Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm sure the OP and daughter are right fearful of facing down a Kentucky deer without CRF to save them.

There's no way I'd get rid of a NULA to get a Kimber. Before you say anything, I'm a Kimber owner.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Originally Posted by mathman
I'm sure the OP and daughter are right fearful of facing down a Kentucky deer without CRF to save them.

There's no way I'd get rid of a NULA to get a Kimber. Before you say anything, I'm a Kimber owner.

AMEN to that.

The degree of attention my friend Melvin gives each and every rifle is incredible. ULAs and NULAs just plain shoot and they are absolutely dependable.

kd

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's been just about 20 years since whitetails started charging consistently, and desperate deer hunters feared entering the woods without a controlled-round-feed rifle.

Coincidentally, this happened just about the time Winchester started making CRF Model 70's again, and every gun magazine in America had to publish articles explaining exactly how controlled-round feeding worked. Before then most deer hunters didn't have a clue about controlled-round versus push-feed rifles, and couldn't have cared less.

Gotta have one of those Model 70 type safeties too, or you'll shoot off your big toe while climbing up and down from treestands.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I vote a .257 Roberts. I have had 2 - 25-06s and on .257.roberts. I wish I still had the Roberts.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Since people are heaving ideas at you, I'll toss a couple on the table. With that action length, you could also do 7x57 or 6.5x55.

One plus to the .257 Roberts, if loaded to std, not +P, pressure, is less wear and tear on the ears. During range day for hunter's ed, it was pretty clear the .257 was "more shootable" for the small folks than even .243, comparing the std 117 grain Rem round nose .257 with 100 grain Remington core-lokts in the .243. The rifles were identical so the only thing I can attribute it to is the lower muzzle pressure of the .257 producing less crack and blast.

Probably doesn't matter to hairy chested he-men, but when it comes to daughters having the best time possible, we sometimes have to make allowances.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found a new place to hunt and after the chuck season they cut the hay and piled some of the bales at the top of a field.

I got permission to hunt there in the rifle season and I picked out a spot for opening hour.

When I got there before dawn someone was already in my spot!

As I walked towards him he got up and started back down past me.

I asked if he was leaving and he said: "My rifle is jammed."

It was a 760.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Oh good grief. crazy

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
6.5-06 yeah baby!!!!!!!You will not need a CRF Rifle with this cartridge,if the deer see it they commit seppucu!!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I found a new place to hunt and after the chuck season they cut the hay and piled some of the bales at the top of a field.

I got permission to hunt there in the rifle season and I picked out a spot for opening hour.

It was a 760.

Which has absofrigginlutely nothing to do with the rifle actually in the conversation.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I had such a problem with charging elk on Colorado's Western slope that I got Melvin to build me an extended magazine. For sufficient penetration, I got some Speer 300 grain RN Vernon had made up for Elmer, and I could penetrate an elk bow to stern or stern to bow depending on which way he charged. Jamming and double feeding was never a problem with the NULA however, as I never tried to operate it side ways or upside down.

Here in Kentucky, squirrels charging down the hickory trees are the big issue and since I'm running out of big .338s, the reason my daughter is getting it, I'm going back to the .375 H&H for deer.

Seriously, the original question I asked turns out to be moot.Turns out my daughter is getting a Kentucky Elk license and our beloved Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources whom I worked for most of my career, has decreed that Kentucky elk won't die unless shot with at least a .270. No limit on bullet weight or cartridge length, just caliber. Bureaucrats always get blamed for these decisions, but in this case it was done by an appointed Commissioner who knows nothing about wildlife management but has been on many guided trophy big game hunts and has given money to certain political campaigns. Of course this makes him an expert in all things wildlife and habitat management.

Anyway, the NULA will be rebarreled to .270 WCF and loaded with a light but stout bullet that she can shoot well with. Oh well...

