View Large: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3768/13212210075_c18eb1872a_o.jpg

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
J,

what was the line out of one of the old bill cosby skits. Snakes, I know you're out there. Just give me a snakey lick, but none of the juice.

did you also do the micro printing on his tongue?LOL

Good Great stuff.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/17/14.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never been in that country during the right season so see one. Neat looking animal. What's about the max size for those boys?

1Minute
J
jasontx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 1minute
Never been in that country during the right season so see one. Neat looking animal. What's about the max size for those boys?

They stay pretty small. The largest I've seen was around 3 feet

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jasontx:
Three feet would get my attention. No, not a 5 or 6 ft Texas Diamondback, but still a good sized critter. I need to get the wife retired and spend some time down in that country. So much to do and so little time,

1Minute
IC B2

J
jasontx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 1minute
Jasontx:
Three feet would get my attention. No, not a 5 or 6 ft Texas Diamondback, but still a good sized critter. I need to get the wife retired and spend some time down in that country. So much to do and so little time,

I know what you mean. I need to get MYSELF and the wife retired so I can explore, hike, fish and photo more...sigh..someday smile

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Jason, this is way too close for me, unless this was with a 600mm

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
While working in Nevada, we stayed in Govt. trailers on site. In the evening after work we would drive the black top roads as the sidewinders liked to crawl up on the pavement to get warm when it cooled off in the fall.

Very seldom did we find one over 20" inches long, but they are the nastiest, mean tempered snake, only second to these little prairie rattlers we have on the eastern plains of Colorado.
We'd see one and get out of the truck. It would come 1/2 the distance, coil and rattle. Then come half the distance again. They would keep it up until they were right there in front of you. They sure wouldn't back down and slither away.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
jasontx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by RedRabbit
Jason, this is way too close for me, unless this was with a 600mm
LOL, I wish I could afford a 600!

Originally Posted by saddlesore
While working in Nevada, we stayed in Govt. trailers on site. In the evening after work we would drive the black top roads as the sidewinders liked to crawl up on the pavement to get warm when it cooled off in the fall.

Very seldom did we find one over 20" inches long, but they are the nastiest, mean tempered snake, only second to these little prairie rattlers we have on the eastern plains of Colorado.
We'd see one and get out of the truck. It would come 1/2 the distance, coil and rattle. Then come half the distance again. They would keep it up until they were right there in front of you. They sure wouldn't back down and slither away.

This one wasn't too aggressive. He did strike a couple of times but I was in his personal space so he gets a pass. While he never "chased" me, when I laid down in front of him, he didn't try to hard to avoid crawling right up in my face to get past me either. When he got about 12 inches or so, I gave in and got out of his way smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Great shot! I can understand the whole right of way with this guy!

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I know what you mean about the snakes staying warm. One day my wife and I walked to our mailbox (1/2 mile away) and in the middle of the road was this fine lady! About 5 feet long, as big around as my arm. She went to the side of the road curled up and posed! This is why I always carry a camera! Sony NEX-7 with the Tamron 18-200mm e mount lens. Canebrake Rattlesnake, relative of the Timber Rattler.

[Linked Image]

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
J
jasontx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by CameraLandTamronPhotAdv
I know what you mean about the snakes staying warm. One day my wife and I walked to our mailbox (1/2 mile away) and in the middle of the road was this fine lady! About 5 feet long, as big around as my arm. She went to the side of the road curled up and posed! This is why I always carry a camera! Sony NEX-7 with the Tamron 18-200mm e mount lens. Canebrake Rattlesnake, relative of the Timber Rattler.

[Linked Image]

Beautiful snake and shot!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 222ND, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,609
Posts18,511,675
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.