Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RBunt227 -

Thanks for the link - this is the first time I've seen that article.

First, let me say I�m not in law enforcement or security, my home is in a rural area and I avoid crowds and downtown areas like the plague. While there is always the chance that I�ll encounter the odd crazy gone wild, the chances of me actually needing my CCW weapon is relatively low compared to others who spend more time in high-risk areas or activities. In addition, I consider the chances that I might need to shoot through barriers like auto glass or doors to be very low. The most likely scenario is a relatively close-range encounter � a few feet at most � and, although it may take some time to develop, it is likely to end rather suddenly. A running gun battle at longer ranges isn�t very likely.

Given that, my .380 with +P loads has seen a lot of carry duty. While I am fully aware my .380 is not as powerful as my 9mm (and holds half as many rounds!) or my .45, it is easy to shoot it well and recoil recovery time is minimal. For years I used a .22 semi for home defense, figuring I could dump several rounds into a BG very quickly. The article you linked to seems to confirm what I already believed � the cartridge is less important than placement and that a couple of well-placed hits generally do the job regardless of cartridge.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Live or death situation, would you feel comfortable carrying a 380?
No. .38 Special is my bare bones minimum, and that preferably +P.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carry a P3AT 380 with 90 gr Gold Dot bullets and 6.2 gr Power Pistol. This does 1100 fps over the chrono and the pistol weighs 10 ounces loaded.

In October 2013 I pulled it out and handed it to my friend who had wounded an antelope buck with his rifle. The 380 body shot was instant death to the ruminant and the big 6'2" 270 pound man was complaining about painful recoil.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Live or death situation, would you feel comfortable carrying a 380?

Better than a rock, slightly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
9�18mm Makarov has been used by Eastern bloc military's and police for decades, has undoubtedly dispatched millions, and a 380 can pretty much match it, velocity and energy.

Is the 380 ACP a preference?
Without doubt no, but for small CCW pocket defense situations it is hard to beat.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 700LH
9�18mm Makarov has been used by Eastern bloc military's and police for decades, has undoubtedly dispatched millions, and a 380 can pretty much match it, velocity and energy.

You need to look at some actual statistics. The .380 is no where close to the 9mm,andi doubt that it has dispatched millions, probably not even thousands.
The 9 mm Makarov is not a 9mm parabellum or Luger.

ClarkM Said "In October 2013 I pulled it out and handed it to my friend who had wounded an antelope buck with his rifle. The 380 body shot was instant death to the ruminant and the big 6'2" 270 pound man was complaining about painful recoil."

That is what a lot of people find out after they buy these lightweight sub compacts

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/03/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tbear
I live in liberal Northern Virginia where if anyone sees a gun they are likely to call the police. My .357 Ruger SP101 in .357 Mag is my choice or my 9MM S&W, but in the summer I needed something smaller. A .380 Bodyguard fits in a shirt or pants pocket stocked with Buffalo Bore cartridges. I always have a bigger caliber in my truck as backup. I also carry the little .380 as a backup when on duty as a security officer. Certainly the .380 is not the preferred choice but in a gunfight I plan to be shooting first & hopefully last.

tbear - living in blue state Md. I fully understand the problems you face in Va. Last year I sold a Colt 25 ACP ( at a very good profit )
but missed having a small handgun. Already have several 357MAG's. Early this year I got a very old Colt 380 with a grip safety. Great gun ! grin

Still have a full box of 25ACP, Anyone want it ?

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, a 1100 fps Kurz can kick in a small pistol.
In my little blow back it feels like a magnum.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore

You need to look at some actual statistics. The .380 is no where close to the 9mm,andi doubt that it has dispatched millions, probably not even thousands.

Without doubt no, but for small CCW pocket defense situations it is hard to beat.

You need better reading comprehension, now reread what I Wrote real slow two or three times, and maybe you'll understand what I said this time around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some people are just lucky beyond all statistical probability.

I've had my .380 in my pocket for the last 1-1/2 days and and I'm still alive to tell about it.

Of course I haven't needed it, but that's kind of the point - I don't expect too, either. I got my CCW in 2003, shortly after the shall-issue laws went into effect. In the 4,000-plus days since then, or the over 15,000 days since I left the service in 1974, I've never once needed a firearm for self-defense.

