Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I was driving along on the freeway today (on my way to the taxidermy shop to pick up a Whitetail mount) when out my window and sitting on a 6" deep snow patch, what do I see, but a double chubby Gopher!
The temperature was 38 degrees and I was at 5,100' elevation but the sun was shining and the wind was NOT blowing at the time.
The sighting made my spirits lift significantly - its been a long, cold and windy winter here in SW Montana!
I slowed down, but continued on looking for more "Varmints" - no more were to be seen though.
Once at the taxidermist shop I relayed my sighting and the taxidermist was surprised at the early observation.
He also perked up as he explained that the early season Badgers are the ones he likes to collect and skin for profit.
His theory was the Badgers become more active when the Ground Squirrels first show up above ground in the spring.
I think it will be 3 or 4 more weeks before Huntable numbers are above ground - but todays sighting sure had a positive effect on me!
Come on spring.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Tie him to a rock. I'll be right there.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

I'm going to catch you one and fed ex it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen a few out the last couple weeks and my brother and his buddy shot a couple one day at least 3 weeks ago. With all the snow melting they better know how to swim if they are going to come up this week. Everything is a pond around here. Even if they do start coming up, it's to muddy to drive around shootin them.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
fianc�'s grandpa said he has seen a couple of them popping up in his hay field. Easter needs to hurry up and get here cause im ready to go flip some gophers. Be my first time ever doing it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here in s.w. Idaho they've been out for about a month. On nice sunny days without wind there's quite a few out. I've shot 18 but we're not shooting a lot of them until the pups are out, which should be right away. I just had to get out and get a few after the long winter. No snow left here and our elevation is around 2200' or so. I've been looking for badgers but they don't seem to be real active yet.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just love to shoot snowphers.

VarmintLooney -

�When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.� Ronald Reagan
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by deflave

I'm going to catch you one and fed ex it.

Send him the mean one with a long criminal history...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just in case anyone is intrested, the Idaho Varmint Hunter's annual Whistlepig Tournament is April 12th. Registration is from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. at Sportsman's Warehouse in Nampa, ID. Rules will be read and check in time will be given then. Entry fee is $40.00 per two man team. Anybody is welcome to enter. For more information please go to idahovarminthunters.com and check out our forum.
By the way "whistlepigs" are ground squirrels in s.w. Idaho. Don't ask me why!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 20 invisible), 1,821 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,356
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.