Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm booked to hunt buff and plains game (in that order) with John Sharpe in Zimbabwe next August, a 10-day hunt. This will be the fulfillment of a lifelong dream, something I haven't been able to knock out of my head since I read The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber back in undergrad.

At DSC this past January the videography company John's associated with gave me a quote for recording all 10 days of my hunt. It will come in at a price which equates to a roughly 20% increase in the cost of my hunt, which is no small potatoes. But the cost isn't the real issue. What I'm wondering about is whether this is a service/product I'm even remotely interested in.

I've never been much of a photography-leaning guy when I'm in the outdoors, whether hunting, fishing, camping, or climbing... I like pic's of people I've shared the experience with, but when I hunt and fish, I experience it vibrantly in the moment and I've never felt any camera or recording device could possibly capture that "in-the-moment" experience. No photo I've ever seen could capture the true visual experience of the moment, and although I've never video'd a hunt, the narrow field of view of the camera lens is still narrow whether the images are moving or still.

Also, I want to get close to my buff before taking my shot... something Sharpe is very good at, and I'm concerned that adding one more person to the stalk increases the chances of losing an opportunity of a once-in-a-lifetime close-in shot.

On the other hand, I can't help but wonder how sweet it might be to have a videographic record of the hunt. Would I watch the video over and over again in years yet to come? Could it be that watching and hearing the hunt from a 3rd-person perspective, hearing the sounds of the bush, the buff, my PH's instructions, etc, would capture something rare that I've never appreciated, is something I'd really treasure in future days?

I dunno. I simply don't know whether it's going to be worthwhile or not.

So I'm wondering what other guys here on the 'Fire who've had their hunts videographed think. Please share your views. Those who haven't done it are welcome to chime in, but truthfully I really just need to hear from guys who've had videography done.

Thanks in advance.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My father and I hunted Zim in '94 on a 2on2 hunt and had it professionally taped.
I can't begin to describe how much that little 2 hour disc means to me now that he's gone.

How many times will you be able to repeat your first trip to Africa?

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a few short amateur video clips taken of me when I was unaware of being filmed and they mean the world to me. I have asked my wife to do more of them on our next trip. I also watching others hunting videos.

If I can ever afford to do something like a buffalo hunt I would do the video if I can afford to.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It is worth it...completely. I would put it ahead of taxidermy even.

Hunting For Adventure
Tom Addleman (816) 213-6646
[email protected]
To book your next great hunting adventure - www.huntingforadventure.com
W
W
To me the filming actually interferes with the hunt. I can relate to having a film to remember special hunts by but I will not film another hunt.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
How does the cost compare to taking along an observer (family or friend) to take footage for you and enjoy in the experience?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by williford
To me the filming actually interferes with the hunt. I can relate to having a film to remember special hunts by but I will not film another hunt.

+1 Had a videographer in camp in Tanzania. He wanted film my cape buffalo hunts. I told him no. Cost was not an issue. There's enough to focus attention on without a camera in the way. I felt it would interfere with my experience of the hunt. I don't regret it at all. My recollections of the hunts are still vivid and my stories get better every time I tell them. LOL

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone else has to video, you can't hunt and video at the same time.

Videoing for broadcast is a major pain, because so much of it has to staged to fill in the story, to make drama, and to get good footage. Also, you must wait for the video guy to let you know he has the footage before you can pull the trigger, or it's all for naught.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had my last hunt professionally video'd and it was pretty impressive.

Unfortunately, it ain't cheap. I think it was about $ 250/day but the video and production quality is great.

Not sure I would do it again, just because I'd rather spend that money on shooting stuff but it is a pretty incredible way to relive the hunt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Doc: The then Apprentice PH for John Sharp had a video camera with him when I was there and he filmed my buffalo kill. I can't tell you how many times through the years I've watched it. Kerry and Rayno will do one hell of a great job for you, they get right in there with you. My friend Ben has had both his last two hunts filmed by them including a lion kill. If money is not the issue, put me in the "yes" column.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes

Unfortunately, it ain't cheap. I think it was about $ 250/day but the video and production quality is great.

