Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Interesting read. I wonder how sheep and cattle ranchers who own grazing property surrounding the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem feel about the myth of wolves?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Arthur Middleton is a postdoctoral fellow at the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies

Pretty much sums it up right there.

Education does not equal smart.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
"The strongest explanation for why the wolves have made less of a difference than we expected comes from a long-term, experimental study by a research group at Colorado State University. This study

I would think reducing an elk population from near 20,000 to near 4,000 would mean the wolves have made more of a difference than we expected or preferred.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
To some people, that's inconsequential. What use does a Yale man have for elk?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure if guys are reading what Middleton is writing, or if folks have read any of his other research. His point in this article, and why I was amazed that the NY Times published it, is to say that the wolf is not the American Hero that so many want to make the wolf out to be.

Read the comments provided at the link from all the urban keyboard biologists who are claiming Middleton is a quack. Obviously, the urban American self-appointed wolf experts are offended that Middleton is not "falling in line."

Middleton has done a lot of studies on the topic of wolves and elk, specific to the Greater Yellowstone area. I read a lot of what he has published and find him to be less concerned about what people think and more concerned about what his research is telling him.

Two guys worth reading, unless one does not want their opinions interrupted by fact, would be Middleton and Dr. Mech. Both have done the majority of their research on wolves.

Both have stated that public's confidence in science is being compromised by supposed "experts" attributing so many benefits to wolves, when the science does not support these lavish claims of wolves saving us from ourselves. When they make that case, they then get hammered by the "hired guns" on both sides.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks for posting this. Thanks to Big Finn for your comments too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10Glocks, 222Sako, 1minute, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,694
Posts18,494,150
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.