Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Brent Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So, I open the box and as I unpack it, first I have a sense of relief b/c it indeed is a 24DL in .22LR/20ga that appears original (not a lump of coal). Next impression is that it is filthy! Has yellowish dirt/stain on the receiver, the outside and inside of the barrels are grungy. The .22 barrel is so fouled that it took a minute of looking to be able to see any hint of rifling. It's a head-scratcher to me how someone could leave a gun like that. Anyhow, I spent an hour or so cleaning and am very happy with it now. All grunge & stains went away with some wd40 and light rubbing. Fouling wasn't bad to get rid of, both barrels became mirror-like and rifle barrel has strong rifling. It was advertised as "NRA Very Good" and I think it's at least that. Flaws are, small ding/puncture wound on the pistol grip area of the stock, a bit of wear showing on the edges of the trigger guard (satin finish rubbed off), and the odd speck or freckle on the outside of the barrels (which could well go away when I do a better cleaning). There is also the odd light handling mark on the buttstock, but it's definately not beat up. Blueing's good (but rubbed off at sharp edges around muzzles) and the satin receiver looks good with only a couple of minute scuff marks that you can only see if the light's hitting it right.
<br>
<br>It has no serial # and the barrel selector button on the side of the receiver, which if I understand Bearrr264 correctly, puts it as either a 1962 or 63. One thing that struck me as funny... it was advertised as a "24C", but I could tell that it wasn't the "camper's companion" version. I knew it had 24" barrels and was the satin receiver etc. I just figured the vendor got his models mixed up. But low and behold, it's stamped "Savage 24C, DL". Is that how all 24DL's are labelled? I have a winchester shotgun that's got a different model number (2200) designating it a canadian version of the 1200. Same thing here maybe?
<br>
<br>Anyhow, after my first firearm purchase via the internet, so far I'm pleased. If it shoots as good as it looks then I'll say I've done really well. I'd post a pict if I knew how to do it on this forum! Anyone know of a free picture hosting site??
<br>
<br>Brent

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brent,
<br>
<br>I'm glad it worked out. For the pictures I've posted, I used MSN, in the Fun section, Share Pictures. You have to sign up and receive a small block of storage space to use. After you post your pictures you can get the address from the Property info attached to the photo storage location. I think there are a lot of sites that offer storage with the hope that you will order prints.
<br>
<br>Rick....

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Brent Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the info Rick... I'm giving it a try. If it works you'll see a whole view of my 24, and a closeup of the left side.
<br>
<br>Brent
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]

Brent Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
that's not so hard!
<br>
<br>Brent

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not bad, looks like you did well.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Brent Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
oh, another Q... there is no marking about what the choke is on the 20ga. Were they all improved (?), or full(?). Or does anyone know the diameter of the different choke sizes for 20 ga so I can measure it and know what it is?
<br>
<br>thx
<br>
<br>Brent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brent,
<br>
<br>The Savage catalogs report a full choke. The 24C DL isn't cited in the catalogs, but I have a little later silver frame Model 24DL at my NE house and I'll check it when next I am there.
<br>
<br>Perhaps Canadian export guns were marked with a "C", but it could be just another Savage mystery!
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (2500HD, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,487
Posts18,508,987
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.