Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Seasons44
I think this is a great explanation about thumb position

http://sheriffjimwilson.com/2011/03/15/video-sheriff-tip-the-thumbs-have-it/

Makes perfect sense,none of the Gamesman mentality.
Just good PRACTICAL advice.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Left thumb forward beside my right thumb, bad guy takes it away. Left thumb 1/2" over and bad guy doesn't get my gun?

"Both thumbs forward allows you to shoot more accurately and gives you a more secure grip.......Don't do it like that."

I can't wait til I'm old and famous. Then I can say stuff that doesn't make sense and people will eat it up.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Left thumb forward beside my right thumb, bad guy takes it away. Left thumb 1/2" over and bad guy doesn't get my gun?

"Both thumbs forward allows you to shoot more accurately and gives you a more secure grip.......Don't do it like that."

I can't wait til I'm old and famous. Then I can say stuff that doesn't make sense and people will eat it up.

And what is your take about his thoughts on shooting a revolver that way?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think that if you put your thumb over the outlet for an explosion it's gonna get hurt. That's no secret.

I also think that ignoring an "accurate and more secure grip" because you're worried about the possibility of a finger injury in a gunfight that has gone so bad that I'm grabbing unknown guns off of fallen comrades, is ludicrous.

The "battlefield pickup" scenario for civilians is, to me, the epitomy of mental masturbation. The proponents of that scenario consistently fail to acknowledge the astronomically slim chances it would ever occur and I've taken to ignoring most anything else they say, as it's honestly very hard for me to take their ability to think critically very seriously at all.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I dont think that Battle field Pickup is all there is to it,
Many have both revolver and semi-auto handguns.
In fact many carry both at the same time.
I think that even saying that both thumbs forward is a more secure grip is a stretch even though many gamesmen say so.
I take it by the way that you say you cant "wait till you are old and famous then you can say stuff that doesn,t make sense and people will eat it up" that you are young.
And who would have thought that you would aspire to be famous ,what with the Tom Cruise Avatar and all.!
Anyway just because someone older with more experience than you has a different take on how to hold a handgun doesn,t mean that they are not thinking critically.
Perhaps ,just maybe,naw no way it might be you that are not thinking critically ? LOL

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I already am old. I just can't wait until I'm old and famous.

I didn't say it was more secure. Sheriff Jim Wilson did, so you can take that to the bank. Don't doubt or question anything he says, he's older and has more experience.....remember?

I don't know who Tom Cruise is, but don't make fun of the way I look in my avatar. It's not nice.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You are right.
Its not nice to make fun of the way you look in your avatar.
Good responce.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gitem_12
What about this

[Linked Image]

this is the correct way to hold it. A fact because they come out of the box that way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's hilarious jimmyp.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I could go on about that joke but best left the origins unsaid.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You will never find a shortage of people who tell you you're doing something/everything wrong on the internet. I used to try following the "experts", and it made things worse. If what you're doing works to your satisfaction, then by all means do it that way as long as it's safe. Many, many guns have provision for the "finger forward" grip, so it's not just a flash in the pan.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I wonder how many people Sherriff Jim Wilson has arrested?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Maverick approves this message.
[Linked Image]

Instant boner.

Thanks.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by deflave
I wonder how many people Sherriff Jim Wilson has arrested?

Travis

http://sheriffjimwilson.com/about-2/
Dont know but there is a contact here if you want to ask him.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's what I love about the internet, any dummy with a PC can puff his chest out and proclaim himself better than anyone.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I think that if you put your thumb over the outlet for an explosion it's gonna get hurt. That's no secret.

I also think that ignoring an "accurate and more secure grip" because you're worried about the possibility of a finger injury in a gunfight that has gone so bad that I'm grabbing unknown guns off of fallen comrades, is ludicrous.

The "battlefield pickup" scenario for civilians is, to me, the epitomy of mental masturbation. The proponents of that scenario consistently fail to acknowledge the astronomically slim chances it would ever occur and I've taken to ignoring most anything else they say, as it's honestly very hard for me to take their ability to think critically very seriously at all.

I didn't post the video up, for the concept of battle field pick up, I brought it up in regards to muscle memory, many of us shoot alot of revolvers along with a hand full of semi's and need to keep a grip which is versatile.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer the left finger on the front of the trigger guard for a few reasons.

My left elbow feels stressed with the forward wrist "cam" that Brian Enos describes in his book. I have tried that grip on and off for 20 years and it has never worked for my physiology.

When shooting heavy recoiling revolvers the left index finger helps keep the muzzle down.

Here is an interesting video showing the grip Jerry Miculek is currently using.

It seems the majority of shooters are well suited to the finger under trigger guard but as Jerry recently switched to a finger in front style it does give food for thought.

Battle field pick up scenarios are just a bonus. laugh laugh

As a side note Ross S was the only guy I ever saw that could shoot a 1911 well and used a crossed thumb style. He disengaged the thumb safety right when he gripped the pistol and during the draw dropped the right thumb off the safety and crossed it with his left thumb.

Crossed thumbs is also a byproduct of heavy recoil as it is pretty hard to keep your hands together if the handgun has a lot of recoil velocity without locking the thumbs.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
John how would the left finger help keep a muzzle down on a heavy recoiling revolver? I am looking at my Bisley now and with the curved front I cannot imagine my finger even staying on the trigger guard, let alone helping with recoil.

I can also see some merit with a bowed and checkered triggerguard like a Glock but I run lights anyway so it becomes a moot point.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
With a heavy recoiling gun, it's doubtful the finger forward would remain in place. with a semi-auto, it's different. I've used both styles. Neither seems to offer a significant advantage over the other that can be measured by the human eye in normal time.

With my heavy recoiling revolvers, my off hand is merely there for support. I don't even try to make a concerted effort to keep the support hand in contact with the shooting hand during recoil. I let the hand holding the gun jump. The other hand can go along for the ride if it wants to.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I prefer the left finger on the front of the trigger guard for a few reasons.

My left elbow feels stressed with the forward wrist "cam" that Brian Enos describes in his book. I have tried that grip on and off for 20 years and it has never worked for my physiology.

When shooting heavy recoiling revolvers the left index finger helps keep the muzzle down.

Here is an interesting video showing the grip Jerry Miculek is currently using.

It seems the majority of shooters are well suited to the finger under trigger guard but as Jerry recently switched to a finger in front style it does give food for thought.

Battle field pick up scenarios are just a bonus. laugh laugh

As a side note Ross S was the only guy I ever saw that could shoot a 1911 well and used a crossed thumb style. He disengaged the thumb safety right when he gripped the pistol and during the draw dropped the right thumb off the safety and crossed it with his left thumb.

Crossed thumbs is also a byproduct of heavy recoil as it is pretty hard to keep your hands together if the handgun has a lot of recoil velocity without locking the thumbs.

Interesting.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1badf350, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,951
Posts18,519,264
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.