Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ok,the new job has me working from home. I have almost everything that I need to make a decent home office. One thing that I'm lacking is a phone.

I'm wanting to set up a VOIP phone in there but I need to be able to use a headset with it, and preferably a wireless headset at that.

Do any of you guys have a set up like that in your office? If so, what phone do you like and what headset do you like?

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
GB1

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I remember the first day I cognitively walked outside my office unbeknownst of the new technology. Saw folks talking to themselves with waving arm motions,cussing and other body languages working in sync.

Freaked the ever loving schit out of me since I had left my AR15 Zombie vaporizer in my truck.

WhyTF do you need that Bluetooth stuff when you're just working at home?

Your better question is how is the best way to write off my home office without red flagging my returns.

Walking around the house and neighborhood with a phone sex toy in your ear is for young,inexperienced BMW 300 series yuppies.

Seasoned pros give the clients the attention they deserve and exert the energy to pick up the damn phone and talk in privacy,not at the day care center or mall.

Ear [bleep] are for rookie wannabes, not professionals.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by isaac

That could explain the permanent crick in your neck at 30 degrees, from cradling a landline handset to your ear while you're taking notes on a yellow pad with a No. 2 pencil.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I remember the first day I cognitively walked outside my office unbeknownst of the new technology. Saw folks talking to themselves with waving arm motions,cussing and other body languages working in sync.

Freaked the ever loving schit out of me since I had left my AR15 Zombie vaporizer in my truck.

WhyTF do you need that Bluetooth stuff when you're just working at home?

Your better question is how is the best way to write off my home office without red flagging my returns.

Walking around the house and neighborhood with a phone sex toy in your ear is for young,inexperienced BMW 300 series yuppies.

Seasoned pros give the clients the attention they deserve and exert the energy to pick up the damn phone and talk in privacy,not at the day care center or mall.

I would agree, but keep in mind, my job requires me to talk and type at the same time... grin

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the stuff that works everytime and that isn't the newest technology. Keep it simple and keep your costs down. Voip may make sense it should keep your long distance cost down. If you can't justify it that simply you probably don't need it. Costs kill small businesses.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm even wondering if I need an actual phone even?

With VOIP, since it's via the internet, I wonder if there is good software available to make and receive calls from the computer itself, and just have the headset feed off of the computer...

again, wirelessly...

Turdlike, by default.
K
kup Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Plantronics SAVI

I like the 720 or 710 and Microsoft LYNC, love it.

And no you don't even need a phone, works with cell phones, desktops and laptops.

kup

Last edited by kup; 03/30/14.

kup
(coupe)
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
I like the stuff that works everytime and that isn't the newest technology. Keep it simple and keep your costs down. Voip may make sense it should keep your long distance cost down. If you can't justify it that simply you probably don't need it. Costs kill small businesses.

VOIP makes sense for a lot of business simply because you're already paying for the internet service. Some ISP's offer VOIP service as a part of your internet service.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do long conference calls (up to 2-3 hours, sometimes) while working on my computer. I just use a Panasonic cordless phone that has a belt clip and a jack. I plug in a compatible Panasonic earpiece with a mike. If I have to get up and retrieve something from a file or a bookcase, or just get another cup of coffee, I move can about with no problem. Bought this setup at Best Buy. You can probably find them cheaper on the net.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kup
Plantronics SAVI

I like the 720 or 710 and Microsoft LYNC, love it.

And no you don't even need a phone, works with cell phones, desktops and laptops.

kup

That's pretty impressive! Thanks!

I'm certainly going to read up on that one!

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen
I do long conference calls (up to 2-3 hours, sometimes) while working on my computer. I just use a Panasonic cordless phone that has a belt clip and a jack. I plug in a compatible Panasonic earpiece with a mike. If I have to get up and retrieve something from a file or a bookcase, or just get another cup of coffee, I move can about with no problem. Bought this setup at Best Buy. You can probably find them cheaper on the net.

That has potential as well. Thanks for the tip! I'll look around Office Depot and Best Buy and take a look at this kind of set up. It might work for what I need, or it might not, but certainly worth a look.

Turdlike, by default.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by tjm10025

That could explain the permanent crick in your neck at 30 degrees, from cradling a landline handset to your ear while you're taking notes on a yellow pad with a No. 2 pencil.

===========

27 years of it will give you that crick. I don't miss a beat though, as I would with ear toys. Even from a deer stand, my clients get one on one with no distractions in the grand scheme. I'll simply text and say I'll call you when I can give your call the attention it deserves.

They love that schit. Plus, I charge them for the text...and the next 10 minutes of processing on top of it. If they text back and say, "thank you, I appreciate your effort", then it's 10 minutes more.

I'll make 500 bucks before my sweat from walking to my stand turns cold.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Ok,the new job has me working from home. I have almost everything that I need to make a decent home office. One thing that I'm lacking is a phone.

I'm wanting to set up a VOIP phone in there but I need to be able to use a headset with it, and preferably a wireless headset at that.

Do any of you guys have a set up like that in your office? If so, what phone do you like and what headset do you like?

Yes. I don't have VOIP, but I've used several Plantronics products over the years and have settled on the CT14. Battery is long-lived and range is several hundred feet. I carry the little dial pad clipped to my shirt pocket and wear the headset. I like it alot. Would never go back to picking up a phone. Like being hands free.

Jordan

Last edited by RobJordan; 03/30/14.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tjm10025

===========

27 years of it will give you that crick. I don't miss a beat though, as I would with ear toys. Even from a deer stand, my clients get one on one with no distractions in the grand scheme. I'll simply text and say I'll call you when I can give your call the attention it deserves.

They love that schit. Plus, I charge them for the text...and the next 10 minutes of processing on top of it. If they text back and say, "thank you, I appreciate your effort", then it's 10 minutes more.

I'll make 500 bucks before my sweat from walking to my stand turns cold.

I like the way that you work! laugh

Turdlike, by default.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Whatever you do, just go grab your oyster Mark.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife works from home. Calls are placed and received through her company's managed system over the computer. She has gone through two Logitech headsets, both have broken. Cheap crap that wasn't cheap.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Quality of VoIP is lacking IMHO. I generally use a simple speaker phone or headset if I need to be mobile. I made sure my office was designed in such a way that the acoustics of a speaker phone wouldn't sound hollow or echoey. Lately I've been using my iPhone. I can do everything including setting up conference calls. A portion of my calling is international and I haven't had any problems yet. I can't dump my landline because some people still use fax machines.

Just a tip if you've never worked from home before, wear shoes. It gives you purpose.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Quality of VoIP is lacking IMHO.

what lil of it my wife has used she agrees, i think its better to have a dedicated line unless your guys' internet is a hell of alot better than what we can get up here.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I spend many hours running GoToMeeting classes online. I use the Logitech H360, and it does very well. It's a corded, behind the head outfit.

If you sit close to your wireless router, you probably will get interference with a Bluetooth connection.

With a good headset, and with good internet, you can have very high quality audio online. If your internet is not a "business grade" line, you'll experience times when your audio will just stall for a second or two, and that is very annoying. That's latency in the system. The cheap way to check it out is to use Skype for a few hours at peak traffic times. It will even let you record your voice and listen to it to check our outgoing audio quality.

I use Google Voice a lot. It's free outgoing calls, but won't work satisfactorily for most people for incoming.

Be not weary in well doing.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Want VOIP, here you go:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/

It's what I use on my work laptop. However I use a wired Plantronics headset.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

261 members (16penny, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 204guy, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,621
Posts18,474,015
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.