In the off chance that I do need a firearm, I believe the presence of one will be far more important then the cartridge it shoots.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

You need better reading comprehension, now reread what I Wrote real slow two or three times, and maybe you'll understand what I said this time around.

Nope, my reading comprehension is just fine. Show me the statistics that show the9mmMakaorw has dispatched millions and show me the statistics where it matches the 9mm Parabellum

I did not question this ,but since you brought it up, it is very easy to beat.

Without doubt no, but for small CCW pocket defense situations it is hard to beat

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm the OP, last night I purchased the S&W Shield in 9MM.
While I do like the S&W Bodyguard in 380, I took most of you guys advice and went larger. IMO the Shield was a good compromise between power and concealability. Thanks for your input!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Now the question! 7 rounds is it enough!

You now have to have a small 9 but at some point you will want a smaller gun for more discreet carry.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Isn't the 380 just a 9x17? Will it go through your body tissue
and bone? If you were shot with a 22Mag at say five feet away

would it not be the same as being hit by a .223 same bullet grn

same velosity? A 380 is actually bigger dia than a 35 cal 38.

So if I shot somebody with a 35 cal super duper mag rifle and

it went right through them and orbited the earth three times

before it hit the ground would they be anymore dead?

So if a 380 shoots plumb through you and drops 1 inch behind you

if you get shot placement isn't that enough for you?

Bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The voice of reason ?LOL

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
HUH??????????

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nope, my reading comprehension is just fine. Show me the statistics that show the9mmMakaorw has dispatched millions and show me the statistics where it matches the 9mm Parabellum

Without doubt no, but for small CCW pocket defense situations it is hard to beat

I probably should not bother to answer this but here ya go

The 9�18mm Makarov (designated 9mm Makarov by the C.I.P. and often called 9�18mm PM) is a Russian pistol and submachine gun cartridge. During the latter half of the 20th Century it was a standard military pistol cartridge of the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc

Used by
Russian Armed Forces,
Armed Forces of Ukraine,
Cuban Revolutionary Armed Forces,
People's Army of Vietnam,
Military of Bulgaria,
People's Liberation Army,
Military of the Czech Republic,
Military of Slovakia, others

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9718mm_Makarov

Now, how many folks do you think had their lives ended with a 9x18 in the eastern bloc where this cartridge was used for several decades ?
My hunch would be more than just a few thousand in countries were tens and perhaps hundreds of millions were killed.
Figger it out yet?
And I never said it was a 9X19, yet it is not very distant.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I probably should not bother to answer this but here ya go

The 9�18mm Makarov (designated 9mm Makarov by the C.I.P. and often called 9�18mm PM) is a Russian pistol and submachine gun cartridge. During the latter half of the 20th Century it was a standard military pistol cartridge of the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc

Used by
Russian Armed Forces,
Armed Forces of Ukraine,
Cuban Revolutionary Armed Forces,
People's Army of Vietnam,
Military of Bulgaria,
People's Liberation Army,
Military of the Czech Republic,
Military of Slovakia, others

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9718mm_Makarov

Now, how many folks do you think had their lives ended in the eastern bloc where this cartridge was used for several decades ?
Figger it out yet?
And I never said it was a 9X19, yet it is not very distant.

Huge difference between self defense applications and assassination or execution.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by bobbyjack
Isn't the 380 just a 9x17? Will it go through your body tissue
and bone? If you were shot with a 22Mag at say five feet away

would it not be the same as being hit by a .223 same bullet grn

same velosity? A 380 is actually bigger dia than a 35 cal 38.

So if I shot somebody with a 35 cal super duper mag rifle and

it went right through them and orbited the earth three times

before it hit the ground would they be anymore dead?

So if a 380 shoots plumb through you and drops 1 inch behind you

if you get shot placement isn't that enough for you?

Bob

How is .355 bigger than .357
The formula for kinetic energy uses velocity squared. it must mean something

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys remind me of my ex mother in law, in that you'd tell her one thing, and she hears something completely different.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (222Sako, 06hunter59, 163bc, 204guy, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 69 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,889
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.