Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a couple of granddaughters who are planning to be married this summer. They have asked me to officiate the wedding vows and ceremony. There will be separate ceremonies. I've checked this out and know its legal for me to do this, but it's something I've ever done.

Just wondering if any of you guys have ever done this?

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I've officiated a few divorces, but that's about it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ordained out of carwash in Bakersfield? smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the state is more concerned with the paperwork being properly witnessed and filed than it is with who said the words.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
I think the state is more concerned with the paperwork being properly witnessed and filed than it is with who said the words.

Steve.

Got that right. License needs to be completed, witnessed and returned to county recorder of deeds, befor license expires.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was asked by two good friends 2.5 years ago. It was a blast and made for a great memory for both.
I sent a few drafts to them of what would be said and got approval of all as it is their day. All the pressure of 100 or so folks watching you definitely made me slip once and call Kevin and Shelly Shevin and Kelly. All laughed and it was great, but fairly nerve racking for a few minutes.
Do it, they will love it, you will remember it and it will be that much more special.
PM if you want more info.

Keep Smiling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have.. it lasted 16 years ...u only get one shot in these parts...I introduced them to ....oh well I did my part

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, part of what I get to do (Lutheran pastor). Every state has different laws about who can legally officiate/solemnize/preside at a wedding - actually who legally signs the paperwork anyway. Make sure you do it legally, other than that - have fun!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was the best man in a wedding where the groom's sister was ordained (certified) online. It was kind of a neat ceremony, having grandpa do it would be kind of neat as well. go for it

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Never, and though I have no daughters, I did once gave away the bride.

Last edited by websterparish47; 03/12/14.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alaska is pretty lenient in that respect and I have done two a your camp. The first was an MD friend from Anchorage and they are still married.
The second was my daughter two years ago and they are also still married.

That was the hardest as I tried to give them the best advice I had gained in 33 years of marriage. Basically I told them that while their similarities gave them happiness, it was their differences that give a marriage strength.
That and a simple admonition to "be kind to each other"

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have. I had a web site with all types of vows. I'll see if I can find it this week end. (Next tues-sat)

Never appeal to a mans "better side", he may not have one.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Never, and though I have no daughters, I did once gave away the bride.

I wish to hell I could have given away the first bride I was married to....hind sight is 20/20.... whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My deer/turkey hunting partner, SuperCore, had a problem when he went to get hitched to #5. His family was bible-thumping Baptist. The bride's was Catholic. As a result, they decided to ask me to do the ceremony. Yes, that's right: a shamanic wedding.

I'm a Methodist at heart, so that's where I started-- a nice Methodist service-- short and sweet. My son, Angus showed up in full Scottish drag and played bagpipes. It was deer season in Kentucky, so I wore an orange vest and hat to make it all legal. I had deer antlers, a turtle-shell rattle and turkey wing.

The best man was our buddy who's a Vietnam Vet. He's missing an eye from combat. I had him playing bongos. The maid of honor was the bride's sister. She had no idea what was coming. SuperCore's young granddaughters were tasked with bringing in a large iron mushroom as part of the procession.

I greeted everyone and gave a brief explanation, then called for the virgins to bring in the mushroom. I explained that many years a go this mushroom had shown up on my doorstep (true story) and that I had no idea where it had come from. About the same time I had folks start to attribute shamanic powers to me, and over time I realized a connection between the two. That is when I stopped using the mushroom as a doorstop and started to deal with it and shamanism seriously. I went on to liken it one's calling in life-- to our relationship with our Maker, to love between a man and a woman, and so on.

Eventually I seque'd into the Methodist service, pronounced them man and wife and that was that. Both sides were stunned. I retired to the kitchen for a drink of water.

Supercore's sister, the wife of the Baptist minister, was the first to set into me, she came up and interrogated me at length. What was my background? Did I believe in Jesus Christ? Was I a satanist? Finally she asked, "Is it legal?"

"I suppose that depends on what we do with the virgins?" I replied. "What do you do with them in your ceremonies?" She made a stifled scream and departed.

The maid of honor was completely verklempt. She sent the best man on to do her dirty work. He was eager to help; he was trying to get into her pants. So he came up and tried to act all indignant. "That was the strangest thing I've ever seen."

"That's mighty tall talk from a one-eyed bongo player!" I said, pulling myself up to my full height. "Fill your hands, you sonofabitch. . . and let's party." I then handed him two cans of beer. I'm not sure he caught the allusion or not, but he laughed and went away.

So there you have it-- the shaman's first wedding. The couple remained hitched to this day.

Here's the rest of the story:

SuperCore's Wedding

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I did one back in AK. That marriage lasted maybe 2 years.

I had a Marine brother officiate ours 17 years ago (still going strong).

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have never officiated at a wedding but 4 different times I have been asked to give the bride away. On 2 of them I could understand it as their own fathers had passed on--but the other 2 were kinda awkward as their own fathers were there--they just preferred that I get the honor.

10 years on and I got a whole passel of young'uns that call me 'PaPa"--I kinda like that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by websterparish47
... I did once gave away the bride.

A true gentleman would have held his tongue. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"d think that would be reserved for the minister at least for us it would be.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
laugh Not how you mint. Her father refused to attend.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 28 invisible), 2,032 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,133
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.