Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't you use honey buckets in Nikishka? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nope, we're uptown now. We have an outhouse.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrnBear
If you don't like crapping in a honey bucket, move to where there are no honey buckets.
We left Oklahoma after WWII because we couldn't make a decent living. We moved to Wash. State. We left our traditions and cultures behind.
Hint! Move.

And we wonder why half of Mexico is trying to get into the US??? Sounds familiar.

And 'we' move to New York, LA, Seattle, or Anchorage and then complain that the pork we get comes from pigs that never saw the light of day, and can't figure out why so much of our food is or has GMO cropping involved, grown on lands which are owned and managed by multi-national corporations whose sole interest is their bottom line.

Did you ever ask yourself why Alaska's two largest cities even exist, or developed to the size they presently are anyway? I hope your answer was government infrastructure, cause that's what the railroad was and is.

Do you suppose that the communities served by the Alaska Marine Highway would mind if they had to pay full fare, rather than receive a subsidy in order to make the convenience of transportation affordable?

None of this answers the question regarding whether this (ANILCA) NW refuge needs a road joining these two small communities. I would venture that Jewell's answer to the people made Carter smile. Perhaps there's a clue there.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BrnBear
Nope, we're uptown now. We have an outhouse.

We have two!

I tend to use more than enough gun
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
When I started this thread I was struck by the chance to get 60,000 acres back into public (though Fed) hands, with an access corridor for $283.33 an acre.

Several interesting points made, especially the number of fatalities the road is likely to encourage outweighing the numbers due to lack of an airport...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
zing....?

My youngest grandaughter is 5 1/2 years old and maybe 48 lbs soaking wet. I took her out on a "fur-finding" scout trip after the fresh snow. Two miles in we cut a wolf piss-post marking a boundary. Looked like it was being used by three animals anyway. Good find that!

After reading this today, I quickly understand how this little darling was soooo much like the cheechako Walt on one point. I told her, "Now there's some good sign." She exclained, "Don't be silly Grandpa, there isn't a sign there. The stores are all back in town!" After a few seconds worth of explaining the new-to-her definition, she got it.

Of course, that's just one more difference between a 5 1/2 year old and the cheechako Walt, thinks I. wink

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Several interesting points made, especially the number of fatalities the road is likely to encourage outweighing the numbers due to lack of an airport...

I was thinking the same, though rather speculative perhaps. Kind of like the road between Pitka's Point and Saint Mary's maybe? Perhaps that area wouldn't be so hard on dirt roads as in some places. I hardly expect it would be a turnpike however, based on what I have seen with rural dirt roads in Alaska, which isn't to say it wouldn't be well-traveled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
weirdo website that many can appreciate, but this may be why lisa is concerned...

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/03/11/3391871/alaska-road-to-nowhere-money/

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sagebrusher
Looks like King Cove has an airport, too, why not just make it all weather?

They can't or won't. No one wants to fly through the funnel.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think there's still room between Anchorage and Wasilly to move these folks to a more logical location.........put 'em right next to the folks from Kivilina, Shishmaref, Point Hope, L. Diomede........... wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by watch4bear
weirdo website that many can appreciate, but this may be why lisa is concerned...

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/03/11/3391871/alaska-road-to-nowhere-money/

Interesting angle I had not heard anything about. Follow the money.

Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) has long fought for the road, even trying to hold up nominations to get approval. A review of political gifts to Senator Murkowski and her political action committee, Denali Leadership PAC, reveals a trail of donations made by organizations and lobbyists with a financial stake in the construction of the road. It appears to reinforce what anti-government waste advocates, local emergency personnel, Native Alaskan villages, wildlife professionals, and former agency leaders have long been saying: there is a lot more to the story than what Senator Murkowski and the conservative outlets claim.

Among the political contributions to Murkowski, the most significant are from a firm that has been paid nearly $800,000 since the 1990s to lobby Congress and the Administration on behalf of the Aleutians East Borough (AEB), a long-standing advocate for the road project.

Senator Murkowski also received Peter Pan Seafood�s largest political contribution in 2012, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, and she is the only member of the Senate they have donated to in 2014. Peter Pan operates the largest cannery in King Cove.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And Peter Pan cares because?????? Is it so difficult to insure people when medical access is less than ideal? Or employ people when medical access is questionable?

Next up........we're going to wish we had just bought the bridge to nowhere............. Diomede requests a bridge to Wales! laugh

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The link indicates it's about fish, not health care.

Despite the claims of Murkowski and conservative commentators that the road is needed to help residents get access to health care, former Interior Secretary Bruce noted in an op-ed published Tuesday in the Los Angeles Times that the original purpose of the road � when it was initially proposed in the 1990s � was to expedite the shipping of seafood from the canneries of King Cove to Cold Bay.

The Aleutians East Borough, which has spent nearly $800,000 lobbying Sen. Murkowski and Congress, says it wants to enable direct flights of live King Cove crab from Cold Bay�s airport to China, Japan, and other Asian markets.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Great; now ya went and told everybody grin

Aren't seafood people too?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oops. My bad.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Aren't seafood people too?

Dam right!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Fleetwood Mac had a song called "You make guessing fun"...... and you had to go and spoil it! laugh

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oops. My bad.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 458Win
You could build everyone in King Cove a house in Cold Bay for less than $ 17 mil and let those who chose to live isolated to continue.

This entire thing is a slippery slope argument from people who choose to live in remote settings and then expect taxpayers to subsidies them with all the amminities they left behind.

Phil have you thought about running for governor? I think you have potential. Problem is your too logical!!! :roll:

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, Aero, 14 invisible), 1,333 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,678
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.