-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Because of this thred, I tried JJ's....NOT the greatest, but a step up from Subway.

Still like TOGOS WAY better...(GRIN!)

Virgil B.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Did you eat a big pickle?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paul39
I wonder if people who live in parts of the country where the norm is chain sandwich shops have ever experienced a real sub or hero or po'boy or whatever they're called locally, in a place where people know, appreciate, and demand good food? I tried Port of Subs in SG. What a joke! Soft mushy bread. Tried Bishops. A good old time type grill, founded in 1942, serves decent comfort food, but I sure didn't see much in the way of sandwiches on the menu.

I lived in New Orleans for a couple of years and got spoiled by po' boys and muffalettas, made on bread baked the same day. Same with Italian heros on the east coast, and real Philly cheese steaks.

If you haven't had that kind of sandwich you've missed a great food experience. Chain store sandwiches aren't even in the same league.

Paul

Paul,

thanks for the heads up on Apollo in St George. I mentioned Bishops as a breakfast place, as the OP was talking about St. George.

No comparison made or intended between a good one-off sandwich shop and even the best fast-food, we are in agreement there.

There was a post previously, "you can have a sandwich fast, cheap or good, pick one."

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Best sandwich chain there is.

what he said

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have eaten a lot of JJ sandwiches. I like them pretty well. Definitely better than Subway, which ain't sayin' much. Not bad, but nothing special IMO.

I get subs made by the local party store/deli. For $5 they are FAR better than any of the chains.........

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
They're ok. Not as good as Pickle Barrel though.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right. As I mentioned in an earlier post, restaurant owners not in larger cities have a tough time finding decent bread.

Sycamore and others in the area, if you want a good fast meal in St. George, try Apollo Burger on the east side. It's not really a sub shop, more about burgers and related stuff. I've met Jimmy, the owner, and he's a real pro at the business. It's a small family owned chain of about a dozen stores out of SLC. Greeks, with a few Greek items along with the burgers and such. Good fresh food made and served by staff that's on the ball.

Paul

Paul,

we screwed up this weekend (well, not bad, just a little)

Had breakfast at Bishops Grill, and did some shopping, finally hit Dixie Gun and Fish, and before leaving town, went to In and Out Burger, we had to drive right by Apollo Burger to get there!

I&O was fine, but always looking to try something new and local.

thanks for the heads up!

Sycamore

Last edited by Sycamore; 11/12/13.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finally tried one, excellent bread, but overall chain joint sub, I'll go back to Quizno's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right. As I mentioned in an earlier post, restaurant owners not in larger cities have a tough time finding decent bread.

Sycamore and others in the area, if you want a good fast meal in St. George, try Apollo Burger on the east side. It's not really a sub shop, more about burgers and related stuff. I've met Jimmy, the owner, and he's a real pro at the business. It's a small family owned chain of about a dozen stores out of SLC. Greeks, with a few Greek items along with the burgers and such. Good fresh food made and served by staff that's on the ball.

Paul

Paul,

OK, got it right this weekend, tried Apollo had the burger, fine, but wished I had the Reuben or the Gyro (what my pards had, looked good). Hit Sportsmans, primers but almost no powder, missed Dixie Gun and Fish (or is it Fish and Gun?)

On the way out of town had a Smashburger, right across the street from Apollo, pretty good burger, great milkshake.
Then large coffee at Starbucks next door for the 270 mile ride home.

Sycamore

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good sandwiches but you have to stand on their toes to KEEP THE MAYONAISE OFF! I don't mind some horseradish sauce but mayo is OUT!!!

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by EdM
Best sandwich chain there is.

Nope, Firehouse Subs! Best subs ever.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I like JJ and I think the real mayo is a big reason it's so good. A few months ago I went to a JJ in a upscale area and they wanted to charge me extra for cheese. I would have walked out, but I was starving.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That's like charging for extra meat. A self-respecting sandwich should have plenty of meat and other key ingredients.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Chain delis really are not great

This is more like it a real Italian Deli
http://pinosdeli.com/id1.html

As far as chain deli's DiBella,s is the best though not nation wide yet
http://www.dibellas.com/default.asp

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have tried them both, I'll opt for Subway every time.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have never found a chain sandwich that I like. The only sandwich places worth walking across the street for are Geno's or Pat's in Philly.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 22 invisible), 1,676 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,121
Posts18,483,658
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.