Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I have been diagnosed with a Labral Tear in my right hip. The tear it's self is a result of a fall, but a hip impingement is a contributing factor.

http://www.methodistorthopedics.com/labral-tears-of-the-hip

From my own research, it seems surgery is the only way to properly repair the tear, and address the 'impingement'. I have a referral in for an off-base orthopedic.

I was wondering if any folks on here have had these issues. How was the process, surgery and recovery? I am hoping I am young enough that I can bounce back easily.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I cannot help,but,I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Good luck and speedy healing.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
PM me and I will give you my number. I have had two surgeries to repair this type of injury...first was when I was 18.

Prayers sent

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Jcubed
PM me and I will give you my number. I have had two surgeries to repair this type of injury...first was when I was 18.

Prayers sent

Thanks! I will get with you after the ortho appointment. I hope to have more information at that point.

Thanks for the well wishes and prayers, fellas. It means a lot to me.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
I have been diagnosed with a Labral Tear in my right hip. The tear it's self is a result of a fall, but a hip impingement is a contributing factor.

http://www.methodistorthopedics.com/labral-tears-of-the-hip

From my own research, it seems surgery is the only way to properly repair the tear, and address the 'impingement'. I have a referral in for an off-base orthopedic.

I was wondering if any folks on here have had these issues. How was the process, surgery and recovery? I am hoping I am young enough that I can bounce back easily.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

I'm going through this right now. I'll shoot a PM to you.

An honest man's pillow, is his peace of mind... JM
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

Prayers sent

Thanks! I will get with you after the ortho appointment. I hope to have more information at that point.

Thanks for the well wishes and prayers, fellas. It means a lot to me.

Find the BEST surgeon you can.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'll be 67 in a couple months. About four years ago I injured my right hip when I was working on some equipment on the job. It felt like I was stabbed in the hip joint with an ice pick. Long story short, I ended up seeing Oregon's supposedly most respected hip surgeon at OHUS in Portland. She told me that I would need a hip replacement (labral tear) in a year or two. I'm way past two years and have very little if any pain.
Maybe, I'm just lucky, but always remember that surgeons make money doing surgery. Good luck.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by kend
I'll be 67 in a couple months. About four years ago I injured my right hip when I was working on some equipment on the job. It felt like I was stabbed in the hip joint with an ice pick. Long story short, I ended up seeing Oregon's supposedly most respected hip surgeon at OHUS in Portland. She told me that I would need a hip replacement (labral tear) in a year or two. I'm way past two years and have very little if any pain.
Maybe, I'm just lucky, but always remember that surgeons make money doing surgery. Good luck.

Not all tears are the same. Depends on how the labrum has torn, was there detachment, etc...

I very happy that yours worked out in the best way possible.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Since I am Military, the surgeon will be decided by TriCare...

I have talked with a guy I worked with in a previous base, his is all well. So I hope if surgery is determined, it goes as well. Thanks for the info thus far.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Double tap...

Last edited by Pahntr760; 04/04/14.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Orthroscopic hip surgery is relatively new. Ortho surgeons who have done an extra year fellowship are the ones who can do that proceedure and there aren't that many so trained.

If the labrum can be tacked down and hasn't been torn too badly, one can expect a good result. If the labrum has been too badly torn and can't be repaired, it leaves bone on bone and leads to a total hip replacement down the road. The MR Arthrogram can't always tell the extent of labral damage. The surgeon can tell more once the scope is in place. Patients with a lot of underlying degenerative disease don't do as well as those without much arthritis.

Good luck.

DF

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I will give you all the info and experiences I have had...best wishes.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Orthroscopic hip surgery is relatively new. Ortho surgeons who have done an extra year fellowship are the ones who can do that proceedure and there aren't that many so trained.

If the labrum can be tacked down and hasn't been torn too badly, one can expect a good result. If the labrum has been too badly torn and can't be repaired, it leaves bone on bone and leads to a total hip replacement down the road. The MR Arthrogram can't always tell the extent of labral damage. The surgeon can tell more once the scope is in place. Patients with a lot of underlying degenerative disease don't do as well as those without much arthritis.

Good luck.

DF

Very good info here...as i said find the BEST surgeon you can.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I'm hoping I can work around the fall hunting seasons. It's going to be a tough go either way. I am going to need to look at trimming weight from my gear. Walking these sand-hills is going to be interesting with this ailment. Maybe grab some decent hiking poles to take some weight??

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by kend
She told me that I would need a hip replacement (labral tear) in a year or two. I'm way past two years and have very little if any pain.

I was having some real knee pain a couple of years ago. Went to two different orthopedists over a 2 year period. Had 3 MRI scans. First doc didn't know what it was, suggested some therapy and some NSAIDS. After 6 months it still hurt so I saw the second guy. He looked at my knee and said it was toast and I needed a replacement! I then got the second MRI and the radiologist that read it said I had a slight meniscus tear and no arthritis- basically directly contradicting the appraisal from the second surgeon. I ended having a blow out with his office manager because he stood me up on the two follow-up appointments. I basically blew him off and went on with life. I have zero knee pain and hike miles and miles. I am afraid to run (more than is needed during the course of a hunt) but put miles on my Mtn bike and miles on my boots.

If they tell you that you need a hip replacement, make sure you really do. I don't want a new knee until absolutely necessary.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The world renowned expert for hip arthroscopy is at the Steadman clinic in Vail. Phillipon. He is also renowned to be an A hole but I would cut him slack. The next is in Denver is named White, an up and comer trained by the former. Supposed to be a nice guy, both are booked at least 6 months out.

I have had a few steroid injections that have helped but some Surgeons don't like that, check with them first if you want to try that.

They have you on the stationary bike as soon as you recover from anesthesia. As with anything there are risks of worsening the condition. Good luck.

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by supercrewd
The world renowned expert for hip arthroscopy is at the Steadman clinic in Vail. Phillipon. He is also renowned to be an A hole but I would cut him slack. The next is in Denver is named White, an up and comer trained by the former. Supposed to be a nice guy, both are booked at least 6 months out.

I have had a few steroid injections that have helped but some Surgeons don't like that, check with them first if you want to try that.

They have you on the stationary bike as soon as you recover from anesthesia. As with anything there are risks of worsening the condition. Good luck.

Ah...my surgeon. He is definitely a nice guy. Depending on the severity and what is done during surgery will determine whether you are on the bike or not that quickly after surgery.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Good luck.

DF

Very good info here...as i said find the BEST surgeon you can.

Agreed.

Even the good ones haven't all done a hip fellowship.

Ask that question and go with fellowship trained orthos. Some do a 2 week crash course in hip orthroscopic techniques. If it was my hip, my doc would be fellowship trianed hip ortho, for sure.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,379
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.