Not sure I would do it again, just because I'd rather spend that money on shooting stuff but it is a pretty incredible way to relive the hunt.

From a hunter's perspective, do you feel that the Videography could take the place of taxidermy? As, in the case that a hunter just does not have the space available in his house?
It's cheaper than taxidermy.
What's your point of view on this?

Just to add, I've had a couple of my hunter's hunts filmed, and think they're great. As long as you use the correct company. Would just like an external opinion.

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 03/19/14.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Do it yourself...GoPro

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Do it yourself...GoPro

I just wish the Gopro would come out with a decent lens that will accommodate hunting. A hunter of mine had one on last year, and the quality is great. We saw a Bushbuck ram, and waited for him, in order to see which direction he was working towards. He eventually went the same way he came, and I decided that we might as well see if we could stalk onto him. Step for step we went closer, and as I got around the next bush, he was eating 5 yds away with his back towards us. He turned, and the hunter took him freehand. At that range you can't move to open sticks and what not.
I was excited to see what the video would show, and although the quality is superb, it looked like the ram was about 15yds away instead of the actual 5.
Maybe if they could bring it out with a zoom function....

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 03/19/14.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris

From a hunter's perspective, do you feel that the Videography could take the place of taxidermy? As, in the case that a hunter just does not have the space available in his house?

I think it is a stellar option for all the reasons you have above.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
As a retired photojournalist I always took my Leica M2 cameras to Africa - they were as essential as my rifle. What I learned was that the still photos, when shown to family and friends, brought me back to the exact second when the shutter clicked - even the smells were still right there!

I taught one of our trackers how to use the little camera and he did yeoman service. The difference between video and projected still images is that YOU are telling the story - LIVE - and your kids, grand-kids, and great grand-kids as well as your friends will enjoy the live stories more than the same old video seen over and over.

Just my spin on what works for me.

Terry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes

Just to add, I've had a couple of my hunter's hunts filmed, and think they're great. As long as you use the correct company. Would just like an external opinion.

I think it could definitely be used in place of taxidermy if the hunter chose it.

The hunt I had filmed was an elephant/buffalo hunt and no way I would give up the tusks in lieu of the video. That's probably a piss-poor example though.

I have started doing mostly skull mounts on everything due to the last of room for shoulder mounts but not sure I would ever get away from bringing some part of the trophies back.

A good, thought provoking question for sure.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We have video'd and still photo'd a LOT of our hunts. Find that we rarely watch the video stuff at all.

But look back at the photos quite regularly.

I'd go still before video personally.

But its a personal thing. And even then, not so much the killing part, but all the other stuff.... I come back from Alaska with different pics to cherish each fall. If Carolyn is along she takes things she likes, if i"m by myself the pictures tend to be different too, as my photo eye is different than hers.

But as noted, I think I might rather have a few books of photos than a bunch of mounts. But I can't say that I wouldn't take both. I would certainly prefer some hides and euros at a minimum.

I think we've said same seems to hold true about weddings and such... Carolyn will photo our friends, and sometimes gets better shots than the pro... and I've been asked to video. I have never seen my video after the fact and have asked folks... and they've watched it maybe 1-2 times. Pictures however are always around.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes I agree. The video is not worth the same, and I dont think is worthwhile.
I still have never watched my wedding video and that was 16 years ago.

Still pictures yes, quite different.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I could not imagine having whatever is required to have a hunt filmed tagging along. Not the experience I want. PH, trackers, wife, son, OK but that's it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
I could not imagine having whatever is required to have a hunt filmed tagging along. Not the experience I want. PH, trackers, wife, son, OK but that's it.

buy a GoPro and a bunch of batteries and cards and strap that phugger to your hat laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,627 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.