Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Saw the other posts and had to reply. The 300RUM is a fantastic, accurate, round regardless of what previous posters say....if you can handle the recoil, then go for it. A 300 WM is fantastic as well, but the RUM gives you a few more yards, and if that's important to you, well, there ya go...you got your answer. My longest kill with mine is a lasered 719 yards.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Saw the other posts and had to reply. The 300RUM is a fantastic, accurate, round regardless of what previous posters say....if you can handle the recoil, then go for it. A 300 WM is fantastic as well, but the RUM gives you a few more yards, and if that's important to you, well, there ya go...you got your answer. My longest kill with mine is a lasered 719 yards.

The only place a 300 RUM gives a few more yards over a 300 Win Mag is when it enters the transonic zone. Which is not a factor for this rifle anyway, so the RUM is a waste.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxer
What contour? Beings you cited (3) handles that'll eat some spout,I reckon you are in #5 or so Mode?

The Rem Hunter is a nice way to fly and will eat a #8.

Uppermost.

[Linked Image]

Lose the long barrel,[bleep] the brake and the Jewell.

Hint.

Hunter or Classic for a factory 700 7RM tube? Leaning Classic, but that Hunter has appeal. Looks like it's more suited for a heavier contour though.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'57,

I'm happy with a 22" 7-08,quite a ways beyond your 719...and that isn't because I don't have a Beeg Thirty.

700/Super/Classic...yada,yada.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

'goat,

The 300Winny isn't a horrible way to fly,especially in a 700,as they are throated nicely and their COAL latitude is more forgiving than the Ultra.

Having had 'em all and if forced to drive an increased capacity 30cal,it'd be a Montucky 300 Whizzum. It's a great blend of all the attributes,which actually bear fruit.

The Montucky 7 Whizzum,of course steals the [bleep] show.

Hint.

'bore,

That's Classic Country. I'd not go Rem Hunter until a #5 or greater. The Sako Hunter,is also a consideration up to a beeg #3.

Sako Hunters.

#3 Brux

[Linked Image]

#4 PN

[Linked Image]

Fluted #4 Krieger Hvy Sporter/Classic.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Something has really piqued my interest in this thread. I have very little claim to any expertise in hunting or shooting but have shot a little bit, not much though.
Boxer, aka Larry who is not shy about his excellence in things requiring masculine tendencies, posts over and over and over again about how important it is to have a rifle that is pleasant to shoot, ie, moderately recoiling. One of the rifles he touts highly is the 7/08, which is, strangely enough, very close to the recoil level the United States Army found to be the limits of men's recoil tolerance.
Now, in over twenty years of seeing a friend bring groups of people to Montana to deer and elk hunt, I have NEVER seen someone shooting a 300 Magnum go home with an elk. Never. Not once. The elk have gone home with the guys that bring rifles up to the 30/06 size. Now, these guys shoot a few deer, most of them does that field dress up to about 100 pounds. It's seldom that you see one shot kills on the does from the magnums.
I have other friends that carry magnums of one sort or another for elk hunting, also. One old timer shoots a 338, and he shoots it well. The last elk he killed that I was with, required three shots. All solid hits in the chest, and she wasn't going far. 210 Nosler Partition
Another friend has to use a 300 WSM. His record for killing elk with it is about 50%, and he doesn't shoot past 300 yards. Just some misses that can't be explained.
Have another friend from Bozeman that shoots a 7/08. He doesn't shoot much, a few rounds to sight in, and then whatever he shoots hunting. I don.t believe he has ever shot at an elk that wasn't adorned with his tag withing a few mimutes of being shot at.
Have another friend from Bozeman who does a lot of deer hunting with his daughter. They have killed over, way over 100 deer and antelope with the lowly 243 and 100 grain Hornady bullets. Has never ever had a problem killing either with the 243. He is a former sniper instructor and she used to compete in silhouette shooting. I used to go look at the animals they shot, but it got boring- Always one hole in behind the shoulder and another hole out on the other side.
Just a few observations-
And then I think back to my experience at sight in days at the range. If someone showed up with a 30/06, he might or might not be able to shoot it- some could, some couldn't- Almost always, those that showed up with 7 mags or bigger were going to be a problem.
So, there's three pieces of evidence that I am aware of that recoil matters a lot- Larry's experience, the research of the US Army, and my observations of an average og at least 6 hunters a year for twenty years, with my observations at sighting in day thrown in for good measure.
Maybe there is something to this recoil deal and it's relationship to being able to kill an animal.
Also, for those that say that recoil doesn't matter because they don't feel it when they are shooting at an animal, here are a couple of things to think about.
First of all, whether you feel the recoil or not has nothing to do with the flinch. If you had been around shooting even as little as I have, you would have picked up on the fact that flinches start BEFORE the recoil occurs, or can be felt. Flinching is a reflex action that can be fairly easily controlled when you are at the bench and can concentrate wholly on your shooting technique. If you have a tendency to flinch, when you get the least bit excited you are likely to flinch, even if you are shooting a 22. I know this, because when I worked in the gun store, we would amuse ourselves with the John Wayne type who always swore that "recoil doesn't bother me!"
We's check a rifle several times for safety, show them it was unloaded, and then have them dry fire it at the wall. Saw some really creative flinches there, with a totally non recoil rifle.
So, maybe, just maybe, there is something to this recoil thing

