Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I am kinda starting to want me a .45.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
The 10mm's SAAMI design pressure is 37,500 psi. All of the factory made guns were designed for this level of pressure. IIRC the 45 Super runs at 27,000 PSI. What is diff. with the design that would make it unsuitable to this pressure level while the 10mm is fine in your book at 37,500?

There are no ".45 Super" guns made by any of the significant makers of .45 ACP pistols. Springfield Armory labeled one of their 1911's '45 Super', assumption on my part is that it was made for the 45 Super cartridge or they would not have labeled it thusly.

I suspect it is because the ammo made for the .45 Super is way over the SAAMI level for +P .45 ACP ammo. Such ammo can be expected to damage a .45 ACP pistol. If not set up correctly... there is some difference of opinion as to what is 'correctly' While one can argue that limited use might prevent significant damage, such damage can not be reliabily predicted to happen at a certain number of rounds. Therefore, a person using such ammo is gambling on his gun working with it, especially when he'd really need it to work. You do know that Clark and others convert 1911's to 460 Rowland (and sell kits to do the same), which is in your 44 Magnum territory! While not a factory... in our litigous society I would again ASSume that Clark has proven that the platform will hold up to this round or he would have stopped long ago due to lawsuits.

If others wish to gamble with the reliability of their choice of handguns, that's up to them. Frankly, if I need more power than a standard SAAMI .45 ACP load will give me, I'll break out a .44 Magnum. Can not argue with your choice or decision not to go the Super route! E

Blue is my response,

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 03/18/14.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

+1.........

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

Triton ammunition wanted to make .45 super but ran into issues with ACE, so they created a "new cartridge" called the SMC (which reportedly stood for suck my C@#k - in reference to Hindman). They did load some .45 Super ammunition with a 185 grain Flat Point FMG for the Navy Special Warfare to be used in their Mk 23 H&K pistols. Other than the owner of Triton mentioning that they did load that for the Navy, I've never heard anything more about it.

The .45 Super is a brilliant load.

I've got several boxes of the Triton 450 SMC, aka 450 Short Magnum Cartridge in 165 gr and 230 gr loads. It's loaded to pretty potent power levels. I also run Buffalo Bore 255 gr hardcast in my 1911.
I dumped a Glock 20 and replaced it with the 1911 in 45 Super.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
A properly built and timed 1911 can shoot both ACP and Super/SMC interchangeably, IMHO it is by far one of the most universal combinations you can have and quite under valued.

SMC and Super are identical except for primer size which is used, supers use lG PP While the SMC uses Sm.

Double Tap loads a number of potent loading as well in the SMC

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Seasons44
A properly built and timed 1911 can shoot both ACP and Super/SMC interchangeably, IMHO it is by far one of the most universal combinations you can have and quite under valued.

SMC and Super are identical except for primer size which is used, supers use lG PP While the SMC uses Sm.

But to do this correctly you need two different recoil springs.
Standard for the 45 ACP loads, including mild target.
Heavier for the Super. Read the history on the Super.
Even with a Square bottom firing pin stop and stronger main spring.

Takes about 2 minutes to switch out the recoil springs.

Takes about 2 minutes to switch out to the 460 with the Comp barrel also.
Much easier on the slide/frame than the Super. Do the research.
This "chambered" comp allows the barrel/slide disengagement to happened at around 45 +P pressures.
The Super caused too many problems. Again read up on it. That is why Johnney Rowland, Clark Custom and Wilson Combat came up with a better idea. I like the idea of NOT being able to load a ACP chamber with a hot round.

If you ever shot the 460. You would know. You can shoot the 460 with the comped barrel accurately as fast as any 45 ACP +P. I'm using a 20# Recoil spring in the 460. Cases eject 4 to 5 feet. Can't do that with a Super without the comp.

The 45 SUPER. Been there, done that. It tears your guns up. Slide velocity is too high on the return with the heavy springs needed. In some case the magazine spring has to be increased also to feed at this slide velocity.

Simple as this. If you have not experienced the 460 Rowland, you need to try one.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Mine is set up completely different. JRH increased the lock-up time with an 18,5 pound recoil spring. Throws brass 5 to 8 feet max. Shoots ACP and Super without the need to change springs. Clark only adds a heavier spring and that is why I did not choose to go that route.

