Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
What, you don't have these skills yet? I thought Alaskans knew everything! smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by djs
What, you don't have these skills yet? I thought Alaskans knew everything! smile

I'm a government worker. Whats a skill set?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

MOLON LABE

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
I keep hearing about terrible things are..

I had to have an electrician come to the house to wire in a new outlet for my new stove. $80 hr.

Had to have a plumber come not long ago. $80hr.

Get my boat engine a tune up. $90 hr.

Have a welder weld anything out of aluminum. $80 hr.

Seems like the trades are the place to be?

You think that is bad, last July I walked into an emergency room at a local hospital about 5:30 PM Friday afternoon for a blood clot in my leg. I got several test, MRI, etc. spent the night for observation, walked out around 2:30 PM Sat. afternoon with a couple prescriptions for meds.

Bill to the insurance company was over $20,000. So close to $1000 per hour average

Yeah, don't even get me started about that scam. If I had my way, every price would be listed on a menu, like when you went into MCD's. Then, you could make choices based on what you can afford. Not wait for the bill to show up. For what they charge to be in the hospital, I'd rather go sit in the outside in the parking lot, and have my wife wheel me in if something started to go wrong again.

The amount of cluelessness about medical charges is laughable. Coupled with the fact that you are talking about your health. If you want to let things ride, be my guest but then when you are screwed and die, tell your family in no uncertain terms that they are not to file any sort of malpractice claims. And your beef is with the hospital, not the doctors. You would be shocked to know how little of that charge makes it to the doctor who actually saves your ass. Kind of like how little goes to the plumber who actually fixes your sink.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hell, a lawyer will cost you $250/alleged hour.

The plumber is a bargain.

And there both full of [bleep]. Lol

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The work doesn't start when the guy gets to your house ,first someone has to take your call , before that they had to advertise so you'd know who to call , then they drove out in a work vehicle that the insurance costs far more on than the same vehicle used for personal use.
The company will NOT fill each hour of an 8 hour day with an $80 charge .
If times are slow and competition is high and the trade guy has little or no work he will NOT get a check --a govt worker gets a check every week and health care and a retirement paid for by the people who come and work on your house. The guy who shows up will probably work until the day he dies paying taxes in so govt workers can retire with healthcare at age 40-50.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The work doesn't start when the guy gets to your house ,first someone has to take your call , before that they had to advertise so you'd know who to call , then they drove out in a work vehicle that the insurance costs far more on than the same vehicle used for personal use.

Don't forget a drive to their house to give a bid, Set up, and tear down after the job is completed.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
I keep hearing about terrible things are..

I had to have an electrician come to the house to wire in a new outlet for my new stove. $80 hr.

Had to have a plumber come not long ago. $80hr.

Get my boat engine a tune up. $90 hr.

Have a welder weld anything out of aluminum. $80 hr.

Seems like the trades are the place to be?

You think that is bad, last July I walked into an emergency room at a local hospital about 5:30 PM Friday afternoon for a blood clot in my leg. I got several test, MRI, etc. spent the night for observation, walked out around 2:30 PM Sat. afternoon with a couple prescriptions for meds.

Bill to the insurance company was over $20,000. So close to $1000 per hour average

Yeah, don't even get me started about that scam. If I had my way, every price would be listed on a menu, like when you went into MCD's. Then, you could make choices based on what you can afford. Not wait for the bill to show up. For what they charge to be in the hospital, I'd rather go sit in the outside in the parking lot, and have my wife wheel me in if something started to go wrong again.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose. As has been stated here on many threads, health care is not a single product you can buy. There is no such thing as a set price for a procedure. Everybody will require a certain set of things be done based on their needs. There is no way anyone could possibly know what those needs are until treatment starts. Personally, I think some should get the health care they demand. We wouldn't have to listen to their bitching for long.
It's funny to see people try to justify all the reasons a plumber should charge $80/hr or more, but yet can't get the concept of costs to run a hospital. All the many people required to be there and many millions of dollars worth of equipment and yet they only want to be charged for the one person who sees them.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i work in the oilfield but do flooring on my days off, i made $1900 weekend before last laying carpet and laminate.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is no way anyone could possibly know what those needs are until treatment starts.

How am I going to know how to stock my doctorin van? grin

MOLON LABE

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stock it with everything. Probably need two vans.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Dood; I am trying to keep medical treatments affordable grin

I figure a hack saw for surgery's

Duct tape for bandage

and some tequilla for sterilizer and anesthetic.

Maybe a flashlight or two for close up work.

MOLON LABE

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
How about paying for all of the extortion money to all of the insurances required to be in business.

I had a Construction Inspection company.

1 Mil. general liability ; 2 Mil. Errors and Omissions ; 1,000,000 for each vehicle that I drove onto the sites.
And that was before I left the house.

Then at the first of 2013 a client required me to bump up my insurance another 6 Mil.

The insurance company's need to be rained in as well as all of the Government Regulations.

Needles to say I do not have much of a business left

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Dood; I am trying to keep medical treatments affordable grin

I figure a hack saw for surgery's

Duct tape for bandage

and some tequilla for sterilizer and anesthetic.

Maybe a flashlight or two for close up work.

In that case duct tape and campho-phenique will take care of 99% of all problems. Time will take care of the other 1%.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's one of the reasons jobs are leaving America.

I just installed my own water heater cost zero.
I wasn't going to hire an obama wank sucker.

NRA Lifetime Member
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Originally Posted by djs

I'm a government worker. Whats a skill set?

Sears is having a sell on skill saw sets now.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most employees have no idea what they cost their employer.

For an employee with benefits:

Wage: $10
Fica (employer portion) $0.75
Work comp $ 0.75
Medical ins. $ 7.00
Retirement (empl. share). $1.00
Vacation pay $1.00
Sick pay $0.50

Total DIRECT hourly costs $22. If they drive a truck, add vehicle expenses, plus commercial insurance rates.

Employing people is not for the timid...

Last edited by Dutch; 03/16/14.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So you branch out on your own. You have to do (think pay someone) to do all the required paperwork for a business by the federal government and the state. Then you have to have insurances for various forms of liability (since some of your customers are going to sue you, EVEN if you do good work all the time). If you hire other employees you have to have insurance for them, in case they get hurt on the job, and then any benefits you might pay. Health insurance for yourself (you could go without I suppose). Someone has to take all the calls (unless you have no business) and you have to have all the tools of the trade, transport, pay for gas.

And if someone doesn't like your work and sues you, guess what that costs. Or they just don't pay and you have to sue.

I think you will find that those rates are fairly good in the world we live in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are jobs around the house or on my vehicles that I could do but it makes more sense to hire them out even at $80 or whatever an hour.
By the time I go to town & get the parts & pieces & don't have the proper tools & try to make do with the tools I have & break something or forget something & have to go back to town to get the part I forgot.....

.....and then count MY time in the job.

I could easily have hours invested in a job that a professional could do in a hour or less , meanwhile I could have been doing something during those hours to make more money than the service cost.

Mike

Last edited by 6mm250; 03/16/14.

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In most cases; if you get an hourly rate for services, you'll save money over a bid.

MOLON LABE

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (219 Wasp, 10ring1, 204guy, 22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,853
Posts18,517,617
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.