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxer

'bore,

That's Classic Country. I'd not go Rem Hunter until a #5 or greater. The Sako Hunter,is also a consideration up to a beeg #3.

Appreciate the insight, as usual...

Originally Posted by Royce

So, maybe, just maybe, there is something to this recoil thing

Anyone showing up to "sight in day" is pretty much a lost cause out of the blocks. Can't say I can tell the difference between a 7# '06 and 8-1/2# 7RM, except what's getting shoved in the chamber.

OP:

If you go WSM, here's a pile to get you started. I'll even throw in a few Scenars so you can see WTF.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Royce,

I was rather looking forward to '57 musing Ultra "particulars",as it was gonna get funnier than [bleep]...faster than [bleep].(grin) Though my fingers is still crossed,especially in regards to boolits/velocity,glass/mounts,etc.(grin)

Anywhoo...I've mentioned often,that I've seen farrrrrrrr more [bleep] up schit with Boomers,than I have .473" or .378" based stuff. As a constant,folks is typically wayyyyy over Cartridged and under Boolited,coupled with a platform that is a Goat [bleep] to boot and frosted nicely by never getting shot. Them things reliably do Placement no favors,which of course is THE best way to make easy things difficult,as a BEST case scenario. Good boolits,in good places,will reliably arrange GREAT things,as terminal affects go. Folks is curiously in a hurry,to [bleep] that up. I'll never savvy the approach.

You'll see folks here Dream up ALL sorts of reasons not to shoot,which is admittedly funnier than [bleep]. It's a curious constant,that them who fret "shooting out" a barrel,is the ones least capable/likely of doing same.(grin) FUNNY schit!

Proficiency cain't be purchased,and spent primers remain The SUPREME Tutorial. When one obtains a handy/dandy rifle of the Light Done Right variety,which is FUN to shoot...a whole 'lotta schit gets veddy veddy easy by default. It simply can go NO other way and them "odds",ain't tough to bank upon.

I can only lead folks to water...I cain't make 'em drink and would not,even if I could.(grin)

Hell,it's easy for me to say,I've got 'em all and I'm afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess.

16',

A Montucky Whizzum Skinner Slinger,would indeed be a veddy veddy nice ride.

I've oft wondered what one in 7 Whizzum would do,if stoked with 162's?!?

You boys just might talk me into a short action yet!(grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know where are couple are, if you don't mind the paint jobs grin

Going Retro Remmie 162/22/250's, one bullet wonder.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A 300 ultra is a disaster for a new shooter. Get a 243 to start with and shoot a couple barrels out of it before going bigger IMO.
I have had several Ultras and currently own one. Its a great round, but takes alot of practice to master, not to mention the thing will flat wear you out physically and mentally in short order. It is also unforgiving in COL so options are limited if you want it to feed from the magazine. This isnt a huge deal, but does tend to increase the messing around it takes to get some bullets to shoot. However, it does stomp thn pretty hard when you can shoot it well.
The 300 win mag is a great round too, and I have one, but is also takes quit a bit of work to master, albeit less than an ultra.
Also from your conponent list it appears your building a pretty specialized rifle. Id rethink that as well

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Royce
I have NEVER seen someone shooting a 300 Magnum go home with an elk. Never. Not once.