Mat has shot more than one 460 Rowland. I am glad that you like yours, if it were not for the need of a compensator I might have gone that route. I simply do not want to add a compensator to my daily carry pistol.

Last edited by jwp475; 03/19/14.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I also do not like the heavy recoil springs for the reasons that you stated.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I did not say anything about daily carry. I either carry a S&W 60 with 3" barrel with adjustable sights or a Lightweight commander in 45 ACP. 45 ACP is plenty for daily carry. I use my 460 ON THE FARM. I hunt whitetail with it also. We have Eurasia hogs roaming the farm. I have been attack once. One of my sons carries a Delta Elite, the other carries a S&W 686 plus with 170gr Gold Dot Flat points.

It is very comfortable to carry a 1911 and crawl in and out of a truck, tractor or ATV. Cut wood whatever.

The comp is no problem what so ever. It has never cause a problem. Real world stuff here. Lots of it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For whatever it might be worth, I agree with Gibby about the Rowland. There is not much need for that much power (and noise!) in a carry gun. I would not carry a .44 mag loaded to full power as a self defense gun, either, under most conditions.
The Rowland is for hunting. The shooting of .460 in my Springfield Mil Spec with the Clark kit does not seem to have bothered the pistol as yet, although one "cheap" holo sight was destroyed quickly. I do consider it a tribute to the 1911 that it appears to handle cartridges like the .460 and the 10mm that are far more "powerful" than it was actually designed for.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I am thinking about contacting Clark to set up the Delta with a comp. Delta elites are hard to find and are not cheap. It will increase the longevity of the gun because it lowers the pressure significantly at the barrel/slide disengagement. It will also give me a match quality barrel with more case support.

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Gibby
I did not say anything about daily carry. I either carry a S&W 60 with 3" barrel with adjustable sights or a Lightweight commander in 45 ACP. 45 ACP is plenty for daily carry. I use my 460 ON THE FARM. I hunt whitetail with it also. We have Eurasia hogs roaming the farm. I have been attack once. One of my sons carries a Delta Elite, the other carries a S&W 686 plus with 170gr Gold Dot Flat points.

It is very comfortable to carry a 1911 and crawl in and out of a truck, tractor or ATV. Cut wood whatever.

The comp is no problem what so ever. It has never cause a problem. Real world stuff here. Lots of it.

I am glad that it works for you. Lots of real world experience here as well. My preference is not going to be the same as others.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gibby, I think that would be a good idea. I am "looking" at a Delta Elite now - although I've only seen pictures so far. I haven't seen many for sale in my general area, and this one is listed at $950.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

This "chambered" comp allows the barrel/slide disengagement to happened at around 45 +P pressures.
The Super caused too many problems. Again read up on it. That is why Johnney Rowland, Clark Custom and Wilson Combat came up with a better idea. I like the idea of NOT being able to load a ACP chamber with a hot round.

If you ever shot the 460. You would know. You can shoot the 460 with the comped barrel accurately as fast as any 45 ACP +P. I'm using a 20# Recoil spring in the 460. Cases eject 4 to 5 feet. Can't do that with a Super without the comp.

The 45 SUPER. Been there, done that. It tears your guns up. Slide velocity is too high on the return with the heavy springs needed. In some case the magazine spring has to be increased also to feed at this slide velocity.

Simple as this. If you have not experienced the 460 Rowland, you need to try one.

Gibby,

I have shot a number of Rowlands both on Glocks and 1911's to me the amount of pressure which it develops I would rather go to a revolver if that sort of work is needed.

The 45 Super properly done as stated is more than a spring change it requires adjusting the lock time, no not as simple as dropping in a barrel/comp and spring but the ability to have the power when I want it rather than always having to shoot one specific round to me is ideal.

Now on abuse to gun, I can tell you the 460 has quite a bit more slide velocity hence why the 460 is only done with a comp,and a helluva alot more pressure. If you ever shoot this conversion on a glock you would wonder how you didn't just eat the slide!
The super is all I would want in the 1911 platform.

Last edited by Seasons44; 03/19/14.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
Gibby, I think that would be a good idea. I am "looking" at a Delta Elite now - although I've only seen pictures so far. I haven't seen many for sale in my general area, and this one is listed at $950.

$950.00 is not bad if it in good shape. It's a Colt. They hold there value well. I know you are aware of the tricks to make the Delta run good and last. I love ours.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Gibby,

I have shot a number of Rowlands both on Glocks and 1911's to me the amount of pressure which it develops I would rather go to a revolver if that sort of work is needed.

