-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What's the spring shaping up like in NE Montana? I'm curious about the deer forage and the wintering statistics. How did the critters fair and how is the grub for them now.

Thanks in advance gentlemen,

Mark

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In a word, "perfect". Provided we don't get a brutal hot/dry summer, this fall should be outstanding.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Must be all the clean living folk up that way, Big Sky.
Although, I'm not sure its depravity (not counting Greenhorn) to blame for things kind of hurting on the weather front here in SW MT.
Maybe its a govt. conspiracy. It was right after tax day that it quit raining. We had basically nary a drop since until .5" this past weekend. The native grasses really took a beating the past couple of weeks. Things were turning brown here in the Gallatin, which just ain't supposed to happen in May. Further west, around Whitehall it basically hadn't greened up yet.
But now it appears the drizzles will return this week. Hallelujah! I have camelina and flax planted that were getting awful thirsty. Actually, what came up early was hanging on OK, & now the rest of it will come up, meaning I'll have two dramatically different stages of maturity in the same fields, but oh, well. Such is my lot...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rimrock-good to see you back, haven't noticed you around for a while.

Hopefully you've been out hunting bruins......?

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<Hopefully you've been out hunting bruins......?>

You and Troy will scoff, but I didn't even buy a bear tag. Distraction, and it's never been a big thing with me. Never shot one, in fact. Not that I'm against it or anything ;-).
Just too dang busy... In the last six weeks I have gone for one short hike in the Bridgers, & a slightly longer one in the Peaks. We're farming again, in addition to the other endeavors. It's a recurring bad habit, but I can quit anytime.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rimrock, fire me an email. Haven't seen hide nor hair of you in a long time. Let's get caught up.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No problem, I understand.

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My parents are in the very NE corner, and say it's good spring, but will likely need some more rain. Animals should have fared well up there from a moderate winter, but is that the NE part of MT you are asking about?

Mark, how's the hunting going? I haven't seen as many as usual by now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Greenhorn-we've had an excellent spring so far, and it is gonna get better. And yeah your right it has been a bit slower than most years.

My Dad has been awfully sick so I've not been to the hills as much as I would like but it has still been awfully good to us.

My wife keeps passin them up, me thinks she will only be happy with one that'll do 21.......grins

Gotta run, call me when you get a chance for lunch.

Mark D

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Cool Mark, have you been guiding?? How many bears taken so far? I shot one I'm real happy with early in the season, but have been going with friends about once or twice a week since then. Switching states after this weekend.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies fellas. And I hope you all get the weather and bruins ya'll need.

Mark

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (300_savage, 3dtestify, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 7 invisible), 1,204 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,137
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.