Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Get an El Paso Saddlery Tanker.

Love it.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
[quote=CraigC]I tuned in late. I was always one who swore they'd buy the first .44Spl Ruger made but by the time they made one, I had developed a strong preference for the Old Model, Colt-style action. This custom by Jim Stroh ruined me on that. With an aluminum XR3 grip frame, it's 37oz of pure pleasure to carry and shoot.
[Linked Image]

CC

That Stroh Sixgun is a Beauty! Did he Hard Chrome that for you? The sculpting of the front sight base is excellent. Who did the grips?

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
You have mentioned that before and frankly that is where I seem to be headed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks! I think Stroh's front sight is the best looking in the business. He farmed out the hard chrome to Accurate Plating. I've had it for about 14yrs and it hardly shows any signs of use. Just a few shiny spots on the unplated aluminum grip frame. The grips are antique paper micarta by CLC.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
WW, As I mentioned earlier, I purchased the Diamond D Guides choice. Check it out. Might be one you will like. Sure liking mine. Adjusts easily, and works well with a back pack.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
byron,

I will take a look a that Holster as well.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by woods_walker
El Paso Saddlery Co. Tom Threepersons. Lined Basketweave with extra coverage.

[Linked Image]

outstanding!

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
El Paso Saddlery Co. Tom Threepersons. Lined Basketweave with extra coverage.

[Linked Image]

I'm not a big connesouir of leather and most of my stuff is utility as it's subject to lots of scrapes, bangs, etc., but I just love El Paso Saddlery's work! I'm going to get one of their Threepersons model for my NM Blackhawk .44 Sp. I guess to be in business for 125 years, you have to be doing something right!

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nice Sixgun.

I carry the holster a bit behind my right hip. Never had issues with rear sights.
Weight is more of an issue while doing chores and holstering with a heavy pants belt. A 2.5" holster belt remedies that but is not always the best way to go for me. So I am looking at trying one of the chest holsters.

Hard to believe it doesn't eat up your clothing. How do you protect the rear sight during "choring"?

I have both a chest holster and a shoulder holster for my Flattop but they get in the way also -- at least for me. With the chest holster; I'm forever banging it on machinery. I bought an Uncle Mike's Rigger's Belt to go with the hip holster and cinch it up tight. got it extra large, so that I can put it on over a coat if I wish. I also carry one of the UM ammo carriers with hardcast and shot cartridges. Makes a fairly handy outfit and I leave it all put together and ready to go.

Last edited by LarryfromBend; 03/24/14.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What kind of chest holster are you using?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Can't recall the brand name. It's a MT made product. The maker is usually at the big Great Falls gun show in the Spring -- That's where I got it. It's well made (not at all fancy but decent leather). He told me it would be great on a horse -- just doesn't work well for me unless it's under a heavy and over-sized coat.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by LarryfromBend
Can't recall the brand name. It's a MT made product. The maker is usually at the big Great Falls gun show in the Spring -- That's where I got it. It's well made (not at all fancy but decent leather). He told me it would be great on a horse -- just doesn't work well for me unless it's under a heavy and over-sized coat.

I bet it was Norm Schertenleib of MontanaHolster.com
http://www.montanaholster.com/

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That's him --- really nice guy --- I see he refers to his product as a shoulder holster instead of a chest holster.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I was just curious. Don't think I have anything from him.

Let me know if you want to send it down the road!

Travis

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Larry,
My response was directed to your comment about opening your arm on the rear sight not any other wear and tear. I also based that answer from experience with several Blackhawks one with a stock rear sight and the other with a Bowen, as I just got this flattop it does not have many miles on it at this point but no issues so far. I need to take another look at how the revolver is positioned in the holster where the leather meets the frame.

Your rig sounds like a good solution.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
A couple of El Paso Saddlery Three Persons and a Ruger Bianchi Flap holster. I think the way the revolver is positioned in the TTP holster helps to minimize contact with the rear sight.

[Linked Image]

When better protection is needed this Ruger/Bianchi Flap holster gives pretty good coverage for the revolver and grips. Not a bad way to go.

[Linked Image]

Some grips you just want to give some TLC to like this Bowen tuned Old Model .45 Colt with Sambar Stags.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by woods_walker; 03/25/14.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Larry,
My response was directed to your comment about opening your arm on the rear sight not any other wear and tear. I also based that answer from experience with several Blackhawks one with a stock rear sight and the other with a Bowen, as I just got this flattop it does not have many miles on it at this point but no issues so far. I need to take another look at how the revolver is positioned in the holster where the leather meets the frame.

Your rig sounds like a good solution.

NICE LEATHER!!!

I'm starting to wonder if my sight frame is somehow sharper than other examples. Mine --- literally --- will cut the inside of your arm the way a box cutter would with only a tiny bit of box cutter blade exposed.

I can't position it behind my hip, because I'm often on a 4 wheeler, tractor or horse.

Sometimes I over-think things like this: if you've had no problem maybe I'm making too big of a deal out of it. It's surely sharp, though. Way different than my non-FlatTop Blackhawks.

Last edited by LarryfromBend; 03/25/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had a Trailrider holster like this one for a few years and it is designed to protect the sight but leave the grip exposed for an easy draw. The flap covering the sight and hammer is a thumbsnap so you unsnap it naturally as you draw.

[Linked Image]

http://www.gunfighter.com/trailrider/tr_holster3.html

The leather is serviceable but a bit stiff, not the supple, thick leather of some of the nicer makers. If anyone has ever had an unlined Simply Rugged Sourdough pancake holster the leather thickness reminds me a bit of that. They do make a lined version but I couldn't comment on it as all I've owned is the unlined version.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Jim--

Your holster is a handsome version of what I was trying to accomplish by sewing the leather flap on my old holster.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Just a heads up... Multiple Ruger SS .44 Special Flattops for sale on the Ruger Forum.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,721
Posts18,475,781
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.