Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
DOS was set to switch to M&P 9mm. But apparently the new class getting them are having some reilability issues, so DOS has ended the switch and reversed course

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ns-reliability-issues-returns-sig-sauer/

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The rumor is that the problems are ammo related. The original T&E was done with 9mm ammo and the issued guns are being fed a DPS custom load that's super hot, trying to get back into .357Sig territory.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Hmmm. I'm reminded of "if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Every one of out guys and even our two females like the 357 Sig.
Most say the 31 fits them better than the 21, which is reasonable.
And I actually like the back strap adapters i tend to get a really high grip, and that extended beavertail really feels good.

I also haven't heard of any of the guys qualification scores going down, most everyone has stayed the same or improved

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They ought to get 'em a real pistol.

Like a 1911 .45...

I mean it's Texas, right? laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Sadly, my experience in P.D's and firearms changes, usually has more to do with economics than performance or reliability. Usually the manufacturer that ponies up the best package deal gets the contract. Swat guys and tactical units are usually the exception to this. The poor beat cop or trooper is at the mercy of slashed budgets.

Buy once, cry once.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep. A few of us actually pushed hard for Sig Sauers when we heard that we were upgrading. Had it been solely the cost of handguns. It probably would have flown, but the choice was made to stay with Glock to save the cost of training on a new platform.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
The rumor is that the problems are ammo related. The original T&E was done with 9mm ammo and the issued guns are being fed a DPS custom load that's super hot, trying to get back into .357Sig territory.

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it !

All of my Texas Troppers friends are not happy at all about having to switch back to a 9mm

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have to ask why aren't they using glocks. the sig is a great gun but the glock is more proven that both.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
If they wanted something more powerful than the 9, why didn't they just go with the .40? The 9 is great in +P+ trim but IMO that should be reserved for bigger guns like Beretta's. I'm not sure I'd want to run the thousands of rounds most cops shoot through my M&P Compact. Then again I assume Texas Dept. of Public Safety or whatever the HP's are part of got full size M&P's.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I have to ask why aren't they using glocks. the sig is a great gun but the glock is more proven that both.

I don't know about that. Sig's have an excellent track record. I've never seen a blown up Sig. Not knocking Glocks I carry two of them every day

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Lots of Texas State Troopers I know carry Glocks in .357 Sig Caliber for their off duty guns. And would rather have a Glock Duty Weapon. But Sig has a big contract with the TDPS for a long time, and a great reputation for Custoer Service.

Personally, I'd prefer a Glock 32 in .357 Sig caliber, and carry one ever day.
I'd sure prefer it over the S&W M&P in 9mm or a Sig 226 DAK in 357 sig any old day. cool

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a Sig 226 LEO trade in 40 S&W, what a sweet shooting handgun.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never pass a deal on a LE gun. Most have some wear on the outside but have almost never been shot.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Never pass a deal on a LE gun. Most have some wear on the outside but have almost never been shot.

Especially if carried by a supervising officer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had the early M&P and they had issues. We finally had S&W swap the firearms but others and I much preferred the Glock over the M&P's! I do like the old model 10's and 686's.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Especially if carried by a supervising officer

That's true. As much as I shoot, it ain't my police stuff. Shooting that crap reminds me of work.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Montana Highway Patrol and the Wardens here all carry the 226 in 357 Sig. I have seen them jam on the range when the mags were dumped and not wiped off thoroughly before putting them back in the gun.

On a side note a few years ago at a firearms instructor training one of the troopers was loading a mag and dropped a round. The range had ground up reclaimed asphalt spread out on the ground. The round fell just right on the primer and it went off. The bullet came up and gave him a bruise on his forearm.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beltrami

On a side note a few years ago at a firearms instructor training one of the troopers was loading a mag and dropped a round. The range had ground up reclaimed asphalt spread out on the ground. The round fell just right on the primer and it went off. The bullet came up and gave him a bruise on his forearm.

With no barrel or chamber to allow pressure to build in - I'm surprised the bullet did anything.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
They ought to get 'em a real pistol.

Like a 1911 .45...

I mean it's Texas, right? laugh

Heck, with a 1911 they could adopt the 9x25 147's at 1350 fps oughta work. grin

Funny, it seems like 2-3 months ago the M&P was the equal of the Glock as far people singing it's praises. Now people are complaining left & right smirk

The last two Sigs I've owned had issues. I fixed the 938 and still have it. Glocks & I don't get along. Much as I like the BHP, both of mine need work.

So I bought one of these:

[Linked Image]

so far it works and shoots perfectly. Which it should, it costs as much as a 1911 grin

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 04/17/14. Reason: add stuff

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It wasn't much, just a small bruise the size of the bullet. We were all standing near him when it happened. Everyone thought he had a ND. The case was in pieces at his feet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 62 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,437
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.