Print Thread
Hop To
Brent Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hiya,
<br>
<br>It seems there are different critters hunted in different parts of NA.. but I don't see much mention of ruffed grouse... That is the sought after variety of upland bird around these parts, mainly because they're such good eatin'.
<br>
<br>So, if you hunt ruffed... what equipment do you use? Here shotguns of assorted variety are most popular, but lots of folks use .22's (the goal is usually a head-shot on a sitting bird). I get the impression that using a .22 isn't considered sporting in some parts, but I would say that it's considered completely acceptable around here. Of course the danger is that a quiet bird flushes close to you and you just watch it fly away. It has always seemed that I have the wrong gun in my hand - if I have shotgun, they flush when you're too far away (even if you see them), and if I have .22 they're in the thick and flush before you know they're there. I just bought a savage 24 in .22LR/20ga that I'm hoping will be the perfect "chicken gun".
<br>
<br>so... any thoughts??
<br>
<br>Brent

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You bet I hunt ruffed grouse. I am retired so I spend a lot of time in woods here in northern MN. In fact grouse hunting makes up most of my hunting. I use to hunt Woodcock but their numbers are down so bad that I can't bring myself to shoot at one. Well, maybe once a year. I also hunt Pheasants in southwest MN.
<br> As far equipment, I use a Beretta Utra-light ( 6 lbs loaded ), light weight boots. As far as shooting them out of trees. The jury is still out on that one. I will! If the dog is flushes them & does everything but point his paw at it & how can I not. Just me & the dog know for sure how I shot them! I don't ground shoot!
<br> The season starts Sept. 14 & I am ready! The numbers are suppose to be down. But a person can always find a hot spot or 2.
<br> I would consider taking someone from this board on a hunt.
<br>

Brent Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hiya,
<br>
<br>How north do you consider "northern" MN? I'm in Manitoba, and spend time near the MN/MB border... not far from Warroad & Rosseau... and the NW angle.
<br>
<br>It's been really poor groussin' for the last couple years. Too many foxes I think. Still I'm never disappointed by going for a long walk in the woods.
<br>
<br>Brent

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I live near Grand Rapids in north central Minnesota. Dito on that enjoying walking in the woods. Grouse go on a 8 or 10 year cycle. We are in the down cyle now!

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Brent,
<br>
<br>I have had a passion for hunting ruffed grouse for about 44 years now. I use three weeks of vacation for that pursuit every fall. 99% of the time you will find me using a 20ga. I have shot a Rem870 20ga with a skeet barrel since 1974 and I also have a matching 12ga that I use on occasion. I prefer to use #8 shot and I load Lawrence brand Magnum shot for all my loads. I have two Brits I hunt with, an eleven year old male and a two year old female.
<br>
<br>Good Hunting,
<br>George

Good Shooting,

George
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ruffed Grouse...the king of game birds...
<br>
<br>Here in Alaska the cycle is very low as with the sharptails......I will not bother them during this period. I have two camps in Northern MN ....North of Troskie...but understand that hunting will not be good this Fall.....
<br>
<br>I use a Winchester 42 410 with solid rib....I don't shoot on the set.
<br>
<br>

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brent
<br>I'm an avid grouse hunter. I grew up in Wisc. and hunted around Antigo, Neceeda,Stevens Point and now my family has all moved to the Hayward area and I go back every couple of years for grouse season. I lived in Minn. from 73-84 hunted ruffs and sharptials in the Roseau area and ruffs around Orr, Detriot Lakes and Thief River Falls. I'm in Wash. now and it's a learning period to find the right cover out here, there seem to to be alot of birds though.
<br>Favorite guns, SKB 100 12ga, Browning OU 20ga, Rem 870 Expres youth turkey gun 20ga all in IC & MOD.
<br>Favorite dogs, grew up shooting over my dads GSP's and Brit's I prefer flushing dogs used to have a great yellow Lab and now my best dog ever an American Water Spaniel a great nose, will bark roosting grouse in the pine replants although the dark colour makes her hard to see so i have flouresent rags that I tie to her collar. She's 9 yrs old and I have started to look for a English Cocker.
<br>I have yet to decide which is the best sound in the world, spring drumming or the roaring flush of a grouse but I know they both stir something in me.
<br>
<br>erich
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Brent Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
nice post, thanks! You nailed it about the noises. They're so distinct, that even if you go for a couple years without hearing it, when you do hear one take to the wing close by, the brain knows immediately what the noise is.
<br>
<br>Brent

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
Brent,
<br>
<br>I live in central NY. About 25 yrs. ago my friends and I used to run Beagles all the time and 'patridge were all over the place.
<br>Since then I've gone to GSP's and grouse numbers are so low that I concentrate more on ducks now. Woodcock ditto.
<br>I use my good old 12 ga. 870 Special Field for ALL my shotgunning needs.
<br>The gun just seems to be a part of me. Any idea for declining grouse numbers? I think coyotes have a lot to do with it around here and I personally wouldn't mind if 80% of them dropped dead.
<br>
<br>QTIP
<br>
<br>Soli deo gloria

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Qtip,
<br> As far as the ups & downs of the Ruffed Grouse, nobody really knows. There are a few guesses as to why but nothing proven. Here in Minnesota it is a 8 or 10 year cycle but never getting back to the high numbers of years ago. My hunting so far this season is averaging about 1 flush per hour.
<br> An interesting book to read about grouse is "The Ruffed Grouse" by Gordon Gullion. He seem to think the cycle had something to with chemical changes within aspen flower buds. The main food of grouse in some areas. Again it would be easier for you read his theories than for me to try to explain.

IC B3

I've been a Ruffed Grouse hunter off and on in MN for 30 years. I try to hunt around the Twin Cities, I've gotten a few north of Elk River, but have better luck up north -- 1-2 hours west of Duluth. There's nothing like grouse hunting for a good walk through the woods with a nice 20 gauge punctuated by a bird thundering over your head. They always fly out when you're climbing over a log or ducking under a tree and you're surrounded by branches, don't they?
<br>
<br>I started grouse hunting with a .22 rifle around Duluth when I was 8 and that was all I had. I started carrying a .22 pistol while deer hunting in the last few years because I got tired of missing out on grouse while walking to the deer stand. I've even had a few in the sights of my 30-06 over the years. I've had one chance to shoot one with a pistol -- a clean .22 shot through the head last fall.
<br>
<br>At least with a .22 there's no chance of wounding one. If I started hitting the bag limits with a .22, I might reconsider the sportsmanship of a .22, but you sure don't have a chance if you're not quiet enough to hear them walking first.

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who keep theirs" -Ben Franklin-

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 44 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,336
Posts18,506,137
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.