-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I see either stovejacks placed up near the peak, or coming out the sidewall....what do you prefer, and why?
I can see advantages to both, but would like your experienced opinions before I go cutting a hole in my tent.

Thanks,
Johnny

No Farmers---No Food
GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My tipi has to door flaps that you can enter through so I put mine in one side of the doorway which is the vestibule in my tipi .Don't put it where you might be sleeping as rain may drip through.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Generally for stability center is best. It depends on what you want and what kind of tent it is

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The more chimney you have inside the tent, the more heat you get out of it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That makes sense Rock Chuck....don't waste your BTUs outside the tent...tent is a go-lite SL-5..
Kevin,...safe to assume more stability with the pipe straight up and down in the wind too..

Thanks,
Johnny

No Farmers---No Food
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I bought one of Ed T's stoves that just came a couple days ago. It has a 7.5' chimney and it gets too hot to touch clear to the top. The bottom 18" is red when the stove is cooking. If most of it is outside the tent, you lose a lot of your heat. Besides that, I don't know how hot that chimney is, but I don't want the hot part going through the stove jack.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The above posts are correct that state you want as much pipe inside to capture that extra heat. Also too much sticking out or exiting too low and you have stability issues, especially in the wind.

Ed T

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by flattop_johnny
..tent is a go-lite SL-5..

Thanks,
Johnny

As to your original question- IMO, everyone here is correct with peak and as much of chimney in the heated shelter.

But specific to your SL5 ( which is a very good heated shelter- I have one with a stove jack in it as well )- there are 4 sides to choose from for the stove jack. I have seen people put it by or in the upper vent sides ( front and back walls on an SL5), but to me that does not make sense. Because front door wall is not a great position and back wall takes up too much good sleeping area and puts stove farther from door for bringing in wood.

So that leaves the (R) and (L) side walls ( from door location), and to me the (R) side makes the most sense. I have seen a lot of people put their stove jack on the (R) side wall and to me it is the best in an SL5.

Mine is placed on the (L) side wall ( bought it from someone that way) and I am not sure that I like it there as well. And that is mostly because of more than solo use. For solo use, my (L) side location is fine. But for more than me, I would have preferred it on (R) side wall.

The SL5 with a stove, for more than 1p, is really then only a 2 person shelter- with gear, wood, sleeping bags etc. The (R) side wall, by center of shelter leaves the stove close to door- good for wood; and it leaves room for one fella to sleep on the (L) side and another to sleep on back wall and that fella can still get to door around the wood and stove on (R) side without going over or by the fella on (L) side wall. Also it leaves plenty of room for a couple to have the whole (L) side wall away from door and stove if it is put on the (R) side.

My jack on the (L) side is not as ideal to me for more than solo use, because- the front wall and (R) side wall if used for sleeping is somewhat affected with ingress and egress from the door. So that leaves one fella on back wall and another with their bag close to door on (R) side or front side. So- the (L) side location has me going around gear or bags when bringing in wood. Whereas if my jack/ stove was on the (R) side wall there is only a direct path from door to stove for both entering and exit and to bring wood. I certainly deal with the location, but it is not where I would have put it. So.... from my experience-put the jack on (R) side wall up high.

I know you can angle the pipe somewhat and move stove a little bit from it being right below the jack- but that is not as ideal as putting it in line from the stove and straight up to jack.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you llama for the very specific to my tent answer...I too didn't want to take away from the vents ability to cross ventilate, so was looking to either the the right or left side. Looks like it will be to the right!

No Farmers---No Food
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here is my SL 4, which I believe is the same size as the SL 5. I've had this setup since 2009. I use a 6" ti goat cylinder stove and I bought some silnylon and added a skirt around the bottom to keep more heat in when needed. If I need more ventilation I also sewed on ties for holding it up. With the stove near the center the pipe is very stable in the wind. I put the stove jack where one of the vents was and I added a couple cords to the other vent which I can sinch up from the inside to close the vent. In the first picture you can see that the vent is closed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by mod7rem; 03/21/14.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a 8x8x6.5 tipi. weighs 4.5lbs. I had a stove jack put in on the rt hand side, low on the wall. My reasoning was that with the wind right I would have fewer spark holes, as most of the sparks would blow or drift far enough before they came in contact with the tipi. This fall it rained/snowed for 21 hours strait and off and on for the next 3 days. Thank goodness for the stove! When all was said and done, I only had 3 small spark holes to patch after 6 days of hunting.(the one snowing raining day was spent next to the stove the whole time.) As to the heat issue, my stove with 3ft of pipe inside the tent, (and 4ft on the outside) just about ran me out it was so hot. I was hunting deer at 8500ft, and when the stove was going I was in my pants, and a t shirt. I hunt solo, so the space was not an issue. Hope that helps.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 16gage, 160user, 16penny, 49 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,421
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.