Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
agreed. i took the 6.5x out the other day when i was bored and watched the cows.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders

Just make sure that you don't get a pair from the grey market - the warranty may not be honored. My first high dollar pair of bins were Leica 10x42 trinovid bn and were from a grey market internet dealer - I didn't know what that was at the time. I sent the warranty card off and Leica basically replied gfy.

That grey market clap-trap the companies spruik irritates me, they either made them and owe warranty or they did not make them and don't owe warranty.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Many years ago I bought Brunton Eterna 10x42 for $250 out of the buy and sell, at the time they sold for ~$600 new. They agree with my eyes and I don't get fatigued looking through them for extended periods. At the price point its the best I could come up with.

Adalwolf
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
JSTUART,

Apparently Leica has a reputation for not-so-sterling customer service, which is no doubt a major reason Swarovski has a bigger share of the "alpha" market. Swarovski CS wasn't so hot either 20 years ago, but they learned a lot from Leupold.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Not trying to hijack this thread but I would like to hear some opinions on a good pair of compact woods binoculars. I am looking to purchase a smaller pair of binos for woods use and leave my swarovski 10x42 ELs in the truck or for open country work. I would like to get something with quality in the ballpark of my swarovski glass but not looking to spend so much. What models should I be considering in the 7x30 range
?
thanks

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32 is what I just bought - pretty darn nice for $675 as a demo unit from Cameralandny.com

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sounds good, I thought about giving Doug a call next week and seeing what he recommended.
Keep the info coming guys

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Dude270
Not trying to hijack this thread but I would like to hear some opinions on a good pair of compact woods binoculars. I am looking to purchase a smaller pair of binos for woods use and leave my swarovski 10x42 ELs in the truck or for open country work. I would like to get something with quality in the ballpark of my swarovski glass but not looking to spend so much. What models should I be considering in the 7x30 range
?
thanks

i bought a pair of meopta 6.5x32 from doug for woods hunting. they r excellent. built tough. very bright zero eye strain

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by rosco1
I guess what I dont get is the guys that go out and buy every mid price range bin on the market so they can tell us how they are almost as good as the more expensive stuff, WTF? buy a pair of top end 10's and some 15's and end the mental masturbation.

If your job is to review optics then I get it, otherwise it makes no sense to me.

I do agree that the mid range stuff is pretty nice, my zeiss classics that i kept in my truck full time came up missing last fall. I replaced them with Zeiss Terra ED's and am pretty impressed with them.

Yep.

Years ago the Pentax WP's were touted as being within 5% of the alphas.

Then along came the Pentax DCF SP's that were touted as being within 5% of the alphas.

Then a short while later Minox were touted as being within 5% of the alphas.

Then Kahles were touted as being within 5% of the alphas.

Then Vortex Razors were touted as being within 5% of the alphas.

Then the Zen-Ray ED's were touted as being within 5% of the alphas.

Then the Zen-Ray ED2's were touted as being within 5% of the alphas.

Then the Zen-Ray ED3's were touted as being within 5% of the alphas.

Then the Zen-Ray Primes were touted as being within 5% of the alphas.

Then the.......

Then the.......

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by killindeer
Originally Posted by Dude270
?
thanks

i bought a pair of meopta 6.5x32 from doug for woods hunting. they r excellent. built tough. very bright zero eye strain

Excellent advice here - from a guy who also has the same model.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wahputi:

I agree with you about the ZenRay optics. The shine has gone
off the next best thing going on in optics today.

It seems trying to produce a quality product in China is difficult.
Unless you have control of things, as some large mfrs. such as
Nikon or Zeiss, the slogan with many China made products is make it "just good enough".

And then when you offer a warranty you have too many coming back, you are in a pickle.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I went on dougs website and found the 6.5x32 meoptas they look like a perfect fit for a woods hunting bino.
thanks all

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
youll love em

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well the Conquest arrived yesterday. Wow, I mean wow - darn these are nice. From the moment you pick them up you know your dealing with quality. Put them up to your eyes and it just gets better. I think the view is even better than my old Nikon LX's which is really saying something. You would really have to be picky to find fault with the Conquest HD's. I have not really had a chance to really work them over but they just have that breath taking quality view that never gets old. Very pleased so far.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Zeiss hit a home run with the Conquest HD's. Glad they work so well for you.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
centershot,

I figured you would like em.

Build quality, optical quality etc...what's not to like?

Worth every penny in my book.

Enjoy,

Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 03/20/14.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Could not agree more leftybolt - and for the prices Cameralandny has them for - I am a happy camper.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are a varmint hunter, it can't be too good.

I recommend the Big Three. L, Z or S. cool

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Zeiss hit a home run with the Conquest HD's. Glad they work so well for you.

Gonna take a close look at these.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,889
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.