Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#8691564 03/18/14
1B Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am having a new custom rifle built and for the first time in 20 years it is a bolt gun instead of a #1.

Basic components are: FN Commercial action, 26" Shilen barrel, TIMNEY trigger, classy English walnut stock with Niedner style steel butt plate, all in 270 WBY. Promised completion date October -- ready for deer season here.

1B

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why the radical departure from the Ruger 1?

Me

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Are you taking over/under bets on the delivery date? If you are, I'll take the over.

1B Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Teal -- I came across the FN metal and a piece of wood it was a shame to cut in half. Plus my smith Kip Wood is an artist and I have had a yen for Paul Jaeger-type custom for a long time.

utah78 -- A wide bet give the run of the mill. But the last rifle from this smith was delivered dead on the money as he tends not to over promise on early deliveries. (Hre startd up the work before my first check was in the mail too.) No, I won't give you his name until my piece is done for fear you guys will deluge him with work.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 03/19/14.
1B Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
utah78,

Just got an email from my smith re the delivery date on my custom 270 WBY. Instead of October as promised, he now says I should expect it by early September at the latest!

Don't you just hate it when someone can't deliver on schedule?

I'll keep you posted through the actual delivery.

Regards,
1B

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1B, yours sounds like a near clone of my deer rifle. I am going PacNor and 257WBY, but everything else is the same. Mine is also supposed to be done "This summer" some time. I am anxious to get it and test fire it as soon as possible! Oops, thought of one other monor difference, maybe. I am having a Gentry three position Model 70 style safety put on mine.

Great blueprint or platfrom there, for sure!

I predict much happiness and blood for your new deerblaster.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
safariman,

I wish I had your toy budget. Must be nice!

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
1B Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Safariman.

The smith is doing a 3 position safety on mine too but I'll have to ask him who makes it.

The early delivery date is due to an unexpected shipment of Krieger barrels that came through after a looong wait.

The wood I'm using is interesting as it is English walnut from trees imported from the UK that were part of an old plantation on the Eastern Shore of MD. Straight grained, and really dense so it calls for some fine checkering work. (I am lucky to have a custom flintlock wood supplier nearby who saves nice blanks for me at modest prices too.) I have asked him to do a stock along the lines of the Jaeger classics I have always admired from a distance.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 04/06/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doubletap
safariman,

I wish I had your toy budget. Must be nice!

Actually, my budget is pretty strained. I did a trade with a gunsmith who wanted my CETME in exchange for the change out of my barrel and Safety. No cash involved. This will be my first re barrel job in about 10 years, and is close to a "build" as I will do for a very lone time. Not complaining at all, as I am grateful that during my working years I did have a little cash to get a couple of nice builds done. The rifles I had done up in that era of life will now serve me and my heirs for a long time to come.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1B
Safariman.

The smith is doing a 3 position safety on mine too but I'll have to ask him who makes it.

The early delivery date is due to an unexpected shipment of Krieger barrels that came through after a looong wait.

The wood I'm using is interesting as it is English walnut from trees imported from the UK that were part of an old plantation on the Eastern Shore of MD. Straight grained, and really dense so it calls for some fine checkering work. (I am lucky to have a custom flintlock wood supplier nearby who saves nice blanks for me at modest prices too.) I have asked him to do a stock along the lines of the Jaeger classics I have always admired from a distance.

1B

WOW, this one is going to be AWSEOME! I am anxious to see it when it is done! Major congratulations are in order already, with more to come when we see the finished product.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Consider the 7mm Remington Mag. instead. It's far more popular and easy to find components for.

Also a 24" barrel would make the rifle handier.

When commissioning a custom walnut stock provide specific dimensions and features including pictures of what you want.

I have rifles with hard metal butt plates and much prefer the softer ones like the Decelerator.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
GFY

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1B, it sounds like it's going to be a very nice rifle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
GFY

Good for you.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

311 members (14idaho, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 48 invisible), 2,055 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,992
Posts18,481,107
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.