Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
remfak Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not too sure. I haven't spoken with them yet, just got a couple of emails this morning with some great lights pics.

GB1

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by remfak
[quote=Ray]
That's friction awesome Ray.

Thanks.
-----------------
And yes, the red color has been common this season as you can see below:
[Linked Image]

remfak Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I can only hope to see one like that. Wow, green and red....way cool!

One more day then headin' your way...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If it's clear and you drink coffee, you should get to see the lights. Thurs and Fri are your best bets.

http://classic.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=fai&wuSelect=WEATHER

A series of 3/9 forecast nights coming up.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/Alaska/

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ray
[quote=Ray]

Thanks.
-----------------
[Linked Image]
What kind of camera u using? great shot!!! I go to sleep before 10pm 95% 0f the time...I get up to the drain the monkey.... and take a look ..but I have missed the red ones thus far.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Originally Posted by Ray
[quote=Ray]

Thanks.
-----------------
[Linked Image]
What kind of camera u using? great shot!!! I go to sleep before 10pm 95% 0f the time...I get up to the drain the monkey.... and take a look ..but I have missed the red ones thus far.

I used a Canon 5DII for the photos above, but sometimes i also use a 7D with similar results, although the 5DII allows for higher ISO speeds with less digital noise than the 7D. But digital noise is not a problem with taking photos of the Auroras, since you can remove most of the noise with PhotoShop or the NIK noise-removal plugin. I also use ultra-wide lenses with wide apertures (around f/2.8).

You can use just about any digital camera brand (Nikon, Canon, and so forth), and this is what I do (camera on a solid tripod):

a. 600 or higher ISO (even 1,000 if very dark outside)
b. From 11 to 13-second exposures
c. Lens and camera on manual mode, with the lens manual-focused to infinite (the mark on little figure 8 on the lens barrel)
d. Viewfinder covered with electrical tape, before pressing the shutter release button

Some cameras include a viewfinder curtain, but mine don't. So I cut three pieces of black electrical tape and make a small curtain to cover the viewfinder. I look through the viewfinder to make sure that everything looks right (compose the image), move the tape down over the viewfinder, and then press the shutter button. The first image will show on the screen, so I look at it carefully to make sure that the horizon is correct, the focus is good, and so on. If everything is fine, then I just keep on pressing the shutter button over and over again to take a bunch of photos.

Last edited by Ray; 03/04/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I need to learn to use our stock cannon powershot G12 better! thanks!

remfak Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
On my way up! Sitting in Seattle airport waiting for my connection to Fairbanks. Can't wait to join my bro's, see Alaska for the first time, catch some lights (I hope), and have a blast. If anyone is up for a beer, on me, let me know.

Robert

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
so u..... are the one bring this snow !!! a after work beer sound good to me ...

B
B
How was the trip?

IC B3

remfak Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Trip was fantastic! We were able to see lights on 3/6 nights; the two brothers that got there earlier saw lights, real good ones, on their first 4 nights there (7/10 nights). We were able to cross-country ski in two different beautiful locations, we took in the ice sculpture festival multiple times, we took a road trip to Denali (town totally shut down but the park was open for 12 miles), and we were able to go dog sledding too. The only thing we wanted to take in but were unable to find a single option to do so was a back-country snow machine tour. We called everywhere and couldn't find anything. The hot springs had an option but only if you wanted to pay good money for a 45 minute single file "ride" around their property. No thanks to that.

Unfortunately, due to timing and scheduling conflicts with my bros, I was unable to hook-up and have a beer with atvalaska. I am still bummed about that and will make it up next time as I am sure to go back. Great time, great people, and beautiful (and frigid cold) country!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (270wsmnutt, 06hunter59, 257Bob, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 66 invisible), 13,157 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,161
Posts18,542,886
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.