Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
hntnnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I made a attempt today to get my class B cdl and failed miserably. I don't do well in that sort of face to face test so I was extremely nerves. About 3-4 minutes into the test the instructor started prodding me that I wasn't completing my walk around fast enough. And by the time I got to the in-cab check and COLA test I was so flustered I started missing and forgetting things and ultimately failed the cola test
When we went back in to DMV and she was explaining the test to me she said that I did the walk around but I was being too detailed. Then out of no where she said that I wouldn't of been able to do the driving portion anyhow as the truck I was using didn't meet the minimum weight requirement. The truck I was driving is a bobtail cabover that has a curb weight of 13,000lbs and a GVWR of 33,000lbs.
I was told I needed to find a truck with a curb weight of 26,001 lbs. I can't think of a vehicle that meets that criteria and is still considered a class B vehicle. I am under the impression that I should of been able to use any vehicle that you would be required to have class B license to drive.
Is there something I'm missing? And to make matters worse up here where l live trying to find a legal truck AND someone willing to take the time to drive with me is like pulling hens teeth.

Richard

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
You showed her that you knew more than she did and like all of the power hunger SOBs she took it out on you by failing you.

I have had a few bosses and several interviews to get licenses and failed just like you did.

Try to go back and get a different interviewer for your second time around.

Good Luck to you

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ask them if you can use a loaded truck that n meets the requirements.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't get what she wanted you to do. The list is as long as my arm. We did it in house and it is a 100% compliance. Every lugnut, mirror, slack adjuster and air brake test.
Did she just want you to get in the truck and drive?
Did you go to the DMV in Bishop? If you did, maybe head a little further south if you can spare the time.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Where does it say there is a time limit involved?
Safety comes first!

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

hntnnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the replies all, norm we asked and were told that it had to be unladen weight. yes It was the bishop office and theres only one employee that gives the test.

Richard

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sounds like you took a Class A vehicle to try and get a Class B license.

By bobtail do you mean a small flat bed truck, or a tractor without a trailer (which is the proper term of bobtail)?

If your company is properly authorized by the DMV, it may test your road skills and issue you a Certificate of Driving Skill (Form DL 170 ETP). Take the certificate with you when you go for your DMV appointment, and you won't have to take a DMV road test.

Phil

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
For the inspection, you just need more practice. Keep drilling with it until it becomes second nature. You won't be as nervous because you won't even have to think about it.

As far as the vehicle, you need a straight truck with a gvwr of 26,001 lbs or more. Or better yet, find a trailer to go with that tractor and get a class A. My company has a lot of trucks. Not one class B truck has an empty weight of more than 18,000.

Too bad you have to use a tester from the DMV. In Michigan you go through a private tester, then take a certificate to the DMV for your license.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Best wishes and prayers sent your way ,I've still got my class A and drove tractor trailer for 17 years and plenty of class B before that ,I'm not up on current regs check your dept of motor vehicles to be sure ,I don't believe they will allow any type of load during the road test

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Kalfornia hates trucks ! Mostly Kalfornia hates its citizens. MOVE !

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had a class A since they invented the CDL, literally. A couple years ago, I had to retest to get the P & S endorsements. I knew how to drive and breezed through that part but I had to learn a few things about buses so I had to practice the walkaround quite a bit to get more familiar with them.

Here's the definition of a class B truck:
Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds (11,793 kg), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds (4536 kg) GVWR.
So, a tractor isn't class B. Note this specification on vehicles:

"The driving skill test must be taken in a vehicle that the driver operates or expects to operate. For certain endorsements, such as Air Brakes, the driving skills test must be taken in a vehicle equipped with such equipment."

A tractor can't be one you'll be expected to drive because you won't have a class A to drive it. You must have a B truck for the test.
Like was said before, I highly recommend you go ahead and get a class A if you can. You never know how useful it might be in the future.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1OntarioJim, 257Bob, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 55 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,911
Posts18,518,678
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.