Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
I don't think anyone following the story felt that was over because there is no resolution yet.

letting the cattle go isn't a resolution, the BLM doesn't want them on the land and Bundy does - until that is resolved, whatever has happened to date is just a postponement.

The question is however - does our federal government think the big picture issue of making sure a citizen does not feel emboldened to do something like this in the future is worth using force against the Bundy family or worse, a small arms skirmish with self described militias and 1%'ers over some gd's cows eating brush in the desert.

thats exactly what im afraid is gonna happen....the kooks in charge at the moment are not going to be able to handle the thought of someone very publicly getting their way cause its gonna mean alot of chit possibly coming down in the Arsehole in Chiefs lap that he doesnt want public....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd like to know if the 1993 tortoise ruling would still hold up in court today based upon common sense evidence.

Of course the truth is usually somewhere in the middle, and unfortunately for both private individuals and the cause of conservation "common sense" usually does not seem to figure into it.

Case in point the Golden-cheeked Warbler here in Texas. Listed endangered in 1990 when an estimated 10,000 pairs remained.

The bird needs woodland, specifically 100 year-old cedars. Only problem is before settlement MOST of Central Texas was prairie. There might have been more of these warblers in Texas in 1990 than there ever was. Got declared endangered anyway, in 1992 Clinton's Secretary of the Interior declares 33 whole counties in Central Texas as "critical habitat".

Ranchers all across the Hill Country immediately cut down every old cedar on their property, and who can blame 'em? Listing prob'ly hurt the bird more than anything, ironic since ranchers were never a previously a threat to the bird, nor the bird a threat to ranchers. The hoopla did launch the political career of George Bush Jr. tho'.

'Nother case point the Concho Water Snake, had to be later UNlisted after halting water development for all of San Angelo when it turned out they were all over the place in the reservoir that was supposed to be a threat.

With the tortoise I'd wanna know how they survived the sort of range abuse that caused the Taylor Grazing Act to be enacted in the first place, and jut how many are left today.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
I don't think anyone following the story felt that was over because there is no resolution yet.

letting the cattle go isn't a resolution, the BLM doesn't want them on the land and Bundy does - until that is resolved, whatever has happened to date is just a postponement.

The question is however - does our federal government think the big picture issue of making sure a citizen does not feel emboldened to do something like this in the future is worth using force against the Bundy family or worse, a small arms skirmish with self described militias and 1%'ers over some gd's cows eating brush in the desert.

thats exactly what im afraid is gonna happen....the kooks in charge at the moment are not going to be able to handle the thought of someone very publicly getting their way cause its gonna mean alot of chit possibly coming down in the Arsehole in Chiefs lap that he doesnt want public....

I'll say this - this country will not tolerate another Waco.

It would be the tipping point. Waco happened prior to the advent of social media and readily available internet access as well as more talking news media.

An event like that would incite outrage nationwide -and whether Bundy is a lawbreaker for cattle chewing their cud where they don't belong would be long irrelevant to the situation.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With the tortoise I'd wanna know how they survived the sort of range abuse that caused the Taylor Grazing Act to be enacted in the first place, and jut how many are left today.

Birdwatcher

From the environazi's site: http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/species/reptiles/desert_tortoise/index.html

SAVING THE Desert tortoise

Desert tortoises have lived in the deserts of California, Arizona, Nevada and Utah since the Pleistocene. In the early years of the 20th century, they still thrived within the Southwest�s arid landscapes: As many as 1,000 tortoises per square mile once inhabited the Mojave. But by the end of the century, this population of the desert tortoise was listed as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act. Livestock grazing and urban development, along with the ever-increasing use of off-road vehicles, continue to degrade the tortoise�s vanishing habitat, while Army translocation projects threaten to devastate the Mojave population.

If that isn't the biggest crock of horseschidt I ever saw lied about, I don't know what is. mad

That's the trouble with groups like that. They will blatantly lie to further their cause. As you said, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. But, I doubt cows were ever a threat to any tortoise, just like the bison wasn't.

I have seen many, many tortoises run over by vehicles. I will still stop and move one out of the roadway if it's on it. Never, ever saw a cow kill one though. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm kinda wondering how they taste?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
I'm kinda wondering how they taste?
I posted a link to a recipe for Turtle Soup to Bob the Lawyer in one of these threads. I don't know if he's tried it yet or not but I just wondered if he favored it over Crow Pie, which we all know is something he eats regularly.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
You and I have been on here a long time together yet you came down on the side of the untruths.

What? I said you talked smack about someone's wife?

Ironically in this case, not true.

=============

TFF. Another EE can't comprehend what he's reading post. Go figure.

Ironic,for sure, but also expected.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rattler

I'll say this - this country will not tolerate another Waco.

It would be the tipping point. Waco happened prior to the advent of social media and readily available internet access as well as more talking news media.

An event like that would incite outrage nationwide -and whether Bundy is a lawbreaker for cattle chewing their cud where they don't belong would be long irrelevant to the situation.

One more white supremacist attack may be all it takes for .GOV. Bundle this with the Bundy deal and you know Holder is going to be chomping at the bit.

Last edited by Raeford; 04/15/14.

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If that isn't the biggest crock of horseschidt I ever saw lied about, I don't know what is.