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by olblue
Keep the 338-06 and give her the .257

Doesn't surprise me a bit that a bush pilot from Alaska is the only one with enough common sense to come up with the right answer. Seems like most of the people on the fire have more money than sense, guess I shouldn't have been surprised at all. Magnum Man

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 257 Roberts is no doubt a superb cartridge. If I was going to chamber it for the 30-06 case, I would highly consider the 6.5-06. The 100gr bullets are awesome on deer, and the 160gr round nose are awesome on bigger game.

The recoil is very similar to the 25-05 in the smaller range bullets, but it would allow your daughter to hunt elk sized game with a little more confidence given the heavier bullet weights.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
KyWindage,

That's great! And it should be a wonderful time for both of you.

No doubt there will be several posts after this telling you to have Melvin rebarrel the rifle in 6mm-06, .256 Newton, .280 AI, or whatever, but the good old .270 Winchester will definitely kill elk. And it definitely responds to lighter loads for practice, which will kill elk too.

We're looking forward to a continuing report....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The 85 grain TSX loaded in the 270 does a wonderful job on game, generating little recoil when loaded to 3000-3200 fps, while retaining a flat trajectory.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman

It was a 760.

Which has absofrigginlutely nothing to do with the rifle actually in the conversation.

Yes it does and it makes a lot of sense!

The 338-06 owner suggests changing a good 338-06 barrel to make it smaller, perhaps .25".

It would make practical and economic sense to sell that good rifle and buy another for the lady.

I also commented on my view of a better design for hunting that includes a three position wing safety that controls the firing pin. The CRF is good feature that can reduce the chances of a jam.

smile

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by KyWindageII
I had such a problem with charging elk on Colorado's Western slope that I got Melvin to build me an extended magazine. For sufficient penetration, I got some Speer 300 grain RN Vernon had made up for Elmer, and I could penetrate an elk bow to stern or stern to bow depending on which way he charged. Jamming and double feeding was never a problem with the NULA however, as I never tried to operate it side ways or upside down.

Here in Kentucky, squirrels charging down the hickory trees are the big issue and since I'm running out of big .338s, the reason my daughter is getting it, I'm going back to the .375 H&H for deer.

Seriously, the original question I asked turns out to be moot.Turns out my daughter is getting a Kentucky Elk license and our beloved Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources whom I worked for most of my career, has decreed that Kentucky elk won't die unless shot with at least a .270. No limit on bullet weight or cartridge length, just caliber. Bureaucrats always get blamed for these decisions, but in this case it was done by an appointed Commissioner who knows nothing about wildlife management but has been on many guided trophy big game hunts and has given money to certain political campaigns. Of course this makes him an expert in all things wildlife and habitat management.

Anyway, the NULA will be rebarreled to .270 WCF and loaded with a light but stout bullet that she can shoot well with. Oh well...

.270 minimum??? Pffttt these guys never heard of the awesome 6.5x55 it seems oh well, at least they didn't mandate a 7x57 and leopard print camo... whistle grin

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
But WTH does a 760 jamming have to do with a NULA jamming?

How much do you shoot? I'm well over a thousand rounds in the last couple of months, primarily fired from Remington 700 rifles. I have managed to avoid shooting myself in the foot, haven't had to clear a jam, and haven't had a round fail to extract.

I suppose I should buy a lottery ticket.

S
S
Since the state has decided this for you there is no reason to recommend another caliber. I would recommend that you re barrel the NULA for several reasons. First they are great rifles. Second and most important- All the rest of her life she will be able to say " THIS WAS MY DADS RIFLE." Some day that will be very important to her and maybe even her children.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It would make practical and economic sense to sell that good rifle and buy another for the lady.

Why?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Were it me I'd opt for re-barreling the NULA because by any reasonable standard they are great rifles that always shoot well and sometimes they're exceptional. I'd go for the .257R too. I have one put together by the defunct Serengeti outfit that has tuned into a real favorite.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 2UP, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,984
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.