Funny about that.

Maybe not for everybody, but I sure like mine.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You only shoot dinks though.......lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Godogs57

I could not agree more.

If you can handle the recoil and If it is built correctly with the right components you will never need anything else. I had a few in different configurations and all were very accurate.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
14 years and counting hunting with a .300 RUM. If you want one, build one. mtmuley

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It is an intellesting constant,that those who are typically swooned with the 300 Ultra and it's ilk Today,reliably "know" the least about rifles,boolits,glass,mounts,twist,throating,COAL latitude and the like. It is seemingly comfortable to many,to schlep long spouts,increase recoil,field schit balance/handling,add drop/drift and add noise,as a means of bragging rights for the "honor" of heavy concession. Funny schit!

Hopefully,some of 'em will feel obligated to wax eloquent on them particulars...though I'm more than a touch dubious.(grin)

Hell,mebbe Fotis will be [bleep] stupid enough to try and cite how to build one "correctly" and muse them particulars,along with a list of components. If she ain't still stumped with stock bedding and the "nuances" of floating a barrel.

Laffin'!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Boxer, my rifle balances well, I know the drop/drift, it ain't any more noisy than other magnums. It don't take a rocket scientist to load for the .300 RUM. The rifle didn't make my junk any bigger either. No "honor" anywhere. Or bragging. It's a great cartridge, hammers critters, and if a guy wants one or three, so what? After 14 years I "know" a bit about the .300 RUM and what it will do. "Knowing" about all the info you elude to applies to any cartridge. Just my thoughts. mtmuley

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'muley,

I'll feign my "surprise",that no "particulars" surfaced in regards to boolits,their speed,glass,mounts,stock,bedding or anything else. Nor am I taken aback,that there's no honor in the equation...or anything to brag about. Laffin'.

Ohhhhhhhh you just might could be onto sumptin',in that particulars make more than a wee bit of difference,no matter the chambering and there prolly weren't no need to reiterate that,as it's long been a given.

Starting to smell like [bleep] Partitions and injection moulding to me,but this schit is always [bleep] funny!

What was it that you "thought" you "knew" again?!? Do tell,please don't be shy.

Laffin'!

Again,which boolit,glass,mount,stock,bedding and the like,enable your 300 Ultra to handle so "exceptionally" and really "hammer" things? Hell,mebbe say sumptin' about engagement distances,the means it's quantified and how POA/POI are arranged,if only for more humor.

Don't be shy,you got me on the ropes and you've the upperhand with 14 "years" of "trigger time".

Laffin'!

Fullofschitis,

You poor poor stupid [bleep]...I enjoy your Imagination,ALMOST as much as you do. Laffin'!

Points awarded for the "boring regularity" of AccuBombs goings in the .6's at the 300yd line. It's your Imagination Toots,Pretend with it however you please. Mebbe muse bedding?!? Laffin'!

Knock it out of the [bleep] Park and dangle a pic of you and your crossed-eyes with that Sako,so as to correlate the grandeur of your Daring Dumbfhukktitude. Laffin'! Feel free to call-in Imaginary Pretend Ignore,should it "help" you.

Wow +P+!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mt Muley. I agree. The rum can shine if one can handle it.

This is what my Sako 300 Rum does with boring regularity more or less. Not bad for a factory job. Elk deer and antelope have been taken with no issues at different ranges.

[Linked Image]

μολὼν λαβέ

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I ain't getting into the pissin thing with Boxer. Don't have time. Nice shooting Fotis. That Accubond at 3100-3200 fps is deadly on any critter. mtmuley

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mine sits in a McMillan supergrade pattern. Edge fill. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you MtMuley!

μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,454 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,170
Posts18,484,590
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.