Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
My buddy just gave $100 for this shot gun. It's in a hard leather case, engraved and checkered. It is about the heaviest side by side I've ever held. Wood to metal fit is beautiful, engraving and checkering nice, wood pretty. Maker is J Manton and co. I googled it and it said it's a cheap Folsom import. I've had cheap Folsom 12 gauge side by sides before and this gun looks and feels nothing like them. I was wondering if it could be a Joseph Manton gun from england? I got a couple cell phone pics down in his basement. Not the best, but maybe you can get a feel of the quality of this gun and give an opinion, Joe.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't look cheap to me

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO the engraving looks more like what would be seen on a Belgian import. Ask him to take some good photos of the water table and barrel flats. Proof marks, Belgian or English, may tall the tale. The Belgian guns did come in varying levels of quality.

Last edited by Grogel_Deluxe; 03/16/14.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Manton is an English maker. Well known too. A C note for that is a bargain. Even if it doesn't shoot. IMO.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
been down this road before and if memory serves date and address are important to see if it is the real deal or a cheap import.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on what Steve said. Manton was a well established British gunsmithing house back in the day. They also did dueling pistols. They produced quality firearms.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Does he plan to shoot it? Those old 10s are impressive. Especially around dusk.

Michael B

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ditto what Gary said. The engraving doesn't look like what a Best Quality English gun would wear. The proof marks will tell the tale. There were a lot of Belgian-made guns with English names that were slight variations on the real deal's names to get around copyright infringement. Those JABC's ("Just Another Belgian Clunker") have been fooling people for over a hundred years now. That's not to say it's bad gun- some of them were quite good- just the difference between a $200 gun and a $2000 one.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I picked up a hard case(I think it was for a rifle) several yrs ago at an estate sale, it had shipping stickers all over it, Africa, South America

Last edited by texken; 03/17/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nice hunk of walnut either way.... though those barrels look short for an old 10 gauge, any idea the length?

That is one of the sadder looking LOM cases I've seen... they are commonly pretty beat up with broken straps but that is the first I have seen with the nose completely collapsed.

Andrew
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Drew, you might be right. I kinda thought they were a bit short. What I did notice is there was no bead on them. Might have been cut down. I'm waiting to get another look. I'm pretty sure they had crossed halberds for proofs. That would be English. It is a pretty gun, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Should it have a bead?

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to agree with gnoaah. For comparison, here's a photo of a drilling that dates back to about 1910. Its a Charles Daly import, built in Prussia by J P Sauer ----- the quality is way above that 10ga double, but no where near what you'd expect to see produced by Manton. Just my opinion-- he got his $100 dollars worth any way you cut it !!

[Linked Image]

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 16gage, 204guy, 17CalFan, 34 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,861
Posts18,497,178
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.