Print Thread
Hop To
A
AH64guy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
What are the limitations on "repairing" a Cerakote finish?

I've read, and been told, that light scratches and small chips can be patched, but anything larger is a recommended strip and redo of the entire item/area to be covered.

Example would be a coated barrel/action in a vise block, some minor marring, and a need to repair marks/chips from the blocks or wrench.

Check or hold?

GB1

A
AH64guy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
No opinions or experience?

This would on a heat finish coat, not the air-dry.

Thanks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
call Eddie and ask him

http://www.fosnaughcustoms.com/

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
A
AH64guy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks Bea, I was hoping to avoid bugging a master at work with a trivial question, but maybe the best route.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
AH64guy, that is an excellent question!

Please be sure to let us know what you find.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The book say's says you cannot recoat it, but they stencil the stuff so that doesn't add up. I buggered up a spot on one of my rifles that I was coating today and am going to recoat the entire barreled action over the cerakote just to see how it looks and holds up.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by kend
The book say's says you cannot recoat it, but they stencil the stuff so that doesn't add up. I buggered up a spot on one of my rifles that I was coating today and am going to recoat the entire barreled action over the cerakote just to see how it looks and holds up.

Camo patterns are done in multiple coats ain't they? Like you said...

I would be interested in the answer to this one too.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Actually, Apache pilots are supposed to know everything so it's considered bad form to ask someone else how to do something smile

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Any difinitive answers???

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have talked to Karl about this in the past and his feelings are to re-do the entire part and not try and touch up.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by passport
I have talked to Karl about this in the past and his feelings are to re-do the entire part and not try and touch up.

This is one of the biggest reasons I use GunKote over CeraKote - you can touch up GunKote easily.
Plus there is no mixing.
Plus the gloss is not determined by the mix ratio (not easily repeated for a touch up).
Plus it dries to the touch before baking so it is much easier to handle.

I have seen the CeraKote tests claiming superiority over GunKote - I have also seen the exact opposite results showing GunKote superior using a different abrasion method.

I do either for customers and I have GunKote on all my personal weapons.

Talked with both at SHOT show and I will continue to use GunKote unless a customer insists on CeraKote.

Not looking for a pissing match - opinions very - just my 2 cents worth and after doing well over 100 guns. Your mileage may very.

Some guys like Savage and some guys like Remington both work and either will do the job.

Dan

"Any inanimate object will just sit there until a person picks it up.
What they do with it depends on what kind of respect they've
been taught for human life"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,711
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.