Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Buying a new cannon 60D camera. Need a great all around lens for shooting up close and a little distance. Not looking for a ton of weight, but looking for something that takes sharp, clear photos.

Last edited by Sakohunter264; 03/16/14.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There is no 1 lens that does this. Sharp photos are lens and technique as well as some other factors. Not just lens.
If you are dropping $800-$1K on a a camera don't get a cheap lens. Kinda like a custom rifle and a tasco scope. And very seldom does up close and distance = 1 lens. Be logical and be prepared to have at least 2 lens'.

T
T
If a very serious Canon photographer is asked what 3-4 classic lenses he/she would buy if starting over again the answer would be THIS one in the wide-angle to moderate telephoto zoom lens:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_24_70mm_f_2_8l_ii_usm

It has a huge aperture (2.8) for outstanding low-light conditions, is sharp as a tack and renders incredible and consistently obtained images that one can make a serious living on. Like most of the top Canon lenses, it proudly wears the little red ring around the barrel denoting it is a Canon "L" series lens . . . the best they make. They hold their value extremely well and most photographers who don't have this lens yet desire to own one "someday" (and wish they'd bought one to begin with).

Truly a classic, outstanding lens.

They will next pick up this equally as incredible lens for covering the 70-200mm range. It has few equals at any price . . . truly a rare zoom to equal the very best "prime" lens at any of its focal lengths:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_70_200mm_f_2_8l_usm

I know quite a few experienced photographers who have those two . . . and most went through a lot of lesser lenses (to save money) before getting what they should have gotten in the first place!

The third classic Canon lens? This would depend on where your photographic interests evolved . . . whether super wide angle, precision macro or super telephoto! I won't go into those right now but wanted to mention the 70-200 2.8 "L" lens as a very worthy "next" lens.

When folks show up with these two in their bag I know right away that they are real serious photographers. From wedding pros to sports to nature, you name it . . . these two can produce images that truly "wow" people on a consistent basis!

Hope this helps!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Jason,

I have a Rebel T2i that I bought several years ago. It had kit lenses. While at the lease one of my lenses was damaged. After careful consideration and with a good deal of input both here and from my nephew who shoots professionally and uses Canon equipment, here is what I did.

As you know, I shoot for my own enjoyment and satisfaction. Consequently no income is derived from my photographic equipment. I chose not to afford "the best". Rather I bought "good" lenses. I also decided to go with Canon "L" lenses rather than 3rd party lenses. I could be mistaken, but should I choose to upgrade from my new lenses, I do believe the resale value of the Canon would be greater than 3rd party lenses.

Here are two that I've purchased in the last 4 months.

[Linked Image]

The smaller lens is the EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
It has become the lens that stays on my camera and is used typically multiple times daily.

The larger "white" lens is the EF 70-200mm F.4L IS USM lens.

I am absolutely pleased with both lenses.

Two things that I also have incorporated.
I downloaded and am using the Canon Digital Professional Software (it should come with your camera)
I'm now shooting almost exclusively in RAW.

Between the lenses and shooting in RAW, IMHO I've taken a quantum leap in the quality of my photos. It's almost becoming the obsession I have with rifles.

One more thing. I sprung for good quality UV filters, mainly as protection for the lenses.

I plan to buy two more lenses before deer season. I've a deal working on the Canon 100-400 Zoom.

The fourth will be theCanon 100mm f/2.8L Macro USM. I've not yet decided whether to fork out the extra bucks for the IS, which is almost twice the price.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/16/14.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'd go with the non IS macro. Macro is best done from a tripod to lock in composition and focus distance. Spend the difference in price on a good Gitzo tripod and an Arca Swiss style ball head.

To the OP: f/2.8 lenses are fantastic tools but very heavy and bulky for everyday use and, with high ISO performance getting better every year, the bigger aperture is less necessary, particularly for anything other than fast moving action indoors or in poor light. Geedubya's two lenses are about as good as it gets in the Canon line and will cover just about anything.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Perhaps I should have mentioned that Oregon45 was the person that most influenced my decision to buy the two lenses that I purchased.

As to the non-IS macro, after all the reading I have done, I'm about 99% there, rather than the IS.

Thanks again for your recommendations and encouragement.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1234, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 74 invisible), 2,171 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,784
Posts18,495,971
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.