Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt that he would do a function test, make sure the barrel isn't full of dead bees, and give the internals at least a rudimentary spray down and scrub before he goes to blasting stuff.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

PG, you know better than that man. A stuck firing pin in one of those turns into a bomb.

You can't see the bolt or much of the internals from those pics, chances are it's fine, but that's quite a chance to take.

I've seen OBD fling hammers off, blow the hammer spring through wrist of stock, not to mention the parade of brass shards and gas that pours out of the top.

Likely to break the digits in the lever as well.

I might be overly cautious, but if I can keep someone from getting hurt its worth it.

J
JFKinYK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for all the tips, everyone - safety and otherwise. I'm pretty fond of my face and will try to not blow it off!

I have a 30-06 that's does all my hunting duty, so this isn't a necessary rifle that will see much action. I'm not even sure there is a gunsmith in town, or else I would have started there.

I'll also do a bore and mag check, and post some more pics.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If that was my gun I would disassemble it and soak the parts in a bucket of diesel fuel for a few days.
Then dry, reassemble and test fire.
If everything worked ok and it shot well, I.E. the bore was good etc...
I would disassemble again, bead blast and Cerakote the metal, refinish the stock and it should be good to go for at least a 100yrs.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I doubt there is anything seriously wrong with that rifle. Honestly, I've seen guys carrying and using 30-30s that looked worse than that. Their rifles lived under truck seats or on tractors in Arkansas and had more rust on them than that after the first summer.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
You need to let a smith disassemble, clean and inspect before you try to run a round through that thing.

The outside can be fixed, it's the inside that would have me worried.

Chances are the magazine tube is full of crap, the spring is toast and there is the possibility of a rusted, protruding firing pin sending one down range as soon as you lever it...or it becomes stuck after firing the first shot and you get a surprise bang levering it for a 2nd...

An out of battery ignition isn't something you want to experience with a gun in that condition...Especially with a lever gun that has top ejection - Good bye nose and eye.

If you want to keep the rifle, spend the coin to have a smith give it a good going over.

Money well spent.

^^^^^^^
What he said.

What they both said. In spades.
B.I.F.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JFKinYK
Hello Campfire-

I recently acquired an old 30-30 that has seen better days. Any advice where to start? Is it worth trying to save it myself? Get professional help?

Thoughts on value in current condition (if any!)?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is one rough looking rifle. Frankly, unless there is something special about that particular rifle, it needs more work than I'd be willing to put into it if paying a 'smith to do the work. I know prices have gone up but I paid $250 for a very nice Marlin 336CS in 2005 and I still see an occasional bargain.

When was the rifle made? Any historical or sentimental value?

I'd probably tear it down and clean that rifle up as best I could, then replace the springs and maybe the firing pin. If the bore is bad I might get it rebored to .35 as someone else suggested.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
JFKinYK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Not much sentimentality to the rifle. But it was free, so figured I could give it a good home. It was previously sitting outside in a shed for years.

I took some more pics last night, best I could, of the bore and some other parts. From tracking down the serial, it's a 1966. Serial starts with 29xxxxx.

Most of that fuzz in the bore is just dust I think, not rust. I haven't even ran a cleaning rod through the gun yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A 1966 Win 94 in good shape does not have very much value. Keeping that in mind, if it checks out mechanically and the bore is ok, consider using 0000 steel wool and oil to clean the rust off. Then degrease the metal and spray the metal with black Krylon and you will have a perfect "beater" rifle.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have made guns that looked worse than that, run and shoot fine with some elbow grease properly applied. If you are not too excited about the gun anyways, I will pay you a fair price for or trade you a good working gun for it then and use this one to build my long desired 30/30AI. This rifle is just the ticket to be the donor for a project like that.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7-30 Waters

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kroil and OOOO steel wool are your friends.

μολὼν λαβέ
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by safariman
I have made guns that looked worse than that, run and shoot fine with some elbow grease properly applied. If you are not too excited about the gun anyways, I will pay you a fair price for or trade you a good working gun for it then and use this one to build my long desired 30/30AI. This rifle is just the ticket to be the donor for a project like that.
I'd not want to put money into a 1966 '94 as a donor for a project. They were some of the poorest quality '94's ever produced. Stamped sheet steel carriers known for mis feeding. Walnut stained hardwood furniture. Cast receivers that required plating because they won't take conventional hot salts bluing.

J
JFKinYK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I'm in Canada, so that kills any transactions unless you are up here too. Thanks for all the offers though.

Sounds like a consensus is forming around dis-assembly to check some potential faulty parts, steel wool and elbow grease.

I had a member offer to send me some schematics to help. Once those arrive, or I find some online, I'll start tinkering. Thanks, everyone.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

PG, you know better than that man. A stuck firing pin in one of those turns into a bomb.

You can't see the bolt or much of the internals from those pics, chances are it's fine, but that's quite a chance to take.

I've seen OBD fling hammers off, blow the hammer spring through wrist of stock, not to mention the parade of brass shards and gas that pours out of the top.

Likely to break the digits in the lever as well.

I might be overly cautious, but if I can keep someone from getting hurt its worth it.

Easy to test. Run some primed brass through the rifle. If an OBD occurs, it will occur in a safe manner.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best post was the fellow who said soak it in diesel (after removing the wood).
For several weeks over very low heat outside.

A 66' 94 is not worth spending much on. Once you get it functioning with dummy rounds, replace the magazine spring, polish the inside of the magazine tube, magazine follower and inside of chamber. Have the headspace checked, if okay, then buy a NECO kit and firelap the barrel. Then fire 20 factory 170 loads. (tie the rifle to a tire)

I would not waste a dime on the outside unless you have an old can of spar varnish or oil based paint around.

Way too much work for a rifle that was never much to start with but projects are always fun.

Free is good !

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (160user, 35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,420
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.