Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Out of the two which one would you prefer for accuracy and reliability for a good deer rifle. Pros and cons to each?

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd rather get a sharp stick in the eye.

The 740/7400 Jammaster is no prize, and there is a long standing recall on the 100. Two or three days ago at the range, a 100 went full auto about five benches down from me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remington semi autos and "reliability" dont' belong in the same sentence
If you want "reliable" get a Browning

Last edited by Snyper; 04/03/14.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I inherited my dad's M100 years ago and never shoot it, it just doesn't float my boat. BTW he broke the original stock on a hunt in the 1970's despite Winchester ads promoting the strength of a one piece stock.

I would also select an older Browning BAR if the need for a semi auto hunting rifle
ever surfaced.....................

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Plenty of reliable 7400 and 742 rifles out there.
As long as they arent worn out.
Thing about most semi autos are the Magazines.
And if buying used you dont know so make sure you can shoot it first to check the reliability.
NOW that having been said ,give Remington Pump a thought
As They are known for great reliability,are accurate
and can be shot extreemly fast.
But its your dime.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've owned both. The Winchester Model 100 is by far the more handsome, but I'd go with the Remington for accuracy and reliability. BTW, if you do get a Winchester Model 100, make sure the safety modification was made.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by andrews1958
Out of the two which one would you prefer for accuracy and reliability for a good deer rifle. Pros and cons to each?

The only Model 100 I have used was ammo sensitive. Very accurate with ammo it liked. Small base dies required. You can get extra magazines but they are expensive.

Remingtons have been somewhat more reliable. My 740 got a little touchy but my LGS did a bit on it and it seems good now. 742's seemed much improved. The old guys I knew that hunted those automatics have mostly quit hunting so I have no info on 7400.

I would go with the Model 100 if I could get one in good shape.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never had any trouble with either of them. My choice would be the Winchester 100 though. My Winchester 100 (308) is more accurate than my Remington 742 (7mm express) and I think it looks better. The Win 100 will do 1.25 to 1.50 inch groups and the Rem 742 will do 2 to 2.5 inch groups with ammo they like. Both have always been reliable. Your milage may vary�

Winchester has a recall on the 100 firing pin. A quick call to the number on their web site will let you know if the 100 you are looking at has had the new firing pin installed. Mine hadn't. I got the new firing pin and a gift card for $30.00 in the mail in just a few days. It took about ten minutes to change the firing pin out.

Harry
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only way I could get my old 308 win MDL 100 to reliably fire, was to load nickle brass with small base dies and a mild load of H4895.

R
R
I have a 742 in .308 which shoots accurately and reliably. My research indicated that some of these guns had problems with the rails in the receiver. The bolt rides on these rails and if they become damaged, cannot be repaired. The worst offenders are .30-06, especislly if fired a lot with bullets over 180 gr.

RobertTx
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by djs
I've owned both. The Winchester Model 100 is by far the more handsome, but I'd go with the Remington for accuracy and reliability. BTW, if you do get a Winchester Model 100, make sure the safety modification was made.

Wasnt the recall for the firing pin?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
my brother in law hunted with one for about 15 yrs with a remington 7400 30-06 only shot factory as he did not reload. Alway killed deer and to my knowledge never had problem with it. I know he bought new in the late 90's

358win

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both of them seem to have come from clean rooms filled with clean engineers who tested them on clean benches wearing clean white coats. They get away with that with bolt actions, only just.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My father, grand father and uncle all bought Model 100's in the early 70's and they all carried/used them for many many years without a hic-up. I've got my grandfathers now and while I don't use it much, it's not fussy about ammo. Will do an 1", maybe better if you do your part and isn't a bad rifle at all (minus the crappy trigger).

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snyper
Remington semi autos and "reliability" dont' belong in the same sentence
If you want "reliable" get a Browning

THIS!

The 100 Winjammer isn't known as a great concoction of parts, and the Remington isn't really any better. There's a reason the 100s don't garner a premium.

