Print Thread
Hop To
P
pigster Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I have posted this in the Hunting Rifles forum some time ago but it didn't get much traffic there.
I do most of my hunting in Europe in January and February. Due to my work schedule in the States this is the only time I can get away. I have my Sako A7 SST, cal. 30-06 in mind. I have all the permits to own and use hunting rifles there. What kind of procedure would I have to follow in order to take this rifle with me and keep it there permanently? There has to be a way of doing it in the age of globalization and work force mobility.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I can`t answer your question,but was thinking you could probably buy one where ever you stay at???

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Which country? Europes got a bunch of them. It was fairly simple in Germany but did require getting the rifle proof tested in country.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
P
pigster Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
It's Hungary. Things fairly easy there. You apply for a one time import permit for the rifle with all of its specs. You also has to prove the origin and legal ownership of the rifle. It takes about two weeks to get the permit-it's good for three months. With the above documents in hand you can clear Hungarian customs without problems. Then you have 10 days to get it proofed which is super easy. With all of the documents back to the police and they register it on your name on the same day. My problem is getting it through US customs. The information bits I have so far ranges from a simple form for personal items to obtaining an arms exporter license?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why wouldn't you just check it in as luggage on your flight?
If you owned it going over you still own it coming back

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B2

P
pigster Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
You can't just hop on an international flight and not declare your firearm. US citizens going on a hunting trip must fill out a temporary export form (don't know the exact name of it). You have to return within 6 months with your firearm.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really can't answer this since I have not traveled with a firearm internationally since 2004 so many things may have changed. But when I did travel the only requirement was to check the weapon in when you embarked and have a 4457 customs form when you returned. I have never filled out any 'temporary export form' or have to return within 6 months that I was aware of. There are strict requirements for container and locking but no real permits. The 4457 merely says you owned the rifle when you took it out of the US. As I say have not been since 2004 so things MAY have changed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"You can't just hop on an international flight and not declare your firearm." As far as the US Customs is concerned, yes you can. The necessity to "declare" a firearm at the baggage counter is an FAR (Federal Aviation Requirement) for US air carriers. All foreign carriers that I am aware of have a similar requirement but have the additional requirement to notify them in advance before your date of travel. Customs in the countries that you are traveling to also have varying import requirements. The only US government form is the Customs 4457 which proves that you owned the firearm when you left the US so you are not charged duty or need an import permit from BATF to bring your gun back to the US. Incidentally, the 4457 is not firearm specific. You should have one for your high value items such as cameras, spotting scope, rifle scope, etc. so the Customs Agent cannot charge you import duty upon your return.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The customs form 4457 must be verified/stamped at a customs office. Usually you can find the closest customs office easily in the blue pages of the phone book or an online search. You can fill out and print the form at home and then take the forms and firearm(s) to the customs office. There they will verify the make, model and serial number and any other descriptive data and stamp the form. It is pretty painless and only took me a few minutes. I recommend that you use this form for all of the gear you might take abroad that you could get questioned about upon re-entry to the US such as your optics, knives, watches or other costly items. Do a separate form for each item. By the way these come in very handy to prove ownership for insurance claims.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
P
pigster Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thanks for all of the replies. Searching US Customs I have come across the following link:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/388/kw/trade
Tried to call the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls at the Dep. of State, all I've got is a massage recorder. I am going to have to find a live person to talk to...

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

283 members (160user, 300_savage, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 25 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,456
Posts18,508,038
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.