Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

if you were at canyon de chelley in arizona, you were in injun country. Injuns no like white boys with guns, strictly taboo.
If they would have caught you, you would be speaking a couple octaves higher.

Here's an iconic view of Canyon de Chelley.
[Linked Image]

Watch that first step! (It's 700 feet.)
[Linked Image]

Oh, yeah - another 5 hours with the .380 in my pocket.

Tomorrow I go to work and the 9mm will be in my car.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/07/14. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I can�t believe that I have never chronographed a Speer 124 grain Gold Dot from my Sig P938, but I can�t find anything on that.

Here you go:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I chrono'd this Gold Dot ammo using my Oehler M43.

7 shot average was 1046fps
Standard Deviation was 15fps
and Extreme Spread was 40fps.

Both ammo and gun were at room temp.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. That is about what I suspected. So that gives ME of 301, 18 momentum and 6 Taylor KO out of a standard velocity round. I would much rather have the extra 34 grains of bullet travelling 100+ feet per second faster at an expense of an extra 4 ounces over the P238. (I realize that it�s an extra 10 ounces for someone who carries a 10 ounce gun.)

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lots of folks have expired at the hands of the 9mm kurtz (sp) pretty much the equivalent of the .380

bought my wife one, as one of those is better than nothing.

like others, ain't no warm fuzzies for me figuring on protecting my wife or family with one of them.

no barbs intended at those that make it their choice for carry.

just not for me

hell any handgun for me is just something to sling lead to get thee to a rifle!

but I like mine to begin with a .4????

am thinking with bullet technology available these days, the 9mm stands taller in the saddle than it used to, no flies on it either

but .4? something for me, just a quirk of mine I reckon.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by onefunzr2
I can�t believe that I have never chronographed a Speer 124 grain Gold Dot from my Sig P938, but I can�t find anything on that.

Here you go:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gotta face it folks... a pocket gun is a pocket gun... Reduce the barrel length and so goes the velocity. I don't remember what the Buffalo Bore .380 hardcast rounds that Safariman sent were but it was close to 1050 from a KelTec 3AT.

Not too long ago there was a program on the ID (Investigative Discovery) Channel on "The .380 Killer". Don't remember what city it was but it was an armed robber that shot all his victims with a .380...most never made it 10' and all died. All with plain old 95 grain FMJ ammo.

I hadn't had a .380 since I sold the MACs (I had three of them) in the late 1990s... When Mackay put out the call for some .380 for his departments new backup guns I found close to 20 boxes that I sent. Along with those FMJs I found 400 rounds of what I used to load commercially that is the same load CorBon now markets with the 90 grain Sierra JHP. I didn't want to send that ammo as it was well over a 1000 fps so I looked around and decided to get a Kahr P380...and found a GREAT deal on one complete with night sights for $100 under wholesale.

The gun is so much more accurate and shootable than the 3AT or KelTec .32s I have been shooting...head shots at 25 yards were very easy with the hotly loaded ammo. I also bought a box of the Buffalo Bore hardcast.

So now that it is finally warm enough to start wearing the Proper BDUs I usually wear during the summer..and the .380 drops right in the pocket using a Desantis BDU holster...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now I don't plan on leaving home without the .38 Super Commander but usually when in the house I don't have it on...just near by. So for now I'll also carry the Kahr whenever I have the BDUs on...

I think it will work....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...a .380 shooting...

Have a friend who runs a major security officers school in Durban SA. Was over there visiting him in August of 2001 and got home just before 9/11.

He and his wife have both been carjacked in the driveway of a house they used to live in.

One evening my friend is in the house and hears his wife pull in to the driveway. A few seconds later he hears a "pop" that he recognizes as a gunshot and runs out 1911 in hand.

The drivers door (right side of the car) is open and a BIG "gentleman" is standing there at the edge of the partially open door...he is not moving. My friend runs up and grabs the guy who the collapses to the ground...dead...

The guy had pulled the door open and my friend's wife fired one round from a Beretta .380 and caught him in the throat, the bullet angling up hitting the spine near the junction of the skull...instant "lights out". He died so fast when his jacket got hung up on the door edge he just hung there.

But even though the .380 worked perfectly she did shortly thereafter switch to a Glock 17...

Bob

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
rjm,

these are two very good, informative posts...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
U R welcome....Bob

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eh76
I carry mine when I can't carry something larger. I don't feel naked carrying it. That being said I am not looking for a fight either. If I can get out without using it so much the better. If I aboslutely have to use it someone is going to catch 7 slugs very quickly. It is not a long range proposition.
+1

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
if you're going to carry a .380, your bullet placement skills better be pretty damn sharp.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by onefunzr2

Here you go:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't need one of those but I sure do want one...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are ever passing through my neighborhood, I can let you can shoot mine.

[Linked Image]

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 58 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,800
Posts18,516,226
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.