...and yes, I have had three of them. I'm that dumb. laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My brother has been offered $1200 for his 284 M100. He hasn't sold as it was my grandpa's. Both me and my dad have M100 308s. His is more accurate than mine and both of ours are more accurate than my bro's 284. And my buddie's 7400 is more accurate than all three. But ours look better. cool

FWIW, the recall is an easy fix and no big deal.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Both of them seem to have come from clean rooms filled with clean engineers who tested them on clean benches wearing clean white coats. .....

THIS is the important thing about the 742 - 7400 Rems.

Haven't been around the W 100s but know about them, always wanted an 88.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Lot of people want to talk bad about the semi auto Remingtons But There are a lot of good one out there incliding some 740 and 742 rifles.
The thing is a lot of rifle loonys dont understand is a lot of People who own them are more hunters than shooters.
Most ,not all mind you, are deer hunters who buy the rifle, sight in at 100 yards and dont shoot it again that year unless Killing a deer.
Next year shoot 3-5 rounds at a target to make sure it is still sighted in and dont shoot anymore until they kill a deer.
Damn hard to wear a rifle out like that!
It is true that some jam but MOSTLY bad mags and WD-40 are the culprits.
These guns for the most part do what the owners want them to do and that is kill deer and provide a quick second shot.
Now I would not buy a semi-auto used Unless I could shoot it first OR new the person and could trust their word.
It might have to be cleaned well and or need the chamber brushed out real well as a lot of owners hunt in wet weather and then dont clean the chamber and oil it. that doesn,t work too well with a semi auto as the dont have the camming power of a Bolt rifle.
I bought a Remington 7600 270 win that did not want to chamber or eject, A look with a bore scope showed light rust in chamber . I took some fine steel wool and using an electric drill polished the chamber and it worked smooth as silk.There is a reason they put the dogleg brush in there with a Remington semi auto !
Are they as reliable as a bolt rifle ? No,but I have had plenty and seen plent that DONT jam.
AND I have NEVER seen one thet wont put 3 shots in 2 inches or less at 100 yards rested and MOST will shoot less than 1.5 inches for 3 shots or less.
But the blanket statements that ALL Remingtons are jam o matics is nothing but pure Bullsh..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a gun shop up here in Minnesota that makes a real nice living fixing Remington semi-automatics-they make pumps out of them! Personally, I'd go with the Browning, but that doesn't answer your question.

The Winny's better looking, but the Remington is probably a bit more accurate, at least in the several I've had experience with. The Remington is called the Minnesota Machine Gun up here by the many who either love it or hate it. Put on a set of see through rings and the cheapest 4x scope you can find, and you'll fit right in. If you really want to make the grade, hammer one of those little dime sized compasses into the stock and get a 20 round magazine for it!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Remingtons are normally quite a bit lighter than the Brownings and easier to carry around while hunting.
Part of the issue with the persona of using a semi-auto for hunting is internet oppinion that anyone who uses them is a doofus who must use see thrus and cheap scopes.
While some do I have also seen the same from bolt rifle users.
A semi auto can use a nice scope and mounts just like any rifle can.
However,that being said I bet many deer have been killed with see thru mounts and a cheap 4x scope!Whether mounted on a semi auto or a bolt gun !
SOME gun looneys get a holier than thou attitude that unless someone uses what THEY use the others are wrong.
Somewhat similiar to the attitude I got from other hunters when I was using a handgun to deer hunt instead of a rifle.
When someone post a question about semi-autos invariably there has to be someone who makes a snide remark to the effect of the person is goofy if they consider a semi auto as a viable hunting tool.
Internett hunting wisdom being passed down .....
Who cares IF a hunter is using a semi auto and a cheap 4x scope ? IF it works for the hunter thats all that counts.
When I started hunting over 40 years ago the majority of deer hunters used a Lever action or a semi auto rifle (usally 30-06)or a shotgun.
Never even seen a bolt rifle with the exception of the occassional military rifle.
Guess what they all did the job and killed deer.
So enough of the snide comments about semi autos.
IF you dont like em the nobody is twisting your arm to use one !
But there is no ADULT reason to make remarks and implications to the people that do.
some of yall need to Get on the ground and do your hunting off your feet instead of hunting off your HIGH HORSE.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

340 members (12344mag, 260Remguy, 338rcm, 300_savage, 219DW, 1lesfox, 51 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,619
Posts18,473,992
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.