Print Thread
Hop To
B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Couple years ago I got a Ruger 77/22 mag and threw on a $69 Tasco 6-24X (Mag IV?)I kept as a dedicated stopgap scope. Got tired of not being able to make out targets at 50 yards in the shade in the middle of the day.

I have some pretty good glass on all my other rifles and decided last year I need a dedicated scope for this one. Quite a few years ago, I had acquired a used Simmons WTC with a used rifle. Seemed like a very bright, decent, economical scope for the money, but getting it zeroed was a nightmare as the adjustments were all over the map. I chalked it up to possibly being abused before I got it and long ago sold it.

Anyway, having no illusions of grandeur, a year or so ago I took the plunge and bought a new $99 Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20X50mm. I was disappointed that they apparently don't come with the "Pebble Granite Finish" anymore. Shortly after removing the new scope from the box, the parallax adjustment ring fell off. Looks like some epoxy let loose. No biggie. smile

I'd had a Tasco Titan scope many years ago with a "lifetime warranty" that got ridiculous in my paying both a fee and postage both ways to have it repaired/replaced (twice), so I'm not even going to entertain that thought. Instead I'm merely looking at it as an inexpensive learning experience and a fun experiment. If it works, great. If not, oh well.

With that said, I have two questions:

1.) Looks like it will be a simple job to glue it back on, what epoxy/compound would you suggest? (Aluminum to aluminum.)

[Linked Image]

AND

2.) Twisting the parallax adjustment from lock to lock, there is a little wriggle room on how far left or right I can affix the ring relative to the index pointer. Now, bearing in mind that I'll probably never shoot much over 100 yards anyway, and probably at nothing more dangerous than a rabid skunk wink ... IF you HAD to choose one or the other, and assuming the spacing of the lines on the parallax ring were accurate to start with, would it be more accurate to zero the parallax ring and pointer to correspond at 30 feet, or 300 yards?

I'll probably end up checking it both ways, but I noticed the index lines are spaced closer together at the high end of the adjustment range (near infinity), and further apart at the close distances (like 30'), so I'm thinking it would be more accurate at the close end. Thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any good 2 part Epoxy will work if you clean the mating surfaces with acetone.

Why do you keep buying junk scopes. It's like divorcing your wife to marry your mother in law.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would use the most flammable epoxy you can find. So after you glue it, you can light it on fire......

B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Why do you keep buying junk scopes. It's like divorcing your wife to marry your mother in law.

Lol, It's a long story. The Tasco Titan was years ago, like 15, supposed to be a whole 'nother breed from normal Tascos. It actually was a pretty good scope. But a few hundred 12 guage slugs and a few hundred .338's eventually took their toll. After paying $20? plus postage both w�ys, they sent me another. Second one clearly was inferior out of the box. Within the first couple shots, a crosshair broke. Paid all the fees again, got a third one, mounted it unfired on a trade rifle and swore off Tascos.

Like I said, the first WTC came on a trade. It also left on a trade.

The ultra cheap Tasco Mag IV came after I had no money to put a scope on a new .22, and decided what I needed was a cheap, stopgap scope to use as a fill-in while saving for a real scope. I was tired of always pulling a scope off something else and rezeroing. I recently threw it in the trash.

This last Simmons WTC was me having almost no money after spending a bunch on guns, ammo, and scopes just after the 2012 election. Thought maybe Simmons might have improved and figured for $100, I'd give them another chance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cheap scopes are expensive....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Weaver Classic, Redfield, VX-1, all excellent values that stay together and won't break the bank. Anything less is a waste of time and money......

B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yep, and yep. I have a VX-1 or nicer on all the rest of them, just thought I'd give the Simmons WTC another shot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,316
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.