-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'm on my second zero turn,they cost more but i'll never go back to a tractor. wore a dixon out in 7 years,had b&s motor . total junk engine,blown head gasket twice. bought a bad boy mower in 2012 ,has 26 hp kawasaki. runs great. 3600.00

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Simplicity Broadmoor that I'm happy with. I don't have the acreage that you do but I collect leaves with it during the fall and it will be 8 years old this spring.

It has an 18HP single cylinder Kohler Command.

Dan

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I have an earlier version of the same mower (20hp/46 in. cut) and I have been very satisfied. I got lucky though. My old mower crapped out with about two mowings left before frost and I intended to borrow a mower and then buy in the spring. I happened to be in the local Lowes and spotted a used mower out front. Some guy had bought it that spring and had purchased the extended warranty. He then proceeded to run over a concrete base of some sort and ruined the deck. Lowes gave him a new mower and sent the damaged mower in for repair. I wound up paying half of the new price and went home happy. Three years later it is still like new.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have my daughter's old Craftsman LT-2000.

She had it for about 10 or 12 years,i have been running it for 5.
Only replaced deck belt and blades.
I paid what she needed to get for it 400.00,worth every penny.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
speaking of mowers, my self propelled craftsman was blowing out oil as fast as I could put it in - still ran but the belt was slipping so I hit up craigslist last September and found a Honda mower for $50 a guy was selling - 5hp variable speed.

So I picked it up and this thing runs and looks brand new. I get to checking on it and the thing is over 20 years old.

Its a HR214 model. I liked it so much, I just started watching craigslist off and on and found another one for $40 at the end of the season last year. All it needed was the carb cleaned and it runs as good as the other one.

That is one heckuva mower.

Last edited by KFWA; 03/27/14.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
When we lived in Kansas there was about 4 acres to mow. I had a 60" Hustler zero turn and it was a beast. Built like a tank. I bought it with the house and it was already 7 or 8 years old. Made mowing fun.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've had a JD 160 manual trans mower since 1988 when I bought it. Aside from belts, blades and a few batteries, still going strong. Kawasaki motor. I've always had a concern about the small hydrostatic units. In the big stuff, there is adequate cooling, but a small fan or whatever doesn't mean long life. I'm older and wish it had power steering now, but I pump the front tires up hard and it's better! I do need a new seat though.....

Oh, I now about 1 1/2 acres, a little hilly, but not too bad. Lots of gardens my wife puts out to mow around...

Last edited by WayneShaw; 03/27/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a simplicity, IMO they mow the nicest (free float deck) and are bomb proof. If I was you i'd find a year or 2 old simplicity Broadmoor and not think about a tractor again for 20 to life.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i'm on my second zero turn,they cost more but i'll never go back to a tractor. wore a dixon out in 7 years,had b&s motor . total junk engine,blown head gasket twice. bought a bad boy mower in 2012 ,has 26 hp kawasaki. runs great. 3600.00

Been mowing an acre or so with a 30in Dixon since 94. Two tranny rebuilds but you can't get those parts any longer. The 11hp Briggs IC's head bolts have never been touched.

Two years ago I found a two yo 42in Hustler with a bad engine (a HONDA!) for $800. I spent $1400 for a new 19hp Kawasaki. That thing is awesome.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Nothing runs like a deere

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

True enough. Having worked for that company for many years (large tractors) I can say the theme running through our company is "Quality", for all divisions.

Do the dealers for all Deere products

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Timberlake

True enough. Having worked for that company for many years (large tractors) I can say the theme running through our company is "Quality", for all divisions.

The "box store" Deeres suck balls, like all other box store mowers. The 4K "lawn tractors" are obselete. No lawn service uses them, they use Hustlers, or Skaggs, or Dixie Choppers, or their equivalent.

The ONLY reason for buying one of the 5K Deeres is you have several acres, a big chunk of which is too steep for a zero-turn.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DesertSandman
EPA APPROVED green machine (ladies version shown)
Zero emissions
No gas to buy or mix
No spark plugs to foul & change

[Linked Image]

My dog pen is bigger than that yard

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bought the same one two years ago. Couldn't be happier! 2 year warranty too.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Timberlake

I question tha quality of deere lately my moms 165 fron the 80s is still running. That mower has done their 1.5 acre lawn plus 2 rental property's and the church lawn when it's there turn. The old 165 still fires right up.. They have a new jd and it doesn't sim to be built as well. I'm running an old 265 myself

Last edited by rainierrifleco; 03/27/14.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
You'll be happy with that mower for the size lawn you have. I believe they are the same as the Craftman versions with similar specs. I have a Craftsmen 54" with a kohler engine that has over 400 hours on it. The only issues I have with mine are deck service related - but I have 3.5 acres with rocks that find it more often than I'd like and I mow and another 4-6 acres 2 or 3x per year behind mine as well. Part are easy to get and it's easy to work on.

Happy mowing.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a riding mower from Montana.

[Linked Image]

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Here's a riding mower from Montana.

[Linked Image]

I gave my Velcro gloves to deflave I got me a hottie and sheep are really a single man thing.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.”
― Mark Twain
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Buy by the pound.

This.

If you are diligent about air & fuel filter maintenance, oil changes, and keeping the cooling fins/housing clean, almost any of the motors will outlast the frames. So look at everything that surrounds the motor.

The rest comes down to who will be operating/maintaining the thing. If the person who's parting with thousands of $ is the one in the seat, they tend to last much, MUCH longer. If it's their offspring, or a hired hand� not so much. In other words, an owner-operator can get by with a less expensive machine.

For mowing, I'd suggest a zero turn all day, every day.

Just my observations.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (260madman, 1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 64 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,171
Posts18,503,187
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.