Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
That's outstanding, sounds positive all around. That says to me that the scenarios aren't as nefarious as you alluded to.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by watch4bear
The old feller driving the truck made a very, very bad decision doing what he did.

Yep, grabbing his cane so he could stand up, did him in. All old men should die that way.
I watched the video a number of times.How could anyone confuse an old man with a cane with danger.How can anyone be that stupid much less a LEO.At no point in the video did I see anything but an old man with a cane.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by NH K9
That's outstanding, sounds positive all around. That says to me that the scenarios aren't as nefarious as you alluded to.
I didn't say they were nefarious. The people who are shot were pulling a weapon in an effort to shoot the cop. The problem is that this type of training programs the mind to think of everyone as a potential shooter, despite normal stereotypes, and to instinctively draw and shoot at the first sign of trouble, i.e., without hesitation, without going through natural filters like "That's an old man ... it's not likely he's a threat, so let me reevaluate this situation and make sure I have it right."

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I would want to see the scenarios myself prior to taking that leap. I know what I observed, but I also know the designers. The fact is, the bulk of the "actors " were active/ex-leos.

Hell, the next day I spent 8+ hours shooting the schit out of "active shooters" who were also cops. Ive apparently been programmed to shoot cops........

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Actually this piglet was one of the better marksman I've seen, he got off six shots and actually scored a hit, usually it's at least a 12 to 1 ratio. Thank God most of the [bleep] can't shoot.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
This is a hard one.

On one hand I can hear the officer weeping, and telling the others what happened or he thought happened. And I believe the officer was sincere. I don't for one second think he just wanted to shoot an old man, or was on a power trip.
No, but he was cowardly. That's the training now, to be scared shi tless of regular folks. They train on courses where ordinary people (toddling old men, mothers with young children, etc.) suddenly pull a gun and shoot, whereas they used to train to shoot classic "bad guy" images pointing a gun at them.

Yeah, dumbphuck, because everyone who pulls a gun has a certain "look", right? Thinking only gang bangers, bikers, and scumbags in general are the only ones packing guns is a good way to get yourself killed. But you'd never know that because you couldn't do the job and can only guess. Let's hear the excuses again as to why, it's always good for a laugh.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3608773

Wish I could find the dash cam online.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NH K9
I didn't say they were nefarious. The people who are shot were pulling a weapon in an effort to shoot the cop. The problem is that this type of training programs the mind to think of everyone as a potential shooter, despite normal stereotypes, and to instinctively draw and shoot at the first sign of trouble, i.e., without hesitation, without going through natural filters like "That's and old man ... it's not likely he's a threat, so let me reevaluate this situation and make sure I have it right."

Everyone IS a potential shooter. I challenge you to describe for all LEOs what EXACTLY every shooter looks like.

For what it's worth, I've never seen the targets posted earlier. I have seen the simulators. We used to have a FATS machine. It's not training you to look at everyone as a threat. It's training you to not assume a small pregnant female wouldn't be.

In other words, it's training you to identify the threat. That's the gun if you haven't guessed yet. Not the person.

We don't JUST do shoot or don't shoot scenarios. There is much more training in negotiations, mental health issues, etc. We get more training in non lethal situations than lethal.

Back to the video. It's sad. Period. But the cop obviously believed he was coming under attack. It really is that simple. Tragic results, but it's not a perdect world. If it were, cops wouldn't be necessary.

I don't believe I will convince you or anyone else. Guess I've said my piece.

Last edited by pira114; 03/13/14.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm curious, why did the old man get out of the truck in the first place? I was always told to stay in the vehicle unless instructed otherwise. I guess so as not to get hit by oncoming traffic just as one example, and officer safety for another.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
But the cop obviously believed he was coming under attack.

Do bullet proof vests protect against cane attacks? Should civilians be wearing bullet proof vests as well?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was always told to stay in the vehicle unless instructed otherwise. I guess so as not to get hit by oncoming traffic just as one example, and officer safety for another.

Whatever the reason, do it, or get shot.

MOLON LABE

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
the only prerequisite for a cop to shoot people now days is his balls shriveling up, sad. Please explain to me why he did what he HAD to do, instead of taking cover if he thought it was necessary, and assessing the situation. He should be charged with attempted murder, period.

Last edited by guy57; 03/13/14.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
But the cop obviously believed he was coming under attack.

Do bullet proof vests protect against cane attacks? Should civilians be wearing bullet proof vests as well?

Bulletproof? Where do I sign up?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just do as directed. No sudden moves, and you'll be fine. If your old and deaf, not our problem.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a hard one.

On one hand I can hear the officer weeping, and telling the others what happened or he thought happened. And I believe the officer was sincere. I don't for one second think he just wanted to shoot an old man, or was on a power trip.
No, but he was cowardly. That's the training now, to be scared shi tless of regular folks. They train on courses where ordinary people (toddling old men, mothers with young children, etc.) suddenly pull a gun and shoot, whereas they used to train to shoot classic "bad guy" images pointing a gun at them.

Was that your academy training?

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
If LEO's would take a stand against that kind of behavior among their own things would change rather than getting worse by the day... All I ever see is excuses and wagon circling tho..

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I was always told to stay in the vehicle unless instructed otherwise. I guess so as not to get hit by oncoming traffic just as one example, and officer safety for another.

Whatever the reason, do it, or get shot.

Yep, stay in the car with your hands on the steering wheel at 10 o' clock and 2 o' clock...or be prepared for the consequences. It is a dangerous country anymore.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm curious, why did the old man get out of the truck in the first place? I was always told to stay in the vehicle unless instructed otherwise. I guess so as not to get hit by oncoming traffic just as one example, and officer safety for another.

Maybe we are different ages (I am 54)or just from different geographical regions but Iremember growing up and being told to get out of the vehicle.

Regardless, the old man was in the lights of the officer,there was nothing pointed at the officer and he did not identify that either it was in fact a gun " Really how many carry a uncased shotgun in the back of their truck going down the interstate? and it even appears as though the tailgate is open or missing !" or if he was really in a life threatening situation.
If the officer is so damn jittery and fearfull he shouldn,t have become an officer in the first place.

Damn I remember "Serve and Protect "
NOT "Harras and Intimidate " And then shoot.
NO he didn,t "do what he had to do "
He did what he did and should now be fired and have a lawsuit put against him.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The driver of the truck should have never gotten out of the truck and reached into the bed of the truck at night. It sucks but damn, thats just ignorant

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The driver of the truck should have never gotten out of the truck and reached into the bed of the truck at night.

He wasn't a very good sheep was he. If he had been your dad or grand dad, would you write "he was ignorant" on his grave stone; or just send the cop a thank you letter?

MOLON LABE

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I won't blame a cop for getting a split second decision wrong. It's a credit to the profession they don't get those decisions wrong more often. God knows they have to make enough of them.

I blame a system that decided at leisure that it was reasonable to enforce what amounts to a penny ante tax stamp at gunpoint, on the side of the road, at night.

Is there one good reason this couldn't have been dealt with via citation through the mail a week later?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 21, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 36 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,508
Posts18,490,691
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.