Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Arns9 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The difference in trajectory is apparent, but what differences have you noticed in on-game performance? Do spitzers expand more violently? Do RN expand wider?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
rn bullets hammer game at close range as nearly as I can tell in my experience.

The way life should be.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There is very little in on game performance between the two shapes. Spritzer may give marginally better trajectory after mabe a couple of hundred yards. The brush buster theory for RN so total myth. Shoot whatever you like and be done with it. Although in a couple of my rifles RN give better groups.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Brian Pearce did an article in either Handloader or Rifle a few years back comparing trajectory of the two in a 30-30 at 200+ yards. I remember being quite surprised at how little the difference was and imagine that difference would only get smaller with a faster starting speed. FWIW...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
RN are more accurate in my 30/30 than flat nose or FTX bullets.They also seem to get higher velocity.Any deer I have shot with any kind of bullet in my 30-30 is usually DRT at reasonable ranges.

Last edited by Huntz; 03/14/14.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
A round nose bullet is consistently reliable in fast expansion. Velocity is sometimes higher because the bearing surface can often be shorter than the equivalent weight spitzer.

An experienced hunter can call the bullet shape simply by the tone of the hit and the reaction when hit.
I have had many Aussie farmers call the shot when culling. They are hard to fool.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
A round nose bullet is consistently reliable in fast expansion. Velocity is sometimes higher because the bearing surface can often be shorter than the equivalent weight spitzer.

An experienced hunter can call the bullet shape simply by the tone of the hit and the reaction when hit.
I have had many Aussie farmers call the shot when culling. They are hard to fool.

Yes. There is a marked difference on game with RN and spitzer in my experience. A RN will open fast and if it is a heavy bullet, will still penetrate. The damage can be suprising. They also seem to go in more of a straight line than spitzers, which can sometime end up in odd places. They are consistant in performance too.
They are also easier to find an accurate load for. Which is another way of saying they are quite accurate.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Round nose seem more consistent. Especially with older bullet designs the usually greater amount of exposed lead insured more reliable expansion especially at lower velocities.

Can't prove it but also seem to have better straight line penetration and less tendency to tumble. This could go along with using usually medium to heavy for caliber bullets with a higher sectional density when using round nose bullets.

Combine this with the more limited velocity and range and it adds up to predictable performance. That's why the 30-30 just keeps on doing its job.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
People who "know", often used the 117gn RN in the .257 Roberts and I don't mean because of twist.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Arns9
The difference in trajectory is apparent, but what differences have you noticed in on-game performance? Do spitzers expand more violently? Do RN expand wider?

Not quite sure by what you mean by difference in trajectory as there is minimal difference if the same bullet weight is compared in each. At long distance the spitzer, specifically BT's will have a better BC ,but you really have to get out there aways to see it.

In my .06 I load 220 gr RN and 180 gr Game Kings. My load is such that with the same scope setting I have the 180's 2" high at 100 yards which is dead on at 200 yards and the 220's are dead on at 100 yards. If I hunt heavy timber where shots are 50-75 yards, I use the 220's and if I am sitting where shots may come at 300 yards or so I load the 180's. My thinking is at the closer shots, the GK tend to separate the core some what where as the 220's hold together better. Probably more of a factor that the heavies are going slower,rather than the bullet.

However, I have killed a lot of elk up close when I had the 180's loaded and have killed elk at further distances when I had the 220's loaded. With either I have not seen any difference in killing ability, but I am strickly a double lung shooter.

Proving once again, it is mostly where you hit them rather than with what.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/15/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well one is an abbreviation for a Registered Nurse.. and the other is a bullet profile...

two totally opposite things that have nothing in common...

whistle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Arns9

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

[Linked Image]

Spitzer: claims were made that he did not penetrate but it can be proved that he sexted.

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,466
Posts18,529,218
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.