Print Thread
Hop To
E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
The reason I am asking is I have been experimenting with different powders for my Fw 7-08. From what I have been reading big game and mag primers are supposed to be a good powder but my results have been terrible. Last weekend I ran three different powders ( minus) the mag primers and the big game was the worst but Varget and R15 were close. Today I loaded up 140 grain partitions and 47 grains of 139 hornady with H4350 42 grains but the big game was 6 inches lower no chrono today. But I am guessing they were no where near the velocity. So what makes the difference from gun to gun. My results with 120 grain Varget were around 2950 @ the big game were around 2830 again no mag primer. I have no complaints with the Varget just curious.

Last edited by ehunter; 03/16/14.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, let me throw this out to blow your theory to bits: faster loads often hit lower on target at 100 yards or so.

#1 rule of rifle reloading -- no guessing.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Where changing components, where one load hits on the paper in comparison to another load is not relevant. It provided you with no meaningful data to compare different loads.

Find a load that gives you the group size and velocity you desire, then turn the turn the dials....problem solved....

Anything you change can change barrel harmonics, and size every barrel is different, each has it's own harmonics. Consequently they can be as fickle as women. No use arguing with either, just figure out what they like and give it to them. It will make your life simpler and easier in the end.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Where changing components, where one load hits on the paper in comparison to another load is not relevant. It provided you with no meaningful data to compare different loads.

Find a load that gives you the group size and velocity you desire, then turn the turn the dials....problem solved....

Anything you change can change barrel harmonics, and size every barrel is different, each has it's own harmonics. Consequently they can be as fickle as women. No use arguing with either, just figure out what they like and give it to them. It will make your life simpler and easier in the end.

... and velocity cannot be predicted by comparing how high or low the bullet hits the target.

Harmonics.
http://www.varmintal.com/amode.htm

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Consequently they can be as fickle as women. No use arguing with either, just figure out what they like and give it to them. It will make your life simpler and easier in the end.

Words of wisdom, my friend, words of wisdom.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
IC B2

E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I will run them though a chrony. Kitch That is something I can get my head around the fickle part.:)

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by steve4102
... and velocity cannot be predicted by comparing how high or low the bullet hits the target.

Harmonics.
http://www.varmintal.com/amode.htm

Well, you can get a pretty good idea of its directional component.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The 308 would have to drop 6 inches in 100 yards meaning
it was traveling about as fast as a 22 lr. Think about it
it has to be the vibrations, or something mechanical like
a loose scope.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I hate it when someone says tells me, "It is what it is" but in this case "it is." There's no rhyme or reason why one powder will have widely different points of impact from another even at 100 yds. The same thing happens when shooting different brands of bullets with the same powder charge.

I've even seen 4-5" difference even when shooting the same brand and same weight bullet but of different design. I have a favorite load for my .30/06 that uses a 180 gr Accubond and I wanted to see if I could use the 180 gr Ballistic Tip for practice. Same cases, same primer, same powder and charge weight, same distance off the lands.....no luck; they were 3" left and 2" lower.

As mentioned above, chose the one that gives the accuracy and velocity you can live with and run with it.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a rifle that will change POI as much as six inches with just a primer change.
As was said above it's in the harmonics and where in it's arc the bullet leaves the barrel.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (6MMWASP, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 35, 375sunrise, 10 invisible), 1,467 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,654
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.