Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I was very happy I had my Tamron 18-270mm Di-II VC PZD lens with me today. I was going with a friend to shoot some rivers up in the mountains. There was a call for showers, which is one of my favorite times to shoot rivers because of the lower contrast and less reflections when using a circular polarizer. As we pulled up to the first area it began to rain. Not too hard but enough to be careful when shooting. I wanted to shoot some of the wider shots to show the whole scene, but I also wanted to focus on some of the details in the river. I didn�t want to have to walk back to the car to change lenses, so the Tamron 18-270mm Di-II VC PZD lens was the perfect choice. I was able to shoot without worrying about rain getting in the camera while taking off the lens.

Currently through the end of the month there is a $50 rebate on the lens. With the price reduction Tamron did last year, the rebate brings the lens to an incredible price and makes it a must have in my book. Give Joel a call up at Camera Land and get yours ordered before the end of the month!

All the photos below were made using the Tamron 18-270mm Di-II VC PZD lens on a Canon 7D. The focal length selected on the lens barrel is listed above each image. For the Canon, a conversion factor of 1.6x would need to be added to find the comparable lens length in 35mm terms.

@18mm
[Linked Image]

@35mm
[Linked Image]

@70mm
[Linked Image]

@100mm
[Linked Image]

@200mm
[Linked Image]

@270mm
[Linked Image]

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was almost sold on that as it is impressive... but you used a Canon ;-)... What happened to the D800?

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I still have all my Nikons! I have a few projects that required me to use a Canon. The D-800 is incredible! I have been impressed by your recent images with it! I was going to comment on one of your post about the clarity!

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
What's with the Canon hate? wink

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Ooops, double post..I think you Canon did a fine job, just sayin smile

Last edited by jasontx; 03/29/14.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No Canon hate.. I just know he had recently purchased a D800 is all...

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Jasontx,
I know you said it "tongue in cheek", but it is interesting the comments I get from folks I shoot with or sometimes people who will see a post. I get stuff like "glad to see you finally came to your senses", "welcome to the dark side" and such. I have always said there are a couple of reasons to choose a camera system, first you should see if the accessories will meet your needs, if you have been shooting that system and the menus make sense to you, stick with it, but most of all if the camera feels good in your hands that is what you should buy. Technology is so close in all the systems now-a-days you almost can't go wrong with buying into a system.
That being said, it has been tricky as hell turning the camera on and off! I find myself trying to turn the switch near the shutter release only to realize it is on the back! My belief is it is more important to put the right glass on the front to achieve great images anyway!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Much of that is true...

I was very close to switching over to canon about 6 months ago. The are a few bodies that temp me. Also the new lens and the weight are hard to overlook. I hike A LOT with my gear. However, I am pretty vested in Nikon. The D800 and the sensor Nikon uses, saved me for Nikon. 36 MP is hard to pass up or overlook. You can 100% crop and still have usable images if your image is sharp from the jump. IF they can bump the frame rate up. I doubt I'll switch as the 500mm lens from nikon and 36 MP frame rate at about 8-10 would be too much.

In the end the top dogs all produce Outstanding images. Pretty much anyone can with good foundation and technique.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Yes, it was all tongue in cheek because I shot Nikon for years. Waay back when Nikon glass was more expensive than Canon and was part of the reason I switched. My my have times changed. I've been saving for a LONG time to purchase a 500mm f/4IS and right about the time I got close, Canon comes out with a new version that costs $11,000!! I have NO brand loyalty what soever but I pretty much stick with Canon because I know the "operating system" One of the guys I go shoot with sometimes is a died-in-the-wool Nikon guy and he gets some Amazing shots Sometimes, mine are better, sometimes his are, I don't think one is better than the other in ALL categories but is different aspects, each has it's strengths. I'd be perfectly happy with a nikon system. It's all about the photographer and his "techniques" in my book.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I hear ya.. Initially cost was the factor that took me to Nikon. I need a 500mm.. The size, weight, quality and price Nikon wins on the 500mm...11,000 is plain crazy... I have my 500mm for 6900... it was a 3.5 year old used one but I have my 500mm. As you can see the quality is there.

Just about any camera can take an amazing photo the operator is the key. One of my best photo's was taken with a Nikon "kit" that cost a mere fraction of the stuff I use now.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
You are so right, it is the operator that will really make the difference. Knowing the system is a key too. Being comfortable with it to handle tough situations makes it fun! I really enjoy seeing the great photos that folks post on the forum. There are some incredible shooters here!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,561
Posts18,473,147
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.