Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I lived off a one and a half lane road with one side being basalt face and the other a couple of hundred feet straight down to a lake. I often drove a tractor with a disk, baler or rake on the back down that road. The motor homes driven my an old guy with coke bottle glasses and an oxygen line under his nose came close to sending me before the pearly gates countless times.

Wit the vertigo problems I surrendered my CDL and now let my wife do all the driving. It is hard on what ego I have left but I won't hurt anybody this way.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
As far as women and their driving around semis, very few have sat in the cab of a semi and felt what it is like to have 80,000# shoving their arse down the road nor experienced what it is like to have stop that kind of weight when they're cut-off by inconsiderate drivers. Having been there and done that, I give semi drivers the room they need to drive their rigs safely.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Try it at 105,500 pounds going down an ice and snow covered mountain pass with a 7% grade.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Drive a school bus for a bit. I think cell phones should have a sensor in them that puts them in airplane mode if moving over 10mph.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 12344mag
A lot of folks seem to think it's their right to merge onto the highway rather than their responsibility to merge safely.

This I see all the time. Just because you have your signal on doesn't mean you can merge.

- Rogue
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Drive a school bus for a bit. I think cell phones should have a sensor in them that puts them in airplane mode if moving over 10mph.

I heard of some service that can be added to cell phones that disables them at any speeds above 7 mph. It's marketed toward parents with an eye toward keeping their kids focused on the road rather than the phone.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Parents need to active it on their own phone, most especially women.

If there is a single woman in the car I will say 90% of the time they are either talking or texting. I'm 48 and I can count on one hand how many times I've heard anything important come from a woman...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Parents need to active it on their own phone, most especially women.

If there is a single woman in the car I will say 90% of the time they are either talking or texting. I'm 48 and I can count on one hand how many times I've heard anything important come from a woman...

laugh

I'm 45 and can't come up with much of an argument on that statement. smile

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll add my agreement about women drivers and cell phones: it's frightening. Men do it as well, but not nearly as often. If you see a woman driving, it's a pretty safe bet that she's on the phone as well.

I truly believe that women have heard "ladies first" so many times that they believe - at least subconsciously - that they have the absolute right-of-way everywhere and always.

It also seems to be true that despite Drivers' Ed, many women don't seem to grasp the mechanics of moving objects, cars especially. Their default response to ANY unusual occurrence is to slam on the brakes.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by fburgtx
... Also frustrates me that women seem unable to merge using the gas pedal. They get up to 55-60 and that's it, time to use the brake pedal and pull in front of someone, when simply speeding up to 70 or so would have simply and safely done the trick.

This is a pet peeve of mine with drivers of either sex. When you're merging onto a 70 mph highway, step on the friggin' gas pedal dammit!

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Women drivers+cell phones is the BIGGEST danger on the road today..

This is a pet peeve of mine with drivers of either sex. When you're merging onto a 70 mph highway, step on the friggin' gas pedal dammit!
You got it...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
And nowadays we even let them fly airplanes. Every day, during my sixty mile commute, females are either on the phone or texting, in the left lane OF COURSE and at or below the speed limit.

They are a pain in the ass and were it not for the fact they have a hole(s), there'd be a bounty out on them...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One hand on the steering wheel, one holding the phone while driving in the passing lane and watching the rear mirror. When you get behind them they slow down or hit the brakes while gesturing you to get off their azz. Hint, dumbazzes: when you slow down the gap between us shrinks. Get over!

When I can get by them on the right I sometimes abruptly get back over, sometimes without signaling first, and as I pull away I'll look back to see if it gave them a clue. Sometimes it wakes them up and I see them signal and get over for the relief of the half dozen cars behind them but usually they just sit there oblivious or uncaring.

Completely F's up the flow of traffic and which makes everything more dangerous, I don't like being packed in with no lane to escape to. All so the two or three at the front can drive side by side pretending they are B17 pilots and the 190s are coming in.

Truckers and motorcyclists deserve lots of space.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
My observation is that talking/texting on the phone has taken the place of putting on makeup while driving, with women. Second place dangerous is people with handicap stickers on their automobile. I know that I will catch flack for saying this, as I have before, but if you will watch it, it is there. You see something unsafe happening, look first for the phone and if not that, look for the handicap sticker/tag and report back. miles

No flack from me, my observation is handicap stickers or plates equates to a serious warning flag.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A Lincoln driven by someone wearing a hat (not a ball cap) is a near perfect indicator of a rolling roadblock.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
A Lincoln driven by someone wearing a hat (not a ball cap) is a near perfect indicator of a rolling roadblock.

Your distinction between a hat and a cap scores you huge points in my book.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
BLG Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Most women lack the basic situational awareness instincts. I have told my wife this many times. Whether walking around town or driving, women lack situational awareness.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too many drivers are oblivious, and many of those are female. Guys can be aggressive and stupid (Florida Pickup Squid being one example), but women are just, um, stupid.
BLG gets it right. Why no SITAR? Well, most men play team sports and that teaches you dynamic situational awareness, moving with the flow, anticipation and planning. Girls don't get that so much. I've found that good lady drivers I know DID in fact play roundball or lacrosse or ski (well), while the dangerous ones have very little "sporting" exposure at all.

That said, I think our roads would be a hell of a lot safer if cops focused not on speed, but on all the other violations that signal incompetence -- crossing the paint, signalling wrong, stopping out of turn, multiple lane changes, illegal turns, wide lefts, spacing, gathering a convoy, etc etc etc. Never mind TEXTING or just mindlessly yapping -- worse than drunkenness.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I drive 80 miles on I-40 just about everyday and 1/2 the drivers I notice are on the phone or looking down to texting. I see a lot of accidents running I-40.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I live in an old subdivision just outside of down town,...narrow streets, with on street parking.

There's not room for 2 cars to pass on any of these streets.

Here's what I see on a regular basis around here.

Two men meet,..the one closest to a gap in the cars parked on the street pulls over and lets the other guy by.

Both wave as a simple gesture of common courtesy.

If you meet a woman driver coming down one of these narrow residential streets, it's time to find a place to get out of her way.

She's brain dead in the middle of the road and she owns the sumbitch.

Don't expect her to deviate one iota from her path for anything and don't expect her to slow down.

She might as well be a freight train on tracks.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1234, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,024
Posts18,481,678
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.