographic report done. It's just from memory and not digging out the files, but i think they only did one side, in the case of me, being male, they did my fathers line, in my wife's case they did the female.
She has native american and the report did not cover the lineage of the ancestor they traced, so i am thinking it is determined by the male ancestor. I know you can get a much more detailed report from other sources. Hers came back relatively quick, mine was quite delayed as they had to spend much more time with it, and retest it. Seems my markers are only found in about 10% of north europeans, and dates back to beyond the ice age in the steppes of russia.
I like to say on my fathers side it was eric the red, and my mothers it was attila the hun given her blood lines. Which accounts for my personality.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
whats also interesting, at least to me, is anyone with my last name or a version of it, is most likely related to a couple of brothers who got off the boat in the early 1700's from germany.
today of course there are a lot of people, culminating among some, at a national reunion of some thousands of people.
It has been thought to do a common dna test among all of us that would participate to establish the relationship, but hasn't been done as of yet.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was lucky in this regard as my grandmother was a genealogist. She made a book for my sister and I with our family history dating back to the late 1500s -early 1600s if I recall correctly. Pretty neat stuff. I bet she had most of her house filled with the stuff. She pretty much knew the family histories of every old name in Eastern Washington County Maine.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (anothergun, Amos63, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,688 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,828
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.