Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#8684651 03/16/14
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I keep hearing about terrible things are..

I had to have an electrician come to the house to wire in a new outlet for my new stove. $80 hr.

Had to have a plumber come not long ago. $80hr.

Get my boat engine a tune up. $90 hr.

Have a welder weld anything out of aluminum. $80 hr.

Seems like the trades are the place to be?

GB1

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
$1200 to have a water heater installed. Although, I would up doing it myself with a contractor buddy at $40 an hour.

But yup I agree.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My company required me to charge $95 per hour plus one way mileage, but I sure didn't get anywhere near that much.
Truck and fuel costs, all the support people, and a bunch of other stuff had to be paid out of that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well let's see, of the $80 an hour the person preforming the work got paid 10 an hour, the government got between 8 and 10 an hour in payroll taxes, The rest went into overhead and a little profit for the owner.

Not a whole lot of money there when you break it down.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a tradesman and can tell you that the actual workers only get paid a small piece of that pie. For instance, the company I work for charges $96/ hour for a service visit, but the employee might only get about $20/ hour plus very basic medical insurance. No optical or dental and no retirement or HSA, either.

Trades aren't a bad place to be for sure, but a guy isn't going to get rich doing it.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Tracks
My company required me to charge $95 per hour plus one way mileage, but I sure didn't get anywhere near that much.
Truck and fuel costs, all the support people, and a bunch of other stuff had to be paid out of that.

You forgot lawyers. smile

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hell, a lawyer will cost you $250/alleged hour.

The plumber is a bargain.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
$80 an hour for a 8 hour work day.

$640 a day. Not a bad wage, if you ask me. Sure you have to pay taxes, but who doesn't? (ok, don't answer that)

Curious how much a .gov worker makes a day?

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I'm a tradesman and can tell you that the actual workers only get paid a small piece of that pie. For instance, the company I work for charges $96/ hour for a service visit, but the employee might only get about $20/ hour plus very basic medical insurance. No optical or dental and no retirement or HSA, either.

Trades aren't a bad place to be for sure, but a guy isn't going to get rich doing it.

So, I'm curious what keeps a guy from branching out on his own, and charging a mere $60 an hour? You'd think people would be jumping at the chance to hire the guy?

Btw, all the guys I hired were independent. And when they ran for parts, which took a ridiculous amount of time, the clock was still ticking. I have a feeling I paid for a few coffee breaks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Nope and neither do the owners from my experience.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
I keep hearing about terrible things are..

I had to have an electrician come to the house to wire in a new outlet for my new stove. $80 hr.

Had to have a plumber come not long ago. $80hr.

Get my boat engine a tune up. $90 hr.

Have a welder weld anything out of aluminum. $80 hr.

Seems like the trades are the place to be?
Unfortunately thats the price of doing business to make a small profit...figure in labor,gas,vehicle maintance,insurance,workmans comp, advertising ect. and not much left

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Btw, all the guys I hired were independent. And when they ran for parts, which took a ridiculous amount of time, the clock was still ticking. I have a feeling I paid for a few coffee breaks.

You were free to choose another contractor...free market and such.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Scott nailed it here:

So your numbers, corrected, are:

$80 $20 an hour for a 8 hour work day.

$640 $160 a day. Not a bad fantastic wage, if you ask me. Sure you have to pay taxes, but who doesn't? (ok, don't answer that)

Anybody who runs a business will tell you that there is a HUGE difference between what's charged & what's made as profit.

HUGE.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Believe me, I'm not complaining. I knew exactly what was going to happen, before it happened.

BTW, in a remote town of 1200, on an island, in Alaska, you often can't choose another contractor. And they know it....(grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amen to that!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Believe me, I'm not complaining. I knew exactly what was going to happen, before it happened.

BTW, in a remote town of 1200, on an island, in Alaska, you often can't choose another contractor. And they know it....(grin)

Sounds like a business opportunity for you. grin

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Hell, a lawyer will cost you $250/alleged hour.

The plumber is a bargain.

I'm talking averaging their corporate cost in.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Then learn how to do things yourself

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
It's funny how everybody rails on the .gov workers for how much they make, but if you point out that a plumber charges $80 an hour to unclog a toilet for an old lady, then it's game on. (grin)

I do most stuff myself. Stuff I needs to be up to code for home resale I'd rather just pay somebody to do. And no, I'm not complaining, just making an observation.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by efw
Scott nailed it here:

So your numbers, corrected, are:

$80 $20 an hour for a 8 hour work day.

$640 $160 a day. Not a bad fantastic wage, if you ask me. Sure you have to pay taxes, but who doesn't? (ok, don't answer that)

Anybody who runs a business will tell you that there is a HUGE difference between what's charged & what's made as profit.

HUGE.

So you're telling me that a guy with a van and 10k in tools couldn't make a good wage charging $80 an hour?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 51 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,899
Posts18,518,456
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.