Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No to tipping the taxidermist.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have worked as both a guide and outfitter and I have worked with at least a dozen Taxidermists.

As an Outfitter I don't expect a tip and make that clear right up front. Some guys are generous any way. I kinda expect a tip for the guide but only if they earned it. 20% seems awful generous at that.

I've sold a lot of hides and capes to the taxidermy trade over the years and never got a tip--thought never occured to either side. Sometimes the dickering over price on fur resembles a used car lot--would you tip a used car salesman?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rem141r
this tipping crap is out of hand. tip your wait staff and your guide if they do a good job. stop with all the tipping already. if you find yourself tipping everyone, you have too much damn money.

A voice of (at least semi-) reason. Thank you.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

Huh? Do you guys tip your dentist? (those of you with teeth)

laugh

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If he can't price his work correctly, let him learn. Do not tip!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He sets a price he is happy with - tipping is not necessary. If he feels his time is worth more than he is currently charging he will adjust accordingly.

Last edited by hillestadj; 03/20/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of you guys just tickle me to the quick. Seriously when you get out of the hospital do you tip your Doctor and staff?

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I never have. I don't tip my barber either. My wife gets on me about it all the time but I say, he sets the price of the haircut at $12, if he wanted $13 he should've charged $13. Only exception is the last haircut I get before Christmas I'll give him a $20 and leave the change.

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have only received a handful of tips from customers. The standard protocol is to tell your taxidermist you are in no hurry. Then wait about a week to start calling on a weekly basis. Once the taxidermist calls and tells you it is ready, wait another two weeks to a month to pick it up and pay the balance.

In other words, treat them as if they were a gunsmith? smile

I'm sure its quite the same. I have mounts unpaid for and I haven't done work since the late 90s....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Simoneaud
no the taxidermist charges enough, he went from 350 to 450 this year for a whitetail. I'll tip a guide, but the the taxidermy man

I wouldn't touch a deer for either of those prices. Your taxidermist is making $4 an hour.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only if I thought some exceptional work was delivered.

1Minute
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
no the taxidermist charges enough, he went from 350 to 450 this year for a whitetail. I'll tip a guide, but the the taxidermy man

I wouldn't touch a deer for either of those prices. Your taxidermist is making $4 an hour.

I don't know about 4 an hour, but more like start heads here at 550 before I'd consider it again. At least for our whitetail.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I do tip my barber. He charges 13 for me and my son and I give him two twenties mostly because I don't always have change because I don't carry cash. Plus he is a great barber in a lousy neighborhood I don't want to hang out at. I walk in with lines out the door. A quick handshake and I am in the chair while all the people lined up are staring daggers. He is trying to get through school and is trying to raise his fianc�s kid so I figure it I am donating in my own way to a cause I know is good.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
NEVER HAVE AND NEVER WILL.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

just grabbed the newest McKenzie catalog ive got handy.....cheapest forms i see are at $50 plus or minus a few bucks before shipping....most are in the $60-80 range if your not doing anything fancy....tack on cost of eyes, ear forms, cost of tanning.....hell unless i wasnt expecting much ild be leery of one that charges sub $500.....which is why im a HUGE fan of European mounts laugh

Last edited by rattler; 03/20/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
There was a brand new taxi / guy I knew and he was charging 475 which is slightly over the local rate which is anywhere from scarey cheap sub 350 to 450 for quality work. I saw one of his deer and it had a neck like a toothpick and looked like a yearling with a giant head/rack. Funniest mount I have ever seen. I picked up my rack after that and never went back. A friend had taken it over to him after recommending him. Price isn't a good marker I don't think.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bust my rear very day making electricity for you bunch of cheapo's. None of you EVER give me a tip!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
I bust my rear very day making electricity for you bunch of cheapo's. None of you EVER give me a tip!

Don't eat yellow snow. grin

Last edited by Mr_Saw; 03/20/14.

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gremcat
There was a brand new taxi / guy I knew and he was charging 475 which is slightly over the local rate which is anywhere from scarey cheap sub 350 to 450 for quality work. I saw one of his deer and it had a neck like a toothpick and looked like a yearling with a giant head/rack. Funniest mount I have ever seen. I picked up my rack after that and never went back. A friend had taken it over to him after recommending him. Price isn't a good marker I don't think.

the point of my post was the fact that at the very least that first $100 plus is eaten up by supplies depending on what kinda mount you want and what kind of tanning is used no matter who is doing it....but i guess ive also seen so many poorly done ones and me not making alot of money if im gonna pay someone to actually do a deer head for me ild want to make sure its done right which likely means ive got to pay someone thats established and is charging above average.....hence why for the most part i dont think past a european mount.....rather have a skull on the wall than a cartoon deer head cause i trusted the wrong guy crazy

Last edited by rattler; 03/20/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Tip the farmer, the grocery store clerk, come on. That's what wages are for.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

424 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 257wthbylover, 55 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.