Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I suppose most of you saw the link posted in the camp-fire forum. I checked out some more on You-tube.

I make NO pretense to understanding all that is going on in the Ukraine, I am trying to read more and truly understand it but I am still wondering what the full truth is. I suspect that the folks fighting for reform in the city streets of Kiev are in fact good folks wanting a better life and some semblance of justice.

I bring it up in the forum because I am wondering if y'all had the same reaction I did. Besides a sense of sorrow for those poor folks getting shot down one after another...

My reaction was to go out and buy ALL the 308 I can afford or get my hands on. When society melts down and it is a real slug fest with serious mean savages I think I want to penetrate trees, logs and walls.

Just a thought, for entertainment purposes only...

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Found it.

Last edited by CBMJR; 03/25/14.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are protesting the wrong way. Hope it never gets that bad here. The gov't would really be in a tight spot.

Last edited by CBMJR; 03/25/14.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Be sure to get a decent NV scope as well.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My reaction was something I read in The Art of War, by Sun Tzu.

Never pit your weakness against your enemy's strength.

When facing a superior force,

- when your enemy attack, retreat.

- When your enemy rests, attack.

- Learn your enemies weakness. Apply your strengths to your enemy's weakness.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Going up against snipers, while armed with tin shields and bright colored plastic hardhats, is a bad idea.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I bought a used paperback edition of Clauswhitz (or however you spell it) last year and waded through most of it. That got me interested so I bought that series of lectures on strategery by the Learning Company done by that professor at the Naval War College. That was fascinating. And that guy mentioned Thucydides so I bought those lectures and read up on that.... Just fascinating stuff.

But on another note...

I am wondering what the full conclusion was after the Fallujah fist fight; as concerns small arms and tactics. Do you have any links or books you have come across?

A fellow at work, (old marine) loaned me a book on the Chechyn (sp?) tactics and strategies first and second fist fight and the changes for the Russian tactics on the 2nd go round. Pretty interesting stuff.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Every combatant that is against you in a scenario, will have gun/ammo.....

But spending your money on all ammo and not on food, seed, water sources, generators, solar panels and the like.... not smart at all.

Diversity, just like in investments.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
And survival favors avoiding any type of decisive engagement against a superior force.

I don't have any references for Fallujah lessons learned.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
anyone know why the Russian's were shooting these people?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's not even agreed if they were Russians.
The Russian's claim that it was Ukrainian police snipers, and the Ukranians say it was Russian spec ops trying to terrorize everyone.
The dead were a mix of protestors who hated the now deposed Russian backed president of Ukraine, Ukrainian police (who were holding off the protestors), and random people walking around; a combination that doesn't make much sense.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Reaction/opinion?

We need to mind our own business. We have no shortage of very serious problems here in the United States. Not one of those people over there is worth one single young service man's life and I do not want to see us dragged into another war.

I have no problem fighting for my country, but fighting for un-appreciative foreigners gets old.

If you want to stock up on ammo, go for it. That being said, I agree with Rost.

Having the ability to filter water, feed my family for months with what I have in the home, and have medical supplies on hand are a bigger priority to me over having 20k rounds of .308.

This reminds me that we are due to stock back up in our pantry. Kind of fell behind. This morning though I am loading 145 grain wadcutters for my .38s. They make a great small game round and the easy recoil makes practicing with a J Frame snubbed much more tolerable.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What Mackay said.

We need to consolidate our forces and recover from the last few years. Europe wants to present an invasion of the Ukraine, please do so.

This year's tax return is going to cover more basics:

Food, Water, Shelter.

I'm sure I have enough guns and ammo at this point.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Amen, water, food, shelter and friends. No man is an island where I live.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
A long time ago I started gathering things, then I realized I needed a way to carry it all so I got a few packs. Then I started gearing up for extended camping trips. Then I started getting in better shape so now I run 5&10k's. I have plenty to last here at home for a spell but if I need to evacuate, I have the means to do so.

Gonna be tough for a lot of the fat guys I see stocking up on guns and ammo to carry all of it if need be. Just saying there's more to being self sufficient than buying an AR,a case of ammo and a survival knife. wink

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TWR
A long time ago I started gathering things, then I realized I needed a way to carry it all so I got a few packs. Then I started gearing up for extended camping trips. Then I started getting in better shape so now I run 5&10k's. I have plenty to last here at home for a spell but if I need to evacuate, I have the means to do so.

Gonna be tough for a lot of the fat guys I see stocking up on guns and ammo to carry all of it if need be. Just saying there's more to being self sufficient than buying an AR,a case of ammo and a survival knife. wink

I have been doing almost the exact same thing, except I don't do the extended runs anymore. I lift as heavy of weights as I can for ten rep sets and then I wander up and down the mountain near here to get conditioned.

I went to the 1000 yard range about six months ago with all the gun loonies in my neighborhood to get some data book dope on some rifles and I was really frustrated and shocked at how long it took me to gather up all the optics, ammunition and rifles. I bought a cargo frame back pack from Cabela's and I am going to fabricate some holders for it to carry all the kit.

Call me a tinfoil hat nutcase but I feel some sort of compelling duty to be minute man ready for bad things. The sad fact of the matter is that the conservative folks who are doing practical things to defend hearth and home are fractured. The founders were a tight knit and drilled community of friends and family. Edwin Vieira talks a great deal about this in one of his latest books on the militia:

http://www.amazon.com/Constitutional-Homeland-Security-Nation-Arms/dp/0967175925

Last edited by Robert_White; 03/31/14.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Americans are supposed to be ready....

" Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, That each and every free able-bodied white male citizen of the respective States, resident therein, who is or shall be of age of eighteen years, and under the age of forty-five years (except as is herein after excepted) shall severally and respectively be enrolled in the militia, by the Captain or Commanding Officer of the company, within whose bounds such citizen shall reside, and that within twelve months after the passing of this Act."

Standing order #2

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds powder and ball, and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
How do you tell the good guys from the bad guys in a civil war?
Note to self forget the bicycle helmet and cookie sheet.
Stock up on toilet paper, When the going gets tough the tough start going.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,685
Posts18,475,071
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.