The 45 Super properly done as stated is more than a spring change it requires adjusting the lock time, no not as simple as dropping in a barrel/comp and spring but the ability to have the power when I want it rather than always having to shoot one specific round to me is ideal.

Now on abuse to gun, I can tell you the 460 has quite a bit more slide velocity hence why the 460 is only done with a comp,and a helluva alot more pressure. If you ever shoot this conversion on a glock you would wonder how you didn't just eat the slide!
The super is all I would want in the 1911 platform.

I see your point. Eliminate the low power 45 loads and balance out the spring for the Super. But you are still disengaging the slide at high pressures. Even with the other tricks. The slide velocity is higher on the Super than the 460.

My point is:
Barrel/slide disengagement at apprx. 45 +P pressures.
20# spring (low slide velocity)
Ejects 4-5 feet.
That is what a well design comp does. It would help on the Super also.

As far as using a Revolver. I have many. A whole Bunch of them. from 22lr to 500 S&W. Close to 60 Revolvers.
We are NOT talking about revolvers.

I am talking about a gun that is compact and weighs 39 oz. that can shoot 7 or 8 rounds equal to a .41 mag with the ability to reload another 7 rounds quickly. Hell, I can shoot the comped 460 faster than a 45 ACP. Be surrounded by a bunch of wild sows and piglets and you will know what I am talking about.

I guarantee I can get off a full mag of 460 ACCURATELY ,again ACCURATELY, before I can get off 3 in my 57's or 29's.

If you really have shot the 460, you would know what I am talking about. Simple as that.

Now. I do not load the 460 to the max. I load in the same range as Wilson combat does with their ammo. That is plenty for what I use the 460 for. It is not for every occasion. It is easier on the gun than a Super is.

The Super is a good round. The 460 and the comp system is better. That's why it was developed because of all the problems with the 45 Super in a 1911.

Changing lock time? I covered that.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

The 460 slide velocity is higher then a 45 super it is a fact, Its why the setup can only be done with a comp and a 24 pound spring.

You mention you don't load the 460 to its max which in essence you are loading to 45 Super territory. Why would I want a comp if it can be eliminated?

My point is I believe the 460 is too much in a 1911, so I would prefer a properly timed 1911 which can shoot acp and supers interchangeably. There is no problem with the 45 Super guns if they are properly timed and fitted.

Did you damage your 1911 with the 45 supers?

As for better this is personal,I don't like comps on field carry guns it that simply, same reason I prefer short barrel revolvers

Last edited by Seasons44; 03/19/14.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
No I did not damage my 1911 with the Super. I did not have to. I figure it out real quick. When your running a 26# recoil spring and still kicking cases out to the next county even with using a square bottom firing pin stop and running a 25# main spring. It does not take much of that to figure out what it is doing to the gun.

The 1911 is good with .45 ACP and +P's.

With the design using a comp. The 460 is operating the action at around +P Pressures. (out of battery)

The Super is operating the action at well above the +P pressures.(out of battery)

I do not know how to explain it any other way.

A 1 1/2" comp does not get in my way at all working on the farm all day long. Doing a lot more activities than walking around.

I own a 460.
I own 33 1911's
I work with my guns on my hip on the farm. A lot.
I know what I need if I am ever surprised again by those hogs.

Real world stuff here. No Pretending.

Fact: The slide velocity is Higher on the Super than on a comped 460.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

Mine is set up completely different. JRH increased the lock-up time with an 18,5 pound recoil spring. Throws brass 5 to 8 feet max. Shoots ACP and Super without the need to change springs. Clark only adds a heavier spring and that is why I did not choose to go that route.

Mat has shot more than one 460 Rowland. I am glad that you like yours, if it were not for the need of a compensator I might have gone that route. I simply do not want to add a compensator to my daily carry pistol.

I'd really love to learn how he did that.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am thinking about contacting Clark to set up the Delta with a comp. Delta elites are hard to find and are not cheap. It will increase the longevity of the gun because it lowers the pressure significantly at the barrel/slide disengagement. It will also give me a match quality barrel with more case support.
Unless you go to a ramped barrel, the case support will be the same.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 219DW, 12344mag, 257Bob, 160user, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,677
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.