-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ok, so I went across the street to the gun shop because I was curious about the size of the Kahr CM9 when compared to the CW9 and I wanted to see if they had any of the new 2013 Ruger LCP's. The trigger is supposed to be much improved and I wanted to check it out for myself.

While there they told me that they got in one Glock 42 that is for rent at their range. They don't have any to sell yet.

So, I asked if I could check it out.

First impressions when I saw it, before even touching it were, "wow! That's a Glock!? But it's so tiny!"

They handed me the LCP to put up next to it for comparison. The barrel was about 1/2" longer on the Glock which means more sight radius. The hight was exactly the same. Of course the Glock was slightly, and I really mean slightly wider. Seriously, it's less than half as wide as the Glock 26.

Speaking of sights, they are typical Glock sights. I'd want to replace them with after market night sights, but I don't believe they are made for this gun yet. Just like other Glocks, the rear sight spans the width of the slide, which being so much thinner than the Glock 26/27 slides, means you can't buy and use aftermarket stuff that you'd use on other Glocks.�

Speaking of aftermarket stuff, I usually replace the trigger connector and spring in my Glocks. Until somebody makes those specifically for the 42, that can't be done. While the action and build are the same, the dimensions are significantly smaller.�

The trigger is very crisp though. Much stiffer than the typical 5.5lb trigger that I'm accustomed to with Glocks. The pull is much shorter than either the Ruger, kel-tec, or Khar and the reset is real short as well. All in all, I really liked that trigger.�

The magazine is single staked and holds 6. While looking at it, I can only assume that they did that to accommodate NY gun owners add there is clearly enough magazine left to have one or two more rounds placed in it. I suspect that we'll see that in the aftermarket world.�

The mag release was flat, like the Gen 4 Glocks, but it was more flush against the grip. While this made it comfortable to hold, indexing the magazine was less intuitive and more deliberate. Although, the release is reversible.�

The take down was typical for a Glock. Very simple. This revealed the key component that really sets this gun apart in my mind, the recoil spring.�

It's a two stage spring! This made the shooting experience absolutely divine! That spring allows for +P ammo. Normally, these little uber light 380's are quite snappy to shoot. This felt like shooting a 22mag. Muzzle rise was almost nonexistent which means that you can empty that 6rd mag in the blink of an eye.

All in all, I'm really impressed. I honestly didn't think that the 42 was going to be all that different than the 26. I couldn't be more wrong.�

For those interested in the pocket sized 380's like the LCP, kel-tec, diamondback, or khar, I'd highly recommend that you give this Glock a look...

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I need to make one correction, and it's a significant one...

The gun I compared it to for a size comparison was the M&P Shield, not the LCP.

While I did compare it to the LCP, the size more closely relates to the Shield.

Which begs the question, when will they come out with a 9mm version?

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
When sales of the 380 slow. Then everyone that bought the 380 will buy the 9mm.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I agree Scott. With this gun being close in size to other Pocket 9's, I'm thinking that it'll be a tough sell as a 380.

Then again, shooting it was fun. You really could do a full range day with it and not have sore hands.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I molested a few at the gun show a few weeks ago, you are correct, it is on par with the single stack 9mms, too big for true concealed pocket carry and no reason for a .380 that big nowadays

When the 9mm comes out, they wont be able to make enough

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The one I shot was easier to shoot than my Kahr p380. Shot it at 25 feet it was accurate.

Last edited by jimmyp; 03/21/14.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
R
i have one and love it. still trying to find a holster i like

FJB
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Check here : https://www.n82tactical.com/store/holsters/glock-42

I love their holsters all day long!

I'll have to look at a G42,

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Might just have to wait and see if they do it in a 9mm after reading that.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,094
Posts18,483,019
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.