-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
On February 11, 2014, the Obama administration announced a �National Strategy for Combating Wildlife Trafficking� and a proposal to ban all U.S. commercial trade in elephant ivory. Two weeks later, the director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issued an order announcing the steps it would take to implement that ban.

While the goal of restricting illegal commerce in endangered species is laudable�hunters in America and around the world are second to no one in seeking protection and restoration of species such as elephants and rhinos�the effects of the ivory ban would be disastrous for American gun owners and sportsmen.

Ivory has been used in gun making for centuries, just as it has been used in fine furniture, jewelry, or musical instruments. Ivory is widely used in rifle and shotgun sights and sight inserts, and for ornamental inlays in rifle and shotgun stocks. Custom handguns�such as General George S. Patton�s famous revolvers�are also often fitted with ivory grips.[1] Ivory is also widely used in related accessories used by hunters and fishermen, such as knife handles, and handles for gun cleaning equipment and tools.

Sale of all of those items could be banned if the Obama administration�s proposal goes into effect as stated.

For decades, the United States has generally banned the commercial importation of African elephant ivory other than antique items more than 100 years old; it also bans the commercial export of all raw ivory and strictly regulates export of worked ivory.[2] However, legally imported ivory may be sold within the U.S., because the Fish and Wildlife Service has long presumed that most ivory in the U.S. was legally imported and that its sale in the U.S. would not increase poaching.[3]

But now, the FWS plans to revoke the current regulatory exception allowing commerce in lawfully imported elephant ivory within the U.S.[4] A White House fact sheet elaborates, stating that the administration�s new rule will �prohibit sales within a state unless the seller can demonstrate an item was lawfully imported prior to 1990 for African elephants and 1975 for Asian elephants, or under an exemption document.�[5]

At a February 26, 2014 hearing of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service director Daniel M. Ashe confirmed that under the FWS�s policy to �end the legal commerce in ivory,� it will be illegal to sell any firearm or other item that contains any amount of ivory and that is less than 100 years old. Even for items at least 100 years old, the burden of proof would be on the seller to show that the ivory is old enough�a nearly impossible burden to carry, since even a firearm or other item more than 100 years old may have been restored with newer ivory parts. Meeting the FWS standards of proof would be challenging and expensive, as FWS will require evidence such as scientific testing, a �qualified appraisal,� or other �detailed history� information ranging from family photos to �ethnographic fieldwork.�[6]

Consider the following scenarios:

A gun owner inherits, and wants to sell, a valuable antique rifle containing ivory parts. While the rifle is undoubtedly more than 100 years old, it also shows signs of more recent restoration. Will the owner be able to show that all of the ivory parts are more than 100 years old?
A gunsmith is asked to repair a pre-World War II shotgun. To do so in the correct fashion for the period, he needs to replace the sight�s elephant ivory bead, which is only one-eighth of an inch in diameter.[7] Under the FWS proposal, he would be unable to obtain the raw materials to complete the repairunless a seller could show that this tiny amount of ivory was lawfully imported before 1990 (if it came from an African elephant) or before 1975 (if it came from an Asian elephant).
A dealer in fine firearms has an even more recent, and highly valuable, custom rifle that comes with custom-made matching accessories such as ivory-handled screwdrivers and ivory-inlaid oil bottles.[8] Under the FWS proposal, the dealer could not sell this work of art as a setunless he could show that the accessories were made from legally imported �grandfathered� ivory.
Most important, restricting trade in these items�all made of ivory from elephants taken long ago�will do nothing to further current anti-poaching efforts, or to reduce the illicit trade in Africa, Asia and elsewhere.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Dang, am I the only one with ivory inlays in my gunstocks grin

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And what does this do to the use of pre-historic 'elephant' ivory when used instead? How would you prove that it is indeed not African or Asian? (Some mammoth ivory is wonderfully creamy in color and texture -not different than modern elephant ivory to any but an expert)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
[bleep] that [bleep]

B
B
"If you like your ivory, you can keep your ivory." So sayeth HRH BHO

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think we need to clone the Mammoths (ala Jurassic Park) so we can hunt them and keep the ivory. My 500 Jeffery and I are ready!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
As a Canuck this does not affect me, but I am angry none the less. More bs government interference that will do nothing to preventnpoaching but devalues or "freezes" private property.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
How would you prove that it is indeed not African or Asian?

How would you prove walrus, hippo and warthog, from elephant? Esp. if the burden of proof was on you.

MOLON LABE

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by watch4bear
How would you prove that it is indeed not African or Asian?

How would you prove walrus, hippo and warthog, from elephant? Esp. if the burden of proof was on you.

You'd have to have a frozen stool sample for the Feds to test. whistle

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
This ban does nothing except devalue the elephant. The now "protected" ele, have no value to community and village residents. Before this BS ban, a local outfitter would be called for a "problem" ele. The outfitter finds a US hunter that will take the problem ele at a discount price, but still a very good chunk of cash. Ele is shot, hunter is happy, village is happy and fed and outfitter and village prospers from the revenue. Now problem ele is shot by a local, ivory disappears and village gets some meat. No revenue for community or outfitter. This is only one scenario.

I have personal experience in this area when it come to the Polar Bear import ban. I have hunted black bears in central
Quebec for over ten years. We use a local taxidermist for rugs and such and pick them up the next year. About three years ago, This little taxidermist shop,30'x50'(2 workers) plus the owner, was literally floor to ceiling with Polar bear skins!! I asked the owner how many there were and he replied "over 200"! Fast forward to spring 2013. Same taxidermy shop moves to 5000 sq ft. building, which the owner told me he purchased. He now has 13 full time workers! I look around and there are Polar bear full body mounts in all phases of completion everywhere! He then brought me to his warehouse where there was at least 30-40 completed Polar bears in crates. Each crate had an 8x10 glossy of the bear and it's pose. I also noticed every crate had addresses on them. Most going to China. I also noticed that at least a dozen were going to the same name and shipping address! I asked the owner, "If you don't mind me asking, how much do one of these guys go for"? I was shocked when he told me $25,000-$50,000 US each!! He told me that over the past 3 years he has done over 600 Polar bears! I asked "How are you getting all of these" he told me the Inuits sell them to him for a couple thousand each.

These same bears were worth around $30,000-$40,000 each to US hunters. Now to replace the revenue that 10 bears a year would bring to a village, now 200 bears need to be killed!! So much for protecting the Polar bears Tree Huggers!!

This "Ivory Ban" will do the same in my opinion.

Kevin

Last edited by woods1126; 03/09/14.

And we know that all things work for the good for those who love The Lord, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8-28
IC B3

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
From what I read of the complete proposal, importation of legally taken elephant hunting trophies will be allowed, but limited to two animals per year.

Dale

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Looks like my Stradivarius violin with ivory inlays will be some expensive firewood. I'll have to get my antique grand piano's keys replaced. Antique billards balls, gone.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Obama never met a government regulation he didn't like!,

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by DHN
From what I read of the complete proposal, importation of legally taken elephant hunting trophies will be allowed, but limited to two animals per year.

For now, before long it will be one per year, then one per lifetime and then NONE.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JPK
Originally Posted by DHN

For now, before long it will be one per year, then one per lifetime and then NONE.

Old ivory is illegal no matter what, unless you satisfy the curiosity of the government bureaucracy. Imagine a small ivory pendant worn to another state; would this qualify for a lacy act violation, if you didn't have paperwork?

A White House fact sheet elaborates, stating that the administration�s new rule will �prohibit sales within a state unless the seller can demonstrate an item was lawfully imported prior to 1990

MOLON LABE

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 55 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,431
Posts18,489,256
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.