Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by twofish
I think I understand that the only difference in a standard FL Die an a FL Bushing is in the neck itself. What I was trying to describe was what some call "partial full length resizing". I have always understood this to mean rather than setting a FL Die of either type to fully engage the shell holder and cam over it can be set up not to fully engage but left short so as to resize the majority of the length of the neck but only partially resize the remainder of the case. (Not fully setting the shoulder back or fully resizing the body as would be done with the die set to fully engage.)

Perhaps this is splitting hairs as I have never liked the concept anyway and felt that was really a compromise of all the tasks.

I was just curious as to your thoughts on using a FL Die in tis manner.

What you are describing is what I would call Partial Neck Sizing, but opinions differ on terminology

[Linked Image]

You can do this by putting a washer on top of the shell holder around the case head with a Lee Collet

[Linked Image]

If you do it with a FL die then you need to set it so that the die does not size the case body or it will balloon the shoulder forward and cause difficult chambering. Once you squeeze the case body then the only way to alleviate a crush fit is to set the die down far enough to push the shoulder back.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
GB1

twofish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, good info Woods and a good thought with the washers.

I am thinking though that if I go to the collet die I would continue to size the entire neck.

I am also thinking that what you posted early on is where I am leaning. That is where my head was to begin with.

From woods post:

"2. For me, a perfect set of dies is a Lee Collet, Redding Body Die and Competition Seater. This is as far as I want to go as I do not Benchrest and only load for hunting, but do like to have the finest hunting load I can make. I do send off to Lee for smaller mandrels to increase bullet grip to .002" or .003" in some of the more often loaded calibers."

twofish

*Master of random precision*
twofish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RDW
twofish, that is what I said regarding the carbide button, even though it does not require lube, the FL die sizes the neck down below what is needed and the button sizes it up. The collet die and bushing die eliminates one step.

No matter what method you use, it only takes a few minutes to confirm every big-game hunting round chambers.

This is a big part of the reason I have been thinking about going to the collet dies. Besides not overworking necks and no bushings to buy it seems to be the best way to size necks and keep thickness variations on the outside without neck turning.

I really like the idea of not having to pull a sizer back through to do this and I just don't want to start neck turning brass.

twofish

twofish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kraky111
Heres a "wish" for 2014...but being the manufacturers are so busy I know it will never happen.
Beer makers make "light" beer.

I want die makers not to make small base dies but shoot for a "light" die. One that minimally sizes brass and has a neck area that takes a neck wall of .013" down to .003" grip.
If they'd do this the expander ball would work so minimally you wouldn't wreck runnout when pulling the ball through the neck area. Make a slick surfaced ball and you probably wouldn't need lube...maybe some kind of "delrin" expander or something.
I'd buy dies like this and set them to touch the shoulders of my cases and smile like crazy every time I used them. My old standard dies would collect dust.

That would be great but I don't know if they would do this due to SAAMI worries.

It may be that one would have to provide a fired case to the die makers and have a custom die made for your chamber. That would not be cheap though I am sure.

twofish

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

IC B2

twofish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman

There ya go! grin

I did not see what they cost though...? But with 30, 40, or 50 reloads as they claim the cost may well be worth it if primer pockets don't give out.

twofish

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Owned several Redding Competition bushing die sets. Sold them after I tried Forster Ultra seaters. Several reasons to prefer Forster Benchrest or Ultra seaters.

As to sizers, use only Redding Type S FL. Why? Versatility. Can use one Redding die for several variant ctgs. I shoot a wildcat .338/300win mag. The Redding .300win Type S die has enough recess at the shoulder to accommodate fired .338/300 brass; just have to use a .360-ish neck bushing and you're set!

Have a .243win AI die that I reamed on lathe to open up the shoulder to .308win neck dimension when I needed a sizer for my .308win AI rem 700 tactical.

I use a .260rem to size 7mm-08 rounds,and a .30-06 Type S to size .338-06. Nice to have Reddings tapered size buttons for neck-up jobs.

Pretty easy to make bushings, if you have a lathe and a boring bar. 1/2" round stock is all it takes.

Lots of versatility in the Redding Type S FL dies. Can't see a reason for a neck die or a body die. If you have the S FL, you have all 3... Redding says just pull the decap stem and you have a body die.

I like Forster's die chamber seaters, because of their interchangeable parts and Forster's willingness, unlike Redding, to sell die chambers and seating stems so, for about $35, you can buy the parts needed to use your Ultra or Benchrest die for another cartridge; unlike Redding who will not sell die chambers. I really have come to prefer the Benchrest seater as they are simpler and deliver the same fine quality, minimal runout ammunition.

BTW, most runout is going to be a factor of alignment with your press, shellholder and the die. Locking-down the decap rod while pin is centered in primer flash hole will produce a consistency of alignment. Using undersized ball or the straight, no ball, deprime pin that comes with Redding Type S means you get no out of kilter "pull" from the neck sizing ball.

Need a correct sized ball to uniform necks that have been distorted/bent etc, but that is pretty unlikely for single-loaded bench-fired rounds in a range environment.

Last edited by hogan; 03/26/14.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
One more matter of heresy to discuss: Do you "need" a cartridge specific seating die at all?

I am using a Forster 6.5/284 die body to load my .260rem rounds.

I size them on the Type S and use the bushing for neck tension desired. The body of the die chamber is larger by about .027", but the neck diameter is the same. I have not seen any difference in finished rounds effectiveness/accuracy, and get no case distortion.

Hornady used to catalog bore diameter/caliber specific seaters. Basically, as long as the cartridge isn't too fat in the body to enter the die, they work fine and produce no run-out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hogan

Hornady used to catalog bore diameter/caliber specific seaters. Basically, as long as the cartridge isn't too fat in the body to enter the die, they work fine and produce no run-out.

+1. The internals are interchangeable for different lengths. I have 4 with different internals which I swap for cartridges for which I don't have the Forster seaters.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by hogan

I haven't found them to do as good a job as the Redding and Forster competition type seaters. I've tried 223, 243, and 308 sizes. In the 308 size, the Hornady didn't prove to be consistently better than a regular RCBS die for 300 Savage cartridges.

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,832
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.