Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Interesting news article today. Of the 76 allied airmen to escape only 3 made it back to England. Another 23 were sent back to prison and 50 were executed by direct order from Hitler, many of them Canadians.
Despite Steve McQueen's great ride, no Americans were actually held in Stallag Luft 3.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
One of our neighbors in England was one of those 23 sent back to prison...old Tom was a crazy old bastard....

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
As usual, Hollywood got most of the facts wrong, but we expect that. The lonk below gives some of the interesting facts about the real deal.

The Great Escape - in reality

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by the_shootist
As usual, Hollywood got most of the facts wrong, but we expect that. The lonk below gives some of the interesting facts about the real deal.

Still ranks as one of my favorite movies.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Seafire
One of our neighbors in England was one of those 23 sent back to prison...old Tom was a crazy old bastard....

Looks like Tom was one of the lucky ones. Maybe he was crazy like a fox.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tangozulu;
Thanks for the reminder sir, I'd not likely have stumbled across it on my own today.

Hopefully this finds you and yours well this cool spring morning too tango.

On the original topic I can't somehow make sense this morning of the fact that it was 70 years ago now. Growing up I knew so many veterans - some in my immediate family as I've mentioned here previously - and now of course most are gone.

My hope and prayer this morning is that our children's generation don't forget or better said underestimate the struggle our parent's generation put forth for our present freedoms. Hopefully that made sense?

Anyway sir, thanks again for the reminder and thanks to Brother Keith for the educational link. Have a good week tango.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by n007; 03/25/14.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by tangozulu
Interesting news article today. Of the 76 allied airmen to escape only 3 made it back to England. Another 23 were sent back to prison and 50 were executed by direct order from Hitler, many of them Canadians.
Despite Steve McQueen's great ride, no Americans were actually held in Stallag Luft 3.

My hat is off to those young men, who fought, even though they were prisoners. They displayed the grit that young men should have, be they Canadian, English or American.

May God bless and keep them.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ever watch Chicken Run? Steve McQueen in feathers.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal
tangozulu;
Thanks for the reminder sir, I'd not likely have stumbled across it on my own today.

Hopefully this finds you and yours well this cool spring morning too tango.

On the original topic I can't somehow make sense this morning of the fact that it was 70 years ago now. Growing up I knew so many veterans - some in my immediate family as I've mentioned here previously - and now of course most are gone.

My hope and prayer this morning is that our children's generation don't forget or better

said underestimate the struggle our parent's generation put forth for our present freedoms. Hopefully that made sense?

Anyway sir, thanks again for the reminder and thanks to Brother Keith for the educational link. Have a good week tango.

Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne,
On my bucket list is to take my 2 daughters to France , including Juneau Beach and especially to that piece of Canada over there called Vimy Ridge. I want to wait a few years untill they can understand how lucky we are today and how previous generation have always stepped up when evil needed confronting.
It is imprtant that we never forget that freedom is not free and that Canada has never denied the call.
I saw a comparison of Canadas ww1 lives lost as 62500 killed. Today that would be the eqivelent of 250000. Really puts things into perspective.
As a bit of a news junky
I find it very odd that I have seen no mention anywhere that WW1 began in 1914, 100 years ago this year.
Best Regards to you and family,
tango

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

j

Ever watch Chicken Run? Steve McQueen in feathers.

Now that I think back your absolutely correct.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Seafire

Looks like Tom was one of the lucky ones. Maybe he was crazy like a fox.

Tom was something else... his relationship with his wife, we use to think that the comic strip "Andy Capp" was based on Tom and Ella...

Tom was captured at Dunkirk in 1940, when he ran back to help a 'mate' whom had been hit... he was running and helping a wounded man, along with several other soldiers, when he realized that they were Germans....

Tom was involved in 17 escape attempts, and was rotated to a batch of different POW camps during the war.. he said the one reason he was never taken out and shot by the Germans... " was the Gerrys loved me, because I was a Scotsman and hated the English... plus they loved me good nature...." He was freed by Allied soldiers in April 1945...

his daughter was married to Peter Cook, who was part of the comedy team Peter Cook and Dudley Moore...I got to meet Dudley Moore at a Christmas Party at Tom's Home back in 1964...Dudley Moore was hilarious and very personable... but what I remember also, at 12 years old, I was a little taller than Dudley Moore was....

and yes, I LOVE CHICKEN RUN.... got the video when my son was much younger.. but we still enjoy watching it...shows the British sense of humor...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
just a bit of trivia, I was surprised to learn that McQueen used a Triumph 655T for the movie, I owned an old Triumph 500 for a few years.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (22kHornet, 25aught6, 222ND, 10Glocks, 160user, 257Bob, 64 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,379
Posts18,527,486
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.