That specific fact? 1,000 tortoises per square mile? Maybe not so exaggerated, at least for some areas of the Mohave.

That translates to about 2/3 of an acre per tortoise. These things live much of their lives in a sort of near-suspended animation, a metabolism so low the water in their bladder equates to a year's supply.

Retraction to above.... "In the most densely populated areas, you may find one tortoise per 2.5 acres."...

The flip side of that is their space/food requirements are so low one wonders how much the target restoration population is since it got listed. In other words, how much acreage do ya gotta preserve?

At this point, if I was a disinterested observer living near the Bundy place, I'd go out and count tortoises on that disputed range.

As browsing around revealed; everything from ATV's, to people picking them up and causing them to pee and lose stored water to trash-feeding ravens around towns also preying on young tortoises can hammer them.

http://www.endangeredspeciesinternational.org/deserttortoise.html?gclid=CJ2ny9v64r0CFchQ7AodBC4AHQ

In Texas the Black-capped Vireo (bird) was declared endangered largely on population data from the Austin area, by which stats it shoulda gone extinct years ago. Now this vireo might genuinely be endangered, but it has turned out since then that the Austin area is presently marginal habitat for that species. In other words even if they were common they'd still be dying off around Austin, and that this Austin population has maybe always consisted of birds bred in other areas. Turns out since that there are substantial numbers scattered locally across West Texas, and a college professor friend of mine found a sizeable and previously unknown breeding population in the mountains of North-Central Mexico.

Perhaps the tortoise was classified on the basis of disappearing populations around urban areas too I dunno.

Birdwatcher

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 04/15/14.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The .gov has been arguing for an internet flip switch so they can just turn it off for most people in the event of "national emergency" which is to them somebody keeping them away from the pig trough. I wonder if they've got much of one. Most of the ISP's would roll right over willingly and the .gov has their tentacles everywhere on the internet and all other COMMO. [bleep] Holder and the braying assclown named Farry that he rides.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
The .gov has been arguing for an internet flip switch so they can just turn it off for most people in the event of "national emergency" which is to them somebody keeping them away from the pig trough. I wonder if they've got much of one. Most of the ISP's would roll right over willingly and the .gov has their tentacles everywhere on the internet and all other COMMO. [bleep] Holder and the braying assclown named Farry that he rides.
Yeah, they hate the fact that the internet allows folks to get instant real-time information before their propagandists have had a chance to manipulate public opinion towards the government slant. If they had it, they would have used an internet cut off switch during the Bundy thing.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Yeah, they hate the fact that the internet allows folks to get instant real-time information before their propagandists have had a chance to manipulate public opinion towards the government slant. If they had it, they would have used an internet cut off switch during the Bundy thing.
Their problem with a kill switch is that nobody believes their lies in the old school media anymore so if you turn off the internet, one of their big propaganda tools is gone. That plus the fact that they have provocateurs everywhere on the internet sewing disinformation. They hate to let go of those advantages.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by fish head
First off, just to be clear, Harry Reid is a POS.

I'm having a hard time buying into the Chinese solar plant theory though. It doesn't add up and for several reasons.

1) If the Chinese wanted to spend 5 billion dollars on a solar farm they could afford to buy some cheap desert land.

2) Locating the plant near Laughlin makes sense. There was a coal fired power generating facility near Laughlin that was shot down in 2005. Locating a new facility near there gives access to the power grid without stringing new power lines.

For reference ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohave_Generating_Station

actually they DID string new power lines, on the road from quartzsite up to bouse. Couldn't figure out why they were putting in those nice new poles and lines,sure as heck know now. They are in the process of deactivating/shutting down coal generators in northern arizona, even tho that puts navajo's out of work. And the plants supplied the power to pump water out of the colorado to lift up the hill to the canal which runs all the way down to tuscon. Accross property originally owned by some prominent democratic elected officials. Must not forget that bridge accross the river at laughlin they were purposing too, seem ol harry reid might have owned the land on the nevada side where the road would have connected.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It would be quite easy for someone not familar with that area to underestimate the residents who live there. A stiff spine comes to mind, and not bluffed easily. I don't think anyone wants to see violence, but i would not be surprised at it if these people are pushed in the wrong way. It's the match that lights the kindling that lights the fire. Again, there is prior history in the area of the state/federal gov. moving into these areas on issues of polygamy, some of it recent. I don't know how far intimidation would work. Geez, there are some homes built at colorado city on the state line between utah and arizona. If you get harrassed on side, move to the other side of the room.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this shows exactly why the government wanted an internet cutoff

can you imagine a social media call to all armed citizens to go defend the Bundy ranch against an armed assault by a federal program?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this shows exactly why the government wanted an internet cutoff

can you imagine a social media call to all armed citizens to go defend the Bundy ranch against an armed assault by a federal program?

I told my wife the very same thing yesterday. If it came down to it, I wonder how many people would pack up their gear and head down there to make a stand?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The problem is the sights isn't pointing toward that bastard, Harry R. It will be government employees that that will be on the other end of the good guys sights.

The evil one is in Washington - Harry R. He could care less how many deputies or guardsmen get killed. I suspect that he would just use the number killed to justify gun control.

For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound doctrine, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander away to myths.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yeah, the reign of prince Hairy needs to be that which is over.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (10Glocks, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 673, 1_deuce, 10 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,508
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.