-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
My grandfather, dad's dad. Died Tue at the age of 92. Worked thru the depression, latter wave at Normandy, fought through the Bulge. Went to Korea. After 34 years in the army he and grandma drove a truck while preaching in small baptist churches for 40 years. Left an amazing mark and legacy on my family and myself. Seldom spoke of his time in Europe so my aunts and uncles asked him a few years ago to allow them to record his memoirs so he only had to talk once. Some amazing stories. Grandma still has the Walther he took off of a German officer. Told of "liberating" a German truck in Bastogne of some blankets only to wake up shivering in the middle of the night to find his "buddies" had liberated his blankets! Drill instructor for Alvin York's grandson. He and Grandma celebrated 70 years of marriage a few weeks ago.

He watched Saving Private Ryan when it came out for purchase and sat completely silent throughout the whole movie. Shed a few tears and when it was over he looked at dad and said "well they got that one pretty close to reality for once."

I'm sure many of you have similar stories to tell. Thanks for allowing me to share mine! Have a great weekend!!

Phil

Last edited by philgood80; 03/07/14.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stand down trooper, you have done your duty.

Present Arms!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
God bless him, I lost my grandpa who was in the bulge and later korea in 98' I cherish the few stories he told me, and only me, They truly were the greatest generation. My best to you and yours, i realize that you now have a void that will never be filled, but reflect on his memory and smile.

Coop-

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
May he rest in peace.

μολὼν λαβέ
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A final salute once again, to the type of every day American that made this country great......

now its time to serve the Lord, in the Big House on the Hill....
the body may finally be gone, but the soul is now reborn..

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry to hear of your grandpa's passing. He indeed was of a special breed.

RIP Grandpa, Thank you for your service to this great country.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RIP Grandpa. Your duty has been fulfilled.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
May he rest in peace.

Thank you for sharing a small part of your Grandfather with us, Phil.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Sorry for your loss Phil.

It sounds like Grandpa was a good one to have, here is hoping he knew how most Americans feel about his service to God and Country.

Interesting on the movie being close, I wondered how accurate that was... very hard to watch without having a true sense of gratitude to those young men. It is amazing anyone made it past the beach landing.

If you end up hosting the audio of grandpa I am sure some of us would love to experience his time.

70 Yrs is pretty uncommon. Hope grandma does well after her loss. I know many who don't last long after loosing their love, please keep her occupied if possible.

Allen

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks all for the kind words!! This had been expected for a few months as his health had been in decline recently. Grandma will have no problem keeping busy. She blows my email up on a daily basis!!! Thankfully dad and his brother both live within an hour and will check on her a couple of times a week. We never realize how much those closest to us mean until they are gone!! Take care.

Hemi, I'll see if I can find the video. It would be neat to transfer it to a digital format and then to YouTube. We will see.

Last edited by philgood80; 03/07/14.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
May God hold him close.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Indeed God Bless your Granddad and his past Buddies!

My Dad and 5 Uncles went off to fight the Germans in WW2 ,vary seldom talked about the WAR to us ,my Uncle Rudy went off to fight the Japanese and was never the same again ,he hated the Japs till the day he died ,at times he would talk the War and the Japs hiding in palm trees as snipers ,and at times would come down at night to cut and stab Marines..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to hear about your grandfather. May he rest in honored peace.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sincerest condolences for his passing and your family's loss and heartfelt gratitude for his service.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by philgood80
My grandfather, dad's dad. Died Tue at the age of 92. Worked thru the depression, latter wave at Normandy, fought through the Bulge. Went to Korea. After 34 years in the army he and grandma drove a truck while preaching in small baptist churches for 40 years. Left an amazing mark and legacy on my family and myself. Seldom spoke of his time in Europe so my aunts and uncles asked him a few years ago to allow them to record his memoirs so he only had to talk once. Some amazing stories. Grandma still has the Walther he took off of a German officer. Told of "liberating" a German truck in Bastogne of some blankets only to wake up shivering in the middle of the night to find his "buddies" had liberated his blankets! Drill instructor for Alvin York's grandson. He and Grandma celebrated 70 years of marriage a few weeks ago.

He watched Saving Private Ryan when it came out for purchase and sat completely silent throughout the whole movie. Shed a few tears and when it was over he looked at dad and said "well they got that one pretty close to reality for once."

I'm sure many of you have similar stories to tell. Thanks for allowing me to share mine! Have a great weekend!!

Phil
The world is a lesser place. Prayers for you and your family.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Wishing you and your family the best. My grandpa isn't far behind. He's 92 and his health is fading fast as well.

He too spent time in Europe in WWII and to this day hasn't said a word about it to anyone but my uncle who was in Nam.

God Bless your Granddad.

Camp is where you make it.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
May he rest in peace.

Thank you for sharing a small part of your Grandfather with us, Phil.

Ed

+1

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
www.intheirwords.org/the_veterans?q...amp;submitted_search_category=&mode=

This link (if it works) is to the AETN bundle of veterans voice recorded memoirs. You can go to intheirwords.org and listen to dozens of these. I am working on digitizing the VHS of his family recorded video.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Condolence's to you and us all. Even not knowing your Grandfather, I know I am better off because of him and those like him. You were blessed to have had him.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
So sorry to hear of your family's loss. May your Grandfather enjoy eternity with his Savior.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 1234, 54 invisible), 3,196 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,663
Posts18,534,077
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.