Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Don't know if this should be posted here or in the gunsmithing forum.

Does anyone know of a/any Midwest gunsmith(s) who work on old Colt double actions? I'm particularly thinking of Police Positives, Army Specials/Official Police and Officers' Models. I've seen a few otherwise nice specimens offered for sale at attractive prices with the warning that they were 'out of time' or didn't lock up correctly. I've avoided investing in these as 'project guns' because I have no idea if they can be fixed, or who can do the work.

Any thoughts?

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Cylinder and Slide always keeps on their staff some 'smiths highly experience with working on Colt double action revolvers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Colt timing is a highly mis-understood topic. The "test" that is common done is to thumb back the hammer and see if the cylinder drops into the stop. If it does, then the Colt has PERFECT timing. If it doesn't, that doesn't mean something's wrong; just not PERFECT. And that's where most gunsmith's get it wrong. They think not perfect is somehow broken. The design allows for wear, and even when not perfect, the gun will still be in time. When the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear, if the cylinder is not locked into the stop; then it is out of time.

So here's the test. Put your thumb against the cylinder to give the cylinder a little drag. Now cycle the DA action (not the SA action) all the way through. If the hammer drops and the cylinder is not locked into place, then the timing is way off.

But most gunsmiths will try to tell you that if the timing isn't perfect, then the gun shouldn't be fired (which would be a true statement on a S&W, but not on a Colt).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the bolt locks up after the trigger has been pulled and the hammer is falling, it will likely index just fine - save your money. If it doesn't lock-up after the trigger is pulled, it's out of time.

Most used Colts (and some new Colts) with any wear on them at all will fail the "lock-up at full hammer cock" test on every cylinder.

Since guys like Fred Sadowski, Walt Sherman, Reeves Jungkind & George Wessinger aren't around anymore, I wouldn't send any of my Colt's anywhere but the factory.

The last Colt factory re-time job I had done (2013) was $130 which included parts & labor.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 41magfan
The last Colt factory re-time job I had done (2013) was $130 which included parts & labor.
I wasn't aware they were still willing to work on old Colts.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 41magfan
If the bolt locks up after the trigger has been pulled and the hammer is falling, it will likely index just fine - save your money. If it doesn't lock-up after the trigger is pulled, it's out of time.

Most used Colts (and some new Colts) with any wear on them at all will fail the "lock-up at full hammer cock" test on every cylinder.

Since guys like Fred Sadowski, Walt Sherman, Reeves Jungkind & George Wessinger aren't around anymore, I wouldn't send any of my Colt's anywhere but the factory.

Well said sir...glad to see someone gets it.

If Colt's is still doing the work; that's a darned good price. I have to say, I'd probably charge closer to $150.00.

I have done Colt's DA revolver action jobs in the past couple of years, but none have required new hands. I really don't know where to get new hands these days; but I'm betting if I needed them, I could find them in a little while. The other option is to make them, which isn't too difficult, but it would double the price.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ahlman's in Morristown, MN.

www.ahlmans.com

Quality work done quickly and at a fair price. I have them tune and ream the forcing cones on all of my non-collectable revolvers. They do a better job, IMO, that the 'smiths at S&W in Springfield, MA. I've never had them work on a Colt, but have had many Rossis, Rugers, and S&Ws done. Ahlman's isn't known nationally, but is well respected by those of us who have worked with them.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
260 - good one.

People forget that there are a lot of local/regional gunsmiths who are really great. Not everyone WANT's to be a national name. With that comes a LOT of time away from the bench. In fact, the two most talented gunsmith's I've ever met were bench men who just want to do the work, and don't want the recognition.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (204guy, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,193 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,096
Posts18